A bit creepy

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Am leaning towards the atmospheric signal theory right now.
It happend again last evening, and this time I had a friend visiting and my son and cats was with us in the livingroom.
Now have reliable witness, so noone can claim it was my imagination running wild :)

My boyfriend was told about the episodes, and he said this particular receiver is able to pick up signals from houses 1/2 mile away almost. Guess this is the most likely explanation.

Liked your version Dotsie. If this was the case, I would ask my son to tell the aliens to please pick up some of the weirdos they have dumped on earth on earlier trips here :D
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Catch-up » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:46 pm

That sounds like the most logical situation. I know we expereinced the same thing and so have others we know. Do you have the option to switch yours to a different channel (if that's the right word)? We had an A and B switch on ours. Switching it to B took care of our problem.
Catch-up

Postby WannabeAngua » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Yes, think we've got up to 10 different channels.
Am not sure how to switch it, so I think I'll just put up with my "ghost infested" baby listener until my boyfriend gets home :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby sweeper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 am

Hey, i was having an interesting chat with a cabbie the other day, it turns out that the c.b radios they use can interfere with things like car alarms and baby monitors, anything that uses an air-wave frequency. In that light i think you could have been picking up a signal from either a cab, a police car or even an ambulance or something like that. Try not to worry and it'l all work ok in the end LOL!!!
Remember rule one: The Sweeper
sweeper

Postby Catch-up » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:Yes, think we've got up to 10 different channels.
Am not sure how to switch it, so I think I'll just put up with my "ghost infested" baby listener until my boyfriend gets home :)

Let us know if it works!
Catch-up

Postby Sirandilas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Youd be amazed at how many radio signals theer are bouncing around your average neighbourhood

Depending on what frequency the unit is using it coudl be picking up cordless phones, other baby listeners, FM/AM radio signals, CB Radios, Kids Walkie Talkies even harmoinics from other frequencies. The radio spectrum is pretty cluttered especially in teh unlicenced (or "Junk") bands that products liek that use.

We installed a Wireless comms installation at the Aquarium in the Park here in SF and there is a signal in a frequency band that shoudlnt be there. There is nothing there using that frequency and no-one knows where it is coming from.

RF is weird stuff
Sirandilas

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 pm

:lol: Or it could be the ghost of a baby... :wink:

Seriously, if it was the ghost of a baby how come ghost hunters never seem to have picked signals that way before? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:00 pm

As the unit is probably on a VHF or UHF frequency the recent high pressure over Britain could have increased the range of the transmitted signal by several miles due to a phenomenon known as tropospheric ducting. This is the same as the conditions that cause TV interference, mainly on analogue channels and is used by radio amateurs to communicate at these frequencies over hundreds of miles when the normal range only extends as far as the horizon.
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby The23rdman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Ooo! This all reminds me of the ghosts in the machines the radio operators in WWII used to pick up. Very spooky indeed.
The23rdman

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Like the Skip we got on CB radio then? That was a real pain, hundreds of Italians crawling all over our transmissions. :shock: :? It was fun when we could chat to people who spoke English from so far away though. :D
What ever happened to CB radio? :(
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Tiffany wrote:Like the Skip we got on CB radio then? That was a real pain, hundreds of Italians crawling all over our transmissions. :shock: :? It was fun when we could chat to people who spoke English from so far away though. :D
The government got greedy and started demanding that people had licences for them. But I suspect that the Internet may have had a lot to do with the demise of CB. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:40 pm

CB was only fun when it was illegal. When it was legalised the glamour went. (They should legalise ALL drugs, sell them in Government run shops like in India, tax them and use the money for the NHS)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 pm

I had a license for my CB radio, cost £14 I think.
It was the Skip that stopped me using it in the end. It got so bad I couldn't chat to the truckers on the main road 1/2 a mile away. I did meet a few of them though. :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Tiffany wrote:Like the Skip we got on CB radio then? That was a real pain, hundreds of Italians crawling all over our transmissions. :shock: :? It was fun when we could chat to people who spoke English from so far away though. :D

The UK legal 27/81 FM frequencies were replaced in 1996 by the CEPT ones which are the old 'Pirate' frequencies as used in the USA. They are licence free and radios are available. They are still technically FM only and there is a growing interest in 'Freebanding' with a lot of keen DXers.
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Tiffany » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:38 pm

I remember everyone moaning about that at the time, Straw Walker, I'd have had to buy a new CB radio, but by then the novelty had worn off some what anyway & I had found other interests instead.
Do they still get that dreadful skip?
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum