To anyone that read Lords and Ladies BEFORE Witches Abroad

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Beyond Birthday wrote:As of about two days ago I've started reading Lords and Ladies.
Are you enjoying it?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Beyond Birthday » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 am

I only just started it so no opinion yet. I might post here again once I have one.
Beyond Birthday

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 am

Beyond Birthday wrote:I only just started it so no opinion yet. I might post here again once I have one.

Having no opinion doesn't usually stop people posting here. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby DaveC » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 am

Beyond Birthday wrote:I only just started it so no opinion yet. I might post here again once I have one.

I enjoyed the first few pages...and more.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby raisindot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 pm

DaveC wrote:

Well, I hated the first few pages. Maybe the worst few pages he ever wrote. Page 1 was complete pants, and page 2 was extremely nasty. Page 3 got a little better, but page 4 seemed to be a relapse. I almost put the thing down permanently after nearly vomiting after reading the first 38 words of page 5, but starting with the 39th word things picked up considerably and by page 6 it was smashing good the rest of the way.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 pm

raisindot wrote:
DaveC wrote:

Well, I hated the first few pages. Maybe the worst few pages he ever wrote. Page 1 was complete pants, and page 2 was extremely nasty. Page 3 got a little better, but page 4 seemed to be a relapse. I almost put the thing down permanently after nearly vomiting after reading the first 38 words of page 5, but starting with the 39th word things picked up considerably and by page 6 it was smashing good the rest of the way.

:D

J-I-B

:D :D :D :D
I read the first paragraph then read the last page ...... I do that to every book. If I cant tear my eyes away from the first page to READ the last page I buy it. Or if I like the last page alot.... and want to see how they got to the last page.... buying the book and getting all the in-between pages is always a bonus.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby convenient » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 pm

I feel bad for getting the books on the basis of when they appear at the local second hand bookshops.
I read Lords&Ladies -> Equal Rights -> Carpe Jugulum -> Maskerade and then watched the old cartoon of Wyrd Sisters.
I may have gotten a much better story if I'd read them in order, but the moneys tight and each book did drive me forward to find another Lancre tale..
I reckon there'd be some real benefit, but you'll survive.
INDEED
convenient

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Things change cash flow gets better then you buy some, or get them from your local library then the author gets some money from it. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

reading in order

Postby mamakishbaw » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:40 am

I have no idea really what all the fuss is about. I have read many, many Pratchett books in no particular order whatsoever and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Although it is a bit fun to secretly have a tidbit of info tucked in your ear about one of the characters while you are reading. I picked up Witches Abroad at the grocery store years ago, not having any idea who or what it was, just the cover and byline was interesting. I happily giggled and snickered alone for hours - most enjoyable. And then went on a mission for more, like a disease, an obsession. No over analysis, just good clean fun. Relax and just enjoy the ride.
Did everyone bring potato salad?!
mamakishbaw

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:06 am

Welcome to the site, mamakishbaw! :D

I definitely think you can read them out of order, it's just that in the preface of Lords and Ladies, Terry says that you really need to read Witches Abroad first. I think most of us on this thread would humbly disagree with the Marthter! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 am

Welcome mamakishbaw :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Lords and Ladies before Witches Abroad

Postby mrbluesman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:34 pm

I have to say I read Lords and Ladies first and it still made sense! Why not most of the disc world can be read as indvidual books then you can read them in the correct order!
Mr bluesman
mrbluesman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Welcome MrBluesMan.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Lords and Ladies before Witches Abroad

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

mrbluesman wrote:I have to say I read Lords and Ladies first and it still made sense! Why not most of the disc world can be read as indvidual books then you can read them in the correct order!
I agree! Welcome to the site. :D
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Welcome mrbluesman :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels