Good Omens.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Good Omens.

Postby mspanners » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:03 am

I would recommend this Book a lot.
If you are into Terry's sense of humour then this book is a must......... even if it is just to read about Deaths part in the Book.Neil Gaiman co-wrote the book with Him,it is VERY good. 8)
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:48 am

It's a book that I'm very fond of as well. :) I love the feelings of nostalgia that Adam creates. Even though Adam lives in a world of computers and TV, he seems to live a sort of 'Just William' existance.

I'd also recommend the books of Neil Gaiman if you like Good Omens. I think my favourite so far in American Gods, but Anansi Boys, Neverwhere and Stardust are all really good and well worth checking out.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Colin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 am

Seconded to everything Tony says there ...

I have more copies of 'Good Omens' than any other book ... six at the last count, and they are all 'different' :lol:
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Jarmara » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am

Good Omens is my favourite book, full stop.

I got quite dismayed by the news that Terry Gillingham was going to direct the movie but happily that seems dead in the water now, phew!
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:48 pm

If anyone ever makes it as a movie, then I think Terry Gilliam would be perfect. I really think he'd do a great job of it, but then he is one of my favourite directors. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Oh gods no.

Just.... no.

The beauty of Good Omens is that it's the normal world with paranormal things happening in it. If Gillingham gets hold of it it'll become Fantasy Earth with crazy people doing crazy things and the entire flavour of the story will be lost. Gillingham is a fantasy director, Good Omens is not a fantasy book.

Or at least, not to me it isn't.

Jarmara

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

crowley remarking the m25 best bit for me as a builder. clever use of historically correct alledged antichrists as well
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Blackwolfdreaming » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:44 pm

So far I'm on my fifth edition of good omens. It's generally the book I say to people "Give this a read if you enjoy it there is a universe on a parallel plane that was never meant to fly that I'd like to introduce you to". For my money Terry Gilliam is the only director that could do it justice as a film though Guillermo del Toro might run him a close second.
Have you ever noticed that, just when you think your shot is about to sail into the back of the net, some one moves the goal posts
Blackwolfdreaming

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Blackwolfdreaming wrote:Guillermo del Toro might run him a close second.

I agree. And as for the book, loved it loved it loved it.
Dotsie

Postby WannabeAngua » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Absolutely loved Good omens, and Neverwhere as well....brilliant!
Anansi boys didn't quite do it for me.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Jarmara wrote:Oh gods no.

Just.... no.

The beauty of Good Omens is that it's the normal world with paranormal things happening in it. If Gillingham gets hold of it it'll become Fantasy Earth with crazy people doing crazy things and the entire flavour of the story will be lost. Gillingham is a fantasy director, Good Omens is not a fantasy book.

Or at least, not to me it isn't.

Crazy people doing crazy things? This 'real' world is full of those already I would venture... The US voting in the Dumbest most war-mongering Man in the World not once... but twice!???? :roll: And 'Flash in the Pan' Gordon Brown convincing everyone that we're having a 'downturn' and not a full-blown recession if we trust the Bank of England - yeah right! :x

Terry Gilliam - eminently suitable for Good Omens I'd have thought - Twelve Monkeys? Brazil? Years of sending up the 'Establishment' in Monty Python (for TV and film)... give the man the job 8)

Or maybe Ridley Scott - he had us pretty convinced that climate change was inevitable in Blade Runner and that Unicorns SHOULD exist in Legend and did humankind a HUGE favour by holding his hands up to the long-denied phenomenon that Men do drive Women completely lala in Thelma & Louise?

Plus Black Hawk Down which vaguely brings us back to the Father of the Dumbest war-mongering Man in the World and the Biggest Bull-sh*tter in the World just to convince us that this Planet is doomed to have callous, mendacious, and idiotic world leaders... there is no sanity out there folks *goes off to get a permanent visa to Ankh Morpork and/or Mordor* (at least Vetinari is an efficient cynic in his autocracy and Sauron gives megalomania bags of conviction and of course black is sooo flattering on any minion...) :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jarmara » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:50 pm

and...breathe :roll:

What I perhaps failed to adequately convey was that I find Gilliam's work, especially lately, has tended to create a wacky alternate reality where everything is Fantasy wrote large. What I believe Good Omens needs is to be set in very much an actual reality, with no jolly arch winking at the how Fantasy we're being. If you give it a wacky treatment, you lose the subtlety of the narrative. Gilliam has produced decent work in the past, but it's never been in touch with reality and his portfolio has been sadly lacking in quality for the last decade or so.

Jarmara

Postby Dotsie » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Jarmara wrote:What I believe Good Omens needs is to be set in very much an actual reality, with no jolly arch winking at the how Fantasy we're being.

What she said 8)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby robrffr » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:34 pm

Good Omens is the greatest book ever written!!! I'm on my third copy, as the books keep falling apart!!! :shock: :lol:
robrffr

Postby Imkihca » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 am

I love this book, I'm currently trying to get a friend into Terry Pratchett and I've given her Good Omens to read as a taster since she's not so into fantasy. Fingers crossed she likes it as much as I do!
Imkihca

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books