The Law's An Ass! (True or False Quiz)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Law's An Ass! (True or False Quiz)

Postby Penfold » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:01 pm

PART ONE (Well, I say part one as I found plenty of these silly laws when researching – certainly more than is feasible to include in one go.) :wink:

Although I’ve taken them from many different sources (both various books and internet sites), I cannot testify to their accuracy or whether they are merely one of those urban myths we hear about. However, as this is just a bit of fun I’m assuming the TRUE answers are correct or at least applied at some time in the past, even if they have since been repealed. The FALSE ones were made up by me or are common misconceptions and might (or might not) contain an explanation. Run your cursor over the quote box (holding down the left click) to reveal the answer.

Have a go and post how many you got right, and please let me know if you want more.

1: For the debaters on the ‘Capital Punishment Thread’, according to a British law passed in 1845, attempting to commit suicide was a capital offence, punishable by hanging.
TRUE

2: It is legal to kill a Scotsman in York if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
TRUE

3: In England, it is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
TRUE

4: In England, the police must obtain a search warrant before entering your house or car.
FALSE

5: In England, a pregnant woman may relieve herself anywhere she likes, including (if she requests) in a policeman’s helmet.
TRUE

6: In Denmark, attempting to escape from prison is illegal.
FALSE (it’s not illegal, but if caught you must serve out the remainder of the term)

7: In the Netherlands, it is illegal to impersonate a blind person after dark.
TRUE

8: In Britain, sticking a postage stamp (showing the Queens head) on an envelope upside down is considered treason.
TRUE

9: It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (England)
TRUE

10: It is illegal to mispronounce Arkansas while in the State of Arkansas
TRUE

11: Prostitution is illegal in Sweden
FALSE (prostitution is legal, but using the services of a prostitute is illegal)

12: In Florida, a woman can be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer as can the salon owner.
TRUE

13: Still in Florida; if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee still has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
TRUE

14: Absinthe is classed as an illegal substance in Switzerland.
FALSE (It is illegal to produce, store, sell, and trade absinthe, but ok to consume it)

15: In Australia, it is illegal to force a kangaroo to drink bottles of beer.
FALSE (it only becomes illegal if it’s more than six bottles)

16: It is illegal for any commoner’s pet to have carnal knowledge of an animal belonging to the monarch.
TRUE

17: The tail of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the head of the Queen’s.
FALSE (it’s the other way around)

18: In Queensland, Australia it is against the law to ask someone if their father was a criminal.
TRUE

19: London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
TRUE.

20: In Switzerland, you are not allowed to wash your car on a Saturday.
FALSE (you’re not allowed to do it on Sunday)

Have fun! :twisted:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:27 pm

:lol: You have been busy, Penners!

Regarding the one about the stamp. Years ago when I worked in the Post Office, an elderly lady told me that she'd put a stamp on upside down when she was young and had a visit from the police and an official warning. :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:31 pm

I hate this bloody country! No 3 :evil: :lol:

I got 12 right - there's a load of really stupid laws out there! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:38 pm

In some of these (such as the Florida ones) you can imagine someone being taken to court for tying an elephant to a parking meter, getting away with it and so the people who make the laws there being determined to make sure n one else gets away with it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Got ten right... Jan's right, people who make the law do make up a lot of rubbish sometimes... :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Got about 15 right

No 16 is an interesting one- must limit the options for breeding the Queen's Corgis and racehorses
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Got 16 right. Even if you don't know the answer, some you can work out by just being cynical and observing history :lol:
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby mystmoon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Got 19 right, stupid Switzerland not conforming to stereotype :evil:
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:48 pm

on 16 , i dont think my great dane could molest a corgi even if he wanted too :lol: :lol: and i am definately a commoner 8)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Regarding the one about the stamp. Years ago when I worked in the Post Office, an elderly lady told me that she'd put a stamp on upside down when she was young and had a visit from the police and an official warning. :shock:

The upside down stamps were considered suspicious packages due to the Ira sending out letter bombs. They stuck the stamps on upside down as a sign of disrespect to the monarchy.

[bomb handling trained and always in royal mail and security jobs]
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Re: The Law's An Ass! (True or False Quiz)

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Penfold wrote:2: It is legal to kill a Scotsman in York if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

It is legal only if you shoot them with a bow and arrow and they are within the walls of york city

In scotland there is a by law that states a witch can still be sent to death on a pyre :shock:
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby pip » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm

ghostsecurity28 wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:

The upside down stamps were considered suspicious packages due to the Ira sending out letter bombs. They stuck the stamps on upside down as a sign of disrespect to the monarchy.

[bomb handling trained and always in royal mail and security jobs]

Bloody Irish . :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:20 am

I love the northern irish accent :) [random comment]
ghostsecurity28

Postby pip » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 am

ghostsecurity28 wrote:I love the northern irish accent :) [random comment]

I love the japanese accent. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby james.a.vivian » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:37 am

I love 15, most Kangeroos I know can drink at least a slab.
8)
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Next

Return to Games