Introduce yourself...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Introduce yourself...

Postby Caution » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm a long time Pratchett fan in the U.S.

I am generally a non-participant in forums and the like and spend most of my time lurking (and have been doing so since the days of a.f.p.)

In another lifetime I ran the US mirror of L-Space.

I'm 35, a software engineer, married to a lovely woman who shares my love of all things Pratchett. I live in Salem, MA in the US and I can't wait to cast my vote for Barack Obama to replace the current lunatic that occupies the Oval Office (Pre-emptive apology to all non-Americans, I voted against him in both elections and I'm sorry that I didn't work hard enough to stop him from getting elected a second time).

I'm a music lover (of all sorts other than country), a film junkie, a literature nut and all-around nice guy.
Caution

Postby catrine » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi all

Hope to get to know you

Been a fan for ages

Usually wearing purple
Describe the snake
"no legs - seamed to be mainly tail"
catrine

Postby Lil'Luggage » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:36 am

Hiya! *waves to catrine and Caution*

I've also been a fan for a long while now, and keep an eye on a couple of forums.
Lil'Luggage

Re: Introduce yourself...

Postby Throat » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:43 am

Caution wrote:I can't wait to cast my vote for Barack Obama to replace the current lunatic that occupies the Oval Office (Pre-emptive apology to all non-Americans, I voted against him in both elections and I'm sorry that I didn't work hard enough to stop him from getting elected a second time).
Hi Caution, nice to see you.

Good luck in November. The world has its fingers crossed and is holding its breath.
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard.
Throat

Postby HoldenMyown » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 am

Hello all.
I am a huge fan & live in the US. I have read all of the Disc books & most of the non-disc ones. My favorite "series" is the City Watch & my favorite charactor is Sam Vimes. Carrot & Moist are neck-and-neck for second.
Thanks,
Holden MyOwn
HoldenMyown

Postby Jeannie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:23 am

Hey all, thought I'd wander on over and say hi :D

I'm a long time Pratchett fan, and I'm a regular poster on the Harper Colins TP forum. My favourite books are the Watch books but I love all the DW series, my favourite character is Angua but that's probably because I have a obsession with werewolves :lol:

I'm in the UK, I work in the medical/ care sector and inbewteen working and looking after my family I like to chill out by reading or sketching.

Anyhoo, look forward to 'meeting' more TP fans here :D
Jeannie

Postby death » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:19 am

hi all big time diskworld fan here in uk. fav book prob the truth first book i read of his was hogfarther
HO HUM
death

Postby Popcap » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:53 pm

hiya, :D love the discworld, im 18 and and i am from sweden

im into a lot of forums, gaming mostly... and im usually named Vimes there, hence my signature
Popcap

Postby Toothy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi Jeannie! Good to see you here, too! :D

*waves back to Renta* Yup! Looking forward to the Con - exciting! :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby honestjon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 pm

shalom.
i'm 22 and a fan for almost 10 years now. i got introduced to discworld after confiding with a family friend my love for douglas adams.

i've read all the paperbacks besides making money and that's because i'm traveling at the moment.

i'm sure i'm missing a lot of the jokes not being a native to england and not being a native to english but i still love it. i recommend on it to anyone who's willing to listen :)
honestjon

Postby Popcap » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:22 pm

honestjon wrote:i'm sure i'm missing a lot of the jokes not being a native to england and not being a native to english but i still love it. i recommend on it to anyone who's willing to listen :)

feel that to sometimes... im rereading pyramids atm

is "how singular of me" a joke or an expression? The pharao says it to Pteppic when theyre talking about how he gave pteppic a warming pan for birthday present XD :P its funny if you translate it anyways
Popcap

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm

For those of you have have trouble with the jokes - and that goes for us English speakers as well. :wink: I'd recommend The Annotated Pratchett Files on L-Space.

They are not complete but they are a useful guide.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ptim » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 pm

Popcap wrote:
honestjon wrote:i'm sure i'm missing a lot of the jokes not being a native to england and not being a native to english but i still love it. i recommend on it to anyone who's willing to listen :)

feel that to sometimes... im rereading pyramids atm

is "how singular of me" a joke or an expression? The pharao says it to Pteppic when theyre talking about how he gave pteppic a warming pan for birthday present XD :P its funny if you translate it anyways

"How singular of me" is an expression, The king has begun to realise how mad he used to be and the expression is a deliberate understatement (like if you did something well by chance you might say "how clever of me" knowing it wasnt) singular in this case is means "individual" as if it wasnt a strange present but rather a deliberate act of individuallity
Ptim

Location: London, England, UK, Solar System, Milkey Way, Universe, etc...

Postby VesuvianRuin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Just realised that my first post didn't post to this thread!

Anyway....

Hello all

I'm from UK, read every PTerry book through at least 5-6 times as I can never get enough of the Discworld. I've read a few of the Spanish translations too and PTerry does translate well.

Anyone in my family thinks of me and books, they immediately come up with Terry Pratchett. They never buy me a Pratchett book though as they know I've already got them all!

Look forward to posting on this forum.
Nietzsche: "Nothing is true, everything is possible"
VesuvianRuin

Postby Jeannie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Toothy wrote:Hi Jeannie! Good to see you here, too! :D

Yay Toothy, you're here too! :D
Jeannie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum