Beautiful English

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

If it doesn't already exist somebody really ought to do a collection of Dubya's best (that is worst of course) reinventions of common expressions. He definitely missed his calling really :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:57 pm

i so a video show of all his little mishaps, very funny except for the 9 11 one in the school when the agent told him of the attack you could see the colour draining from his face :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:If it doesn't already exist somebody really ought to do a collection of Dubya's best (that is worst of course) reinventions of common expressions. He definitely missed his calling really :twisted:

You're too late. There have been several books full of Bushisms and the Internet is full of them. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby big yan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm

its funny watching him now.
but remember, that clown had his finger on the big boom button!
big yan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Tonyblack wrote: You're too late. There have been several books full of Bushisms and the Internet is full of them. :wink:

Hmmm - I wasn't thinking of writing one exactly :P My brain managed not to think about Bush much at all during both terms but that was more a survival tactic as I had more than enough to worry about closer to home, not to mention an inanely grinning posh Scot shopping around for smart-arse war-mongering speech-writers, whilst the dour surly Scot found ways not to spend too much on arming and protecting the poor chaps who had to go out and fight for them for no good reason.

Come to think of it a few malaprops and spoonerism might have made things a little more bearable over here too :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm

wot do you mean jan instead of the dictator in charge at the moment coz i cant remember electing him :evil:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:53 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:If it doesn't already exist somebody really ought to do a collection of Dubya's best (that is worst of course) reinventions of common expressions. He definitely missed his calling really :twisted:

You're too late. There have been several books full of Bushisms and the Internet is full of them. :wink:

I saw a desk calendar of Bushisms in Borders once. A good laugh right up until I thought of....

big yan wrote:its funny watching him now.
but remember, that clown had his finger on the big boom button!

.. this!
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 am

Yes, I got to feel that the joke had worn thin after a while. Like when he got elected the second time. :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yes, I got to feel that the joke had worn thin after a while. Like when he got elected the second time. :evil:

I don't think I ever fully recovered from that. The last election helped a bit. 8) :D
Catch-up

Postby Byakuran » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Did someone mention Bush?

"The french have no word for 'entrepreneur.'" I can't stop thinking of that one XD
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Postby Stultus Saxum » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:26 am

In response to yourselves ( :evil: ) on the matter of bad english, this thread is titled 'Beautiful English'. I haven't read every post, but you do seem to be bringing up examples of abuse of the english language.

So:

There is a sign in the village in which I live that is now missing two apostrophes (one on each side). The garage concerned was offering to carry out MOT's. It is no longer. Sticky-back plastic, whilst very handy in a Blue Peter setting, is easily removed from painted metal. :wink:
Stultus Saxum

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 am

Stultus Saxum wrote:In response to yourselves ( :evil: ) on the matter of bad english, this thread is titled 'Beautiful English'. I haven't read every post, but you do seem to be bringing up examples of abuse of the english language.

So:

There is a sign in the village in which I live that is now missing two apostrophes (one on each side). The garage concerned was offering to carry out MOT's. It is no longer. Sticky-back plastic, whilst very handy in a Blue Peter setting, is easily removed from painted metal. :wink:

Oh direct action! I like it. Have you read Lynn Truss's book: "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"? She suggests something similar. I must admit that I have the urge to carry around a pocket full of magic markers for those moments when the internal editor takes over. :twisted:

Welcome to the site Stultus Saxum. :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Come and visit Japan. For some reason people walk around wearing the most stupid slogans in English and have absolutely no idea what they mean (usually nothing), but they are "trendy" because they have English words on them. Here are some examples (I kid you not!);

"Natures is wonderful. Save sheeps." (T-shirt)

"The luxury of choosing. Fast and concise on the run." (A bag I bought)

"Memories are treasured. Do you remember porridge." (A sweater)

PS Tony, I like the way on a "beautiful English" thread you spell "apologIZE" the American way!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Stultus Saxum » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Oh direct action! I like it. Have you read Lynn Truss's book: "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"? She suggests something similar. I must admit that I have the urge to carry around a pocket full of magic markers for those moments when the internal editor takes over. :twisted:

Welcome to the site Stultus Saxum. :D

'nk you. (He says, humbly, to one of the key members of this forum).

Read her book? Not only have I read it, but it was my inspiration.

I must admit, however, that I rediscovered said inspiration on Tuesday evening tucked away in the bottom of a locked (?) cardboard box stuffed unceremoniously in the deepest corner of our dingy attic ... behind a sign saying "Beware of the Dust Mites". (With apologies to Mr D. Adams)
Stultus Saxum

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:15 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
PS Tony, I like the way on a "beautiful English" thread you spell "apologIZE" the American way!

Does this mean I'm turning American? :shock: I've already learned to eat one-handed. :lol:

Actually, I ran it through the Word spellchecker that is set to UK English and it didn't show up as an error, so I'm assuming it's an alternate spelling.

And, damn it! We don't use the letter Z enough these days. It's becoming an endangered species in the UK. Use it or lose it. :wink:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum