ASSASSINS GAME (TAKE II) - SIGN UPS

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:21 pm

The thing about the killers is, they might say something stupid and give themselves away.

The following is an example from the "Elf" game we had.

Pooh said
"So you want some logic do you? OK. 8)

Sjoerd3000 wrote:So clearly Jan cannot be an elf and I am of course innocent as always :wink:

The first half of this statement is clearly false. :twisted: There is no way that Sjoerd could possibly know that Jan isn't an elf. If the first half is false, it would not be unreasonable to assume the second half is false too. Therefore Sjoerd is an elf AND that would mean Jan is also an Elf." :twisted:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby michelanCello » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 pm

I don't get it. Why can't he say "So clearly Jan cannot be an elf ", if that's what he thinks? If there's been some posting going on, than he might've got the impression of Jan being innocent...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Yeah wot mC said
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Because it was the first round. It would have been impossible for Sjoerd to know exactly what Jan was. So why was he saying it was impossinle for Jan to be an Elf? :P

And who were the two Elf killers? Jan and Sjoerd. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:53 pm

I'll play again 8)

And I was innocent in that game! :P (Deny everything! :P )
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:13 pm

deldaisy wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:He wouldn't have been killed. :lol:

And you wouldn't have known you'd protected a killer.

Jan said: I think it was pooh who said that actually - but I explain it below anyway : :wink:
If you protect someone and nobody is killed, then you know the person you protected is innocent.

Oh so WIllem would have been off killing someone else.....

So what the hell is the voting for then??? when people vote for an OFF.

There is a situation where you would know - if the other killer has already been voted off which is controlled to some degree by the 2 cops who persuade the other innocents by sharing the information with the others (on thread or by PM as pooh says).

So if there's only 1 killer left in the game, you protect someone and there isn't a kill that night - who have you protected? You in fact protected everyone else because you stopped the only remaining killer. Then you reveal your ID because you've got 'im by the short and curlys :lol:

There is a way out for the killer but it would take a player of great cool and cunning to pull it off. Wanna know how? Ask Pooh! :lol:

There are dangers in doing by either method and in general it's best to preserve your cop ID as long as you can
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:45 pm

When do we start, by the way?
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: soooo if you protect a killer he can't kill????
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....... and if you protect a cop?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 pm

If you protect some one and he/she/it has a special role he/she/it can not fulfill that role. A killer cannot kill and a questioner cannot question
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby michelanCello » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:If you protect some one and he/she/it has a special role he/she/it can not fulfill that role. A killer cannot kill and a questioner cannot question

:shock: But that's not fair! I mean, the questioner is a good guy! As is the protector. Good guys should stick together... I mean why isn't is so that if the protector protects the questioner, he only protects him? So that he can't be killed... without protection he's an easy target for the killers, isn't he?
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 pm

Yep - that's called 'blocking'. The Protector's the most powerful innocent role as you can actually stop the killers choice (and get a no kill result so you know that person's innocent if everyone's in the game - I once protected Killer Crys and there was no kill because her partner wasn't around to kill anyone else :roll: ) and sometimes identify them. If you get the other cop. it's a little like one step forwards two steps back in that you stop them doing their job but you could also save them from being killed like the other ordinary innocents.

Main thing is that you don't attempt to protect the person voted off as they're history and out of the game. :wink: I won't hold it against you, 'cos you couldn't have saved me anyway... :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Uh, count me in again.

But if we have only six people and there are six roles, who are the innocents (no roles) going to be? How many minimum "innocents" do you need to have to make this doable? Or does this not really matter?
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 am

The optimum number for the game is 7 - any less and the eliminations go too fast 'cos there's 2 kills per full session - the day (voting) and the night (secret killing) phases.

You can't have a stalemate in other words and odd numbers are better for gameplay and also it's better to have more than 1 cop and 1 killer, as again it finishes too quickly and the killer really is too handicapped. Ideally the innocents (no active role players) should outnumber the active roles by at least 1 to make a good fight of it - hence our preferred 7 minimum. Any lower and you'd really need to be cutting the active roles to even it up a little (so for instance with 6 players you could have 2 killers still, 1 cop and the rest innocents and 2 against 4 with equal active and non-active roles :roll: ).

The Elf game pooh mentioned was unusual and failed for several reasons, one being that Dotsie missed voting because the runner wasn't around and, because we only had 6 'for real' players we voted a cop off by accident so Pooh, who was the other cop, was forced to come out and reveal his ID early and there were all kinds of errors, forced and unforced (like Sjoerd being so 'positive' about my not being a Killer - I was! :lol: ) So pooh was right, again by 'accident' although he can sound very sure of himself... :P and he persuaded the remaining players to vote me off, but then it came out about Dotsie and the game fell to bits at that point, due to some external factors in that I was having a 19th nervous breakdown in Roundworld :oops: and asked pooh for a truce and to play football with me on Xmas Eve, so we abandoned that one too by mutual agreement, although technically it was an Innocents win or looking that way :roll: :lol:

The more permutations there are the better the strategy and gameplay needed. I think/hope we can get a 7th person so lets give it another day perhaps? Pooh can decide when he gets on after work anyway and perhaps we can try the 2 killer 1 cop formation instead if we're still 6 :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 am

Unnnnhh....sure.

Just one wee request...can this go a bit faster? Last round it seemed to take forever to start and 4-5 days between day/night shifts really sucked some of the energy out of it. Maybe that's why some people dropped out after awhile?
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 pm

2 people never dropped in to start with remember Jeff :P

In the usual gameplay it starts with a murder - it's a bit like Cluedo (or Clue is it in the USA?) and how it happened. The first round is a complete and utter lottery - noboby except the killers know each other and - with something to talk about , so normally (even if Bikkit's playing and not showing up) - there are enough of us around to chatter and insult and keep the interest up and we should allow time for people to have a chance to post. If all the votes are in early then we can bring deadlines forwards easily so it's garment to cloth basically. Pooh did try do that but it didn't flow too well.

The reason we were so sloooow last time was because Cur was being a right smartypants and not giving us environment enrichment - something to do or info to do so, because he was presumably trying to confirm his active-role players, and he wanted additionaly to experiment with the setup structure (the masterclass/post-grad competition) rather than a murder scenario, which is of course much more interesting and gives us all something to declare our innocence over - last time we'd all killed to pass our finals, but there had been no initial murder to focus on and kick things off.

For example we could all have showed up at our Masterclass and Dr. Black, :P (the tutor who should have been taking the course) could have been lying face down on the desk with a knife in his back and Cur there to take over from him and used that death as our kick start? :lol: Because we weren't starting with a ready made corpse there was little point to the first lottery of a vote off, as no one had yet been killed - rather than inhumed. So I was bloody well inhumed for no reason at all by you bunch of b*strds which is why I kept whining on about dignity and honour so much! :roll: 8)
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Games