Alzheimer's breakthrough ?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Alzheimer's breakthrough ?

Postby Céline » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 pm

[color=darkred]Hello guys and gals,

I'm not familiar with this forum, but as a fan of Terry Pratchett I look at the website from time to time. As part of my everyday's job I received last week the email featured hereunder. This is a press release from a Belgian biotech company ... I'll let you read it if you are able to understand and there are some links to useful sites.

For those who know what Alzheimer means in everyday's life, this is a tremendous sign of hope. And hope is a rather scarce commodity these days ...

This is the least I can do for Terry and his fans, as he made me laugh out loud so often in the subway !!! If only he would feel like writing a book in relation to financial markets I'd be delighted ... Well that would demand an excessive amount of delirious humour as reality is already well advanced in this field !! I'm not sure that even Terry could
cope with it !
[/color]
javascript:emoticon(':D')

Published: 07:30 13.02.2009 GMT+1 /HUGIN /Source: Galapagos NV /BXS: GLPG /ISIN: BE0003818359

Galapagos reveals key drug target for Alzheimer's disease

· Starting point for potential breakthrough treatment
· Published in Science
· U.S. patent granted

Mechelen, Belgium; 13 February 2009 - Galapagos NV (Euronext: GLPG) announces the discovery of a human drug target that plays a key role in Alzheimer's disease. This breakthrough was published today in Science, one of the world's most prestigious scientific journals. The data presented in Science are a result of the collaboration between Galapagos and the academic group of Professor Bart De Strooper at the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology VIB and the KU Leuven in Belgium. The U.S. patent office has granted Galapagos a patent on this discovery.

"GPR3 is a promising drug target for developing a treatment for Alzheimer's. There is a lack of drug targets in this field, and it is gratifying that Galapagos discovered GPR3," commented Onno van de Stolpe, CEO of Galapagos. "Through this collaboration with Professor Bart De Strooper, one of the leading experts in the Alzheimer's field, we have been able to prove the key role of GPR3 in Alzheimer's and are excited that we can now share these data with the scientific community. Galapagos is now starting drug discovery with the aim to deliver a candidate drug to treat Alzheimer's disease."

Crucial role of drug target
The Science article describes how GPR3 was identified in human cells using Galapagos' platform. The article further describes the role of GPR3 in Alzheimer's disease. Inhibition of GPR3 prevented the accumulation of beta-amyloid, a protein in the brains of Alzheimer's patients that is believed to cause the disease. The article also shows that GPR3 levels are higher in the areas of the brain that are affected in Alzheimer's patients. The activity of GPR3 can likely be inhibited with a small molecule drug. Taken together, GPR3 is a promising drug target for development of a treatment for Alzheimer's disease.

Galapagos has recently been awarded U.S. patent 7,429,459 for the use of GPR3 in screening for Alzheimer's drugs. Similar patent applications are pending in Europe and other major territories. Galapagos made its Alzheimer's discovery in the same way as its novel, patent-protected targets in bone & joint disease were identified.

The article entitled "The orphan G protein-coupled receptor 3 modulates amyloid-beta peptide generation in neurons" is available today through the Science website at www.sciencemag.org and is published in the 13 February[1] printed edition of the journal.

About Alzheimer's disease
Alzheimer's disease is a terminal, degenerative illness that causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior. In 2006 there were an estimated 27 million patients worldwide with Alzheimer; this is expected to quadruple by 2050. There is no cure available for Alzheimer; current therapies address only symptoms of the disease.

About Galapagos' Alzheimer's disease program
Galapagos identified novel targets in Alzheimer's disease using its proprietary adenoviral based discovery platform. This work was supported by a €1.4 million grant from the Flemish IWT. A number of novel targets were identified, including GPR3, and patent applications were filed on the role of these targets in Alzheimer's disease. In January 2006, Galapagos made the strategic decision to focus its internal drug discovery on the bone and joint diseases, but continued working on the Alzheimer's disease program through a collaboration with Professor Bart De Strooper of the VIB and KU Leuven (Belgium). Galapagos plans to enter into discussions with potential pharmaceutical partners while progressing GPR3 into drug discovery.

About Galapagos
Galapagos (Euronext: GLPG; OTC: GLPYY) is a drug discovery and development company with small molecule programs in bone and joint diseases, bone metastasis, cachexia, anti-infectives and metabolic diseases. It has established risk sharing alliances with GSK, Janssen Pharmaceutica, Eli Lilly and Merck. Through an alliance with MorphoSys, Galapagos is also developing new antibody therapies in bone and joint diseases. Its division BioFocus DPI offers a full suite of target-to-drug discovery products and services to pharmaceutical and biotech companies and to patient foundations, encompassing target discovery and validation, screening and drug discovery through to delivery of pre-clinical candidates. Galapagos currently employs 470 people and operates facilities in six countries, with global headquarters in Mechelen, Belgium. More info at: www.glpg.com.

VIB
VIB, the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology, is a non-profit research institute in the life sciences. Some 1,100 scientists and technicians conduct strategic basic research on the molecular mechanisms that control the functioning of the human body, plants, and micro-organisms. Through a close partnership with four Flemish universities - Ghent University, the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, the University of Antwerp, and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel - and a solid investment program, VIB unites the forces of 65 research groups in a single institute. Their research aims at fundamentally extending the frontiers of our knowledge. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB strives to convert the research results into products for the benefit of consumers and patients. VIB also develops and distributes a broad range of scientifically substantiated information about all aspects of biotechnology. More info at: www.vib.be.

K.U. Leuven
The University of Leuven is Belgium's largest university and one of the oldest universities in Europe, founded in 1425. It is a comprehensive university with 14 faculties, with a long tradition of high-quality interdisciplinary research and teaching. The University of Leuven has over 33,000 students (12 percent international) and over 17,000 staff members (8,600 in the various university departments and 8,700 at UZ Leuven, the university hospital). More info at: www.kuleuven.be.

Center for Human Genetics
The Center for Human Genetics provides research, education and services in the fields of genetics, cell biology and developmental biology. With the aid of genetics, the Center strives to increase our understanding of human diseases. It conducts leading research in molecular genetics and provides a platform for genetic technologies to support clinical and fundamental research in Belgium and abroad. The Center places its clinical and scientific expertise at the service of society in the form of advice, diagnosis and treatment. Attention is also directed to the social, ethical and psychological implications of new insights and clinical practices in human genetics on the individual and on society. More info at: http://med.kuleuven.be/dme.

CONTACT

Galapagos NV
Onno van de Stolpe, CEO
Tel: +31 6 2909 8028
ir@glpg.com

This release may contain forward-looking statements, including, without limitation, statements containing the words "believes," "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "could," "stands to," and "continues," as well as similar expressions. Such forward-looking statements may involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which might cause the actual results, financial condition, performance or achievements of Galapagos, or industry results, to be materially different from any historic or future results, financial conditions, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Given these uncertainties, the reader is advised not to place any undue reliance on such forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of publication of this document. Galapagos expressly disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements in this document to reflect any change in its expectations with regard thereto or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such statement is based, unless required by law or regulation.

[1] Full reference: Thathiah, A., Spittaels, K., Hoffmann, M., Staes, M., Cohen, A., Horré, K., Vanbrabant, M., Coun, F., Baekelandt, V., Delecourte, A., Fischer, D.F., Pollet, D., De Strooper, B., and Merchiers, P. The orphan G protein-coupled receptor 3 modulates amyloid-beta peptide generation in neurons. Science 323 (2009), 946-951.

Visit our website: http://www.glpg.com

:D :D
Céline

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:29 pm

Thank you Céline. And welcome to the site, :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 pm

welcome celine and thank you for the info
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby simone » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 am

Research (in mice) has shown that the equivalent of 2 glasses of Apple juice/ day helps to prevent the plaque in the brain that causes AD- perhaps won't help Pterry, but good for the rest of us (as long as it's pure, no added sugar and hopefully organic)

"Sometimes I wonder about how the healthcare community can continue to support certain medical practices or treatments in spite of an avalanche of evidence that they are downright dangerous. That's especially the case with hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

Researchers are doing their best to put a positive spin on two of the latest HRT studies, but in the end, I'm more convinced than ever that HRT is one of the most dangerous scams being foisted upon our nation's women by both Big Pharma and a willing health care community.

Over the course of six years, the first study examined the brain scans of 1,400 women who were part of a Women's Health Initiative (WHI) memory study. This research found no link between brain lesions or any evidence of increased dementia. But don't get too excited just yet. The second study analyzed MRI scans of the same women and concluded that HRT led to a "small but significant" shrinkage of the brain's frontal lobe and hippocampus regions – areas known to be crucial to the brain's ability to handle memory and cognition.
Digression, couldn't find the back-up research for above, and still looking email on cholesterol and uselessness of statins- they actually help cause heart attacks :

So the risks of HRT include cancer, stroke, gallbladder disease, blood clots … and now brain shrinkage? I've yet to hear any legitimately positive things about this treatment. It's unbelievable to me that women subject themselves to all these dangers – aided and abetted by their physicians – just to alleviate postmenopausal symptoms.

As the downside of HRT pile up higher and higher, doctors – and researchers, too, it seems – continue to be in willful denial of the obvious dangers of this treatment. The bottom line is that HRT is a cash cow for many doctors and in the back of their minds, many of them are asking themselves: "What will we do without the hormone pills?"

My advice? Forget HRT. If you're bothered by hot flashes, load up on Vitamins E and C and call it a day."

Gleaned from a US source who usually makes sense.
Hoping to find the info about cholesterol soon- remember most of the advice, but not research back-up :D
simone

Postby chris.ph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 pm

had some really bad news today my 84 yr old father in sin was diagnosed with alzhimers. hes been getting a bit confused lately so the boss took him to the doctors :( he is now going to have the full battery of tests ct scan etc , i imagine this is going to be a little frightening for somebody this age just hoping he casn live with itwhos english isnt that good either
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:19 pm

chris.ph wrote:had some really bad news today my 84 yr old father in sin was diagnosed with alzhimers. hes been getting a bit confused lately so the boss took him to the doctors :( he is now going to have the full battery of tests ct scan etc , i imagine this is going to be a little frightening for somebody this age just hoping he casn live with itwhos english isnt that good either
Sorry to hear about that. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:14 am

Chris I'm really sorry. :( I just hope it turns out to be not that advanced.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:07 pm

so do i but he is a stubborn old git . he still wont tell us wot side he faught for in ww2 :lol:
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:27 pm

:( Very sad.
I think that people's personality doesn't change so drastically Chris. It's more what they can remember and how they cannot connect the present to the memory that IS fresh for them.

I worked with a lady whose 80 year old father had Alzheimers and went down very fast - like everyone she said that it was hard when he never recognised her, or even her mother, but he did still have his old memories even if he couldn't connect them with those around him...

And some days he did remember stuff better - the day before he died he greeted her by name and knew her, though he hadn't been talking much for a month or so. So she had that at least. She also said that he was still the man who raised her and that this was something that he could remember doing that sometimes, so even if it was distressing at times he was somewhere where she had been too. Somewhere they had both been happy and loved.

I experienced something like that with my uncle not long before he died after being confused and bedridden for years. So I think there is a little comfort in that - that they can sometimes go back to where they were very happy. :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 pm

chris.ph wrote:had some really bad news today my 84 yr old father in sin was diagnosed with alzhimers. hes been getting a bit confused lately so the boss took him to the doctors :( he is now going to have the full battery of tests ct scan etc , i imagine this is going to be a little frightening for somebody this age just hoping he casn live with itwhos english isnt that good either

Only just found this thread, Chris. I am so sorry to hear about your, Partners Father, (is that right?) I hope things aren't too bad for him & all the Family.

Simone, I didn't take HRT, I decided it was interfering with nature & that I could cope. That was a laugh, :x My hormones were playing with me for years, they threw every thing you can get through the change at me as fast as they could & for a few years as well, but I didn't give in, I grinned & bore it. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm

thank you people for the words of sympathy i will pass them on :)
chris.ph

Return to The Broken Drum