COMMENTS ON'the thread where we write after one another'

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

COMMENTS ON'the thread where we write after one another'

Postby cols » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Didn't want to spoil the other thread by leaving comments in it as it's starting off nicely and I didin't want to mess it up.!

I'm enjoying reading but won't be posting as I lack articulation skills but get cracking all you talented people it's a great idea to have several influences in the pot! :D
cols

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

we had a go at this b4 hope this one carries on a bit longer :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Re: COMMENTS ON'the thread where we write after one another'

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:05 pm

cols wrote:Didn't want to spoil the other thread by leaving comments in it as it's starting off nicely and I didin't want to mess it up.!

I'm enjoying reading but won't be posting as I lack articulation skills but get cracking all you talented people it's a great idea to have several influences in the pot! :D

I am with you on this one, Cols. I haven't written any poetry for ages either.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby mspanners » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:07 pm

Looks like it has died.... no one is bothered to post on it.

500 members and hardly anyone posting here....... and it is the offical web site! :shock:
mspanners

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Those sort of games aren't everyone's cup of tea. Other people don't feel themselves creative enough.

As to the 500 members - how many of those members have made more than five posts?

A lot of people find a website such as this one, register and then wander off somewhere else. Other people will register and spend a lot of time lurking without ever posting. It's the nature of message boards.

In the same way, if a thread (no matter how clever) gets few or no responses; it's just one of those things. People may read the threads and feel they haven't anything to contribute. Over the years that I'be been posting on message boards there have been loads of threads that I've started that have just died. It's just the way it is. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:00 pm

mspanners wrote:Looks like it has died.... no one is bothered to post on it.

500 members and hardly anyone posting here....... and it is the offical web site! :shock:

It's not that I'm not bothered, honest. It's just that I have absolutely no imagination, not any. I let Sir Terry do my imagining for me, he's better at it than I am! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby mspanners » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 pm

With 500 members you would have thought someone would have been able to add a line or Two though...... Sad that so many people have joined then just disappeared from the site...... where have they gone! :shock:

Dose DEATH stalk the site.......... :?:

Creepy. :twisted:
mspanners

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:49 pm

It happens eveywhere I'm sad to say, some people, actually a lot of people, for whatever reason, register on a forum, maybe post a few times, then vanish into cyberspace, never to be seen again. :? :( Some never post at all. :? You do wonder why they bother though, don't you. :x
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:08 pm

have a look at the membership list there are loads and loads with no posts
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:09 pm

I've got quite friendly with people online before now and then they've just suddenly disappeared with no explanation. It takes a bit of getting used to when you first start using message boards. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Goodbye..................................

Only joking! :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Phew! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm

'Tis just one of those things - some people's hobbies appear to be joining forums like some people approach 'friending' on Facebook *washes mouth out with soap*

The first Tolkien forum I joined boasts well over 80,000 member (it was started around 2002 so when the films were still red hot). I effectively left about 18 months ago having been a member for over 3 years and during an idle moment when one of my friends & I were having a jolly good bitch about how certain people seemed to think they were running Dachau on there we wondered just how active a membership they really had... We reckoned conservatively that they had a max active population of around 120 and on a 'meaningful' level (so say 5 'decent' posts a week - say about 200 characters long) it probably came out around 55 people.

This is their latest stats -
Our users have posted 757,202 Posts in 16,479 Topics in 46 Forum(s)
We have 85,771 Forum Members

Not bad hmmm? That still only works out at roughly 8.8 posts per member...
OK look at my stats (from tonight for the time I was there bearing in mind I haven't posted on there since Xmas 2007

Account Status: Active
Joined: 06/Mar/2005 at 1:45pmLast Visit: Today at 7:48pm (effectively about 12th Dec 2007)

And I wasn't the most prolific poster on there by a long chalk.

That's a predominately textual roleplay forum and not just concerned with Tolkien stuff - when I joined they had 2 thriving 'creative forums where people could start their own poetry; art/photography; and fan-fiction thread and they were really humming. You could post and be top of the board at lunch and by dinner-time you'd be halfway down page 2.

Last summer they had so little participation they merged those forums because there was so little activity (1 or 2 people posting a day if they were lucky) and the other busier forums where it was mostly chat and games and little bit of very desultory and easy RP were hardly better and they had 9 of those.

Reason for this decline was because I left :lol: I'm only half-joking in fact because my departure was mostly sparked by a perceivable downturn in my 'Home' forum - Rivendell - as it no longer had any identity and might as well have been Khazad-Dum or the Shire for all it was supposed to be Elven...

I'll leave other people to interpret our stats here - the main difference between that site and this is that the active posters here are mostly adults over 25 - there it was and still is around the 13-17 mark... :wink:

This isn't an age thing I promise - on that giant forum there were a lot of talented people having a ball but because of a lot of factors the fun went out of it and people drifted away because the site leaders lost touch with what made it such a popular place - and with things like RP and creative forums people need to feel motivate and encouraged. They lost the plot there and tried to appeal to the majority - the kids and what they THOUGHT they wanted - fun and games and easy posting. Turns out they can get that in plenty of other places so the attrition rate was brutal and membership, committed membership that is, dwindled because people couldn't be bothered any more or felt (like me) they were flogging a dead horse.

So we're doing OK here. :D This thread hasn't had much luck - doesn't matter too much because we had some feedback and people were enjoying it so I don't mind that not so many people have posted...

So....... mspanners and Nightowl if you do come back - if you want to carry on I'm game to as well - and maybe other people will come and join in occasionally? So long as we're having fun tag writing and are relaxed about posting as and when we can get in then let's play on :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Well, I posted, I haven't had much experience (well all right NO experience!) with Terry Pratchett fanfiction. Anyway, I was thinking of starting something like this! So, I am pleased someone did it for me!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby WannabeAngua » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Have also postet one... Have been a bit hesitant, as my grammar and vokabulary isn't really as good as it good as it could have been :oops:

But if you all can forgive a few slipups I will gladly try and contribute :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Next

Return to Games