Short Stories

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Short Stories

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:57 am

I have been looking for the DW Short Stories for some time. I can't seem to find them here (Greece) and in the few places I've found them on the internet, the sellers do not ship them here.

Any ideas on how I could get my hands on them?

Thanks!
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Jinx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 am

At one point in time I did have some weblinks to the short stories for reading online. I'll see if I can dig them out for you.
Jinx

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 am

Thank you Jinx! That'd be great!

:D
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 am

A lot of these stories are on the Internet - however downloading them can cause legal issues as Terry obviously isn't getting any royalties for downloaded stories.

I don't know if you've managed to read The Sea and Small Fishes? This is a lovely story about Granny and the witches at a Witch Trial. Well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

There was a book published that contained just about all the short stories - Once More With Footnotes, but it was expensive and a short run. I just looked at Amazon.uk and they want over £500 for it. :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 am

Yes, that's the one I've been looking for. But it's either TOO expensive or not shipping in Greece.

:? :x
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Jinx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:20 am

The particular website with the links I was thinking of claimed to be hosting them legally. They had a wide selection of authors with a link to 1 or 2 short stories written by each with links to an online book store. There was a notice somewhere on the site that said something along the lines of, they have permission from the publishers and their purpose is to promote the respective authors.

In hindsight, perhaps I was a little naive to believe that. What's your take on that?
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:28 am

I think that if it's on one of Terry's publisher's sites such as Transworld or Harper Collins, then it's legal. I've seen all sorts of Pratchett stuff online - including the Discworld maps on a Russian site that can be downloaded.

It's usually pretty clear if the site is a bit dodgy - so a bit of thought is needed. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 am

Give me a link!!
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby Jinx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:59 pm

I found this one by doing a google search http://members.fortunecity.com/bookdepo ... ories.html

It has links to 4 stories. I've read 3 of them (I think). If The Sea and Little Fishes is the same one I'm thinking of then it's the best of the lot.
I haven't come across the link I was originally looking for though.
Notice from site's main page:
This is my private reading room, comprised of books I've always wanted to see online.

Just to make this absolutely clear: I put those books here for my personal reading pleasure. If you want to browse through my library, I can't be held legally responsible for anything you may find.
By entering this page you agree to these conditions.
You're the one that's going to burn in hell for your sins.

Enjoy.

The Management
Jinx

Postby Annebn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:08 pm

The theatre of cruelty is published, legally, here: http://www.lspace.org/books/toc/toc-english.html

And Death and what comes next, here: http://www.lspace.org/books/dawcn/dawcn-english.html
Annebn

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks Anne! :D I have a feeling that Sea and Little Fishes used to be there as well. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Annebn wrote:The theatre of cruelty is published, legally, here: http://www.lspace.org/books/toc/toc-english.html

And Death and what comes next, here: http://www.lspace.org/books/dawcn/dawcn-english.html

Yay! :D I forgot L-space had them too.
Jinx

Postby 50ft queenie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:32 pm

:D

Oh, thank you all!! You've been great!

I'll go read now!

^__^
50 and rising
50ft queenie

Postby LadyL » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:24 pm

Tonyblack wrote:A lot of these stories are on the Internet - however downloading them can cause legal issues as Terry obviously isn't getting any royalties for downloaded stories.

I don't know if you've managed to read The Sea and Small Fishes? This is a lovely story about Granny and the witches at a Witch Trial. Well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

There was a book published that contained just about all the short stories - Once More With Footnotes, but it was expensive and a short run. I just looked at Amazon.uk and they want over £500 for it. :shock:

This book has been recently published in Germany, at least I think it contains the same stuff as Once more with Footnotes, like the shortstories, interviews and articles.

Its called "Der ganze Wahnsinn" and actually its the only DW book I have ever bought in german language :wink:
LadyL

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Hope it's a good one Lydia. :wink:
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Discworld novels