How did you find the Discworld

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

intro to discworld

Postby Treekeeper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

I was introduced to Discworld by a large hairy neanderthal Scotsman who gave me COM among others and got me well and truly hooked and I have been ever since. I think I've got every book in one form or another.
Treekeeper

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

I grew up around his novels but I don't think I picked them up until I watched the C4 cartoon series of Wyrd Sisters, I got interested and I brought it to read it. I ABSOLUTELY loved it, I was sixteen at the time. Since then I was hooked.

I have to buy them in HARDBACK now almost as soon as they come out, and CANNOT wait for the next Adult DW, though the arrival of the fourth Tiffany Aching novel can't come fast enough for me!

But due to his condition we have to be patient, and as long he can still write then I am happy, sad will be the day when he does stop writing. :(
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Magrat Garlick wrote:I grew up around his novels but I don't think I picked them up until I watched the C4 cartoon series of Wyrd Sisters, I got interested and I brought it to read it. I ABSOLUTELY loved it, I was sixteen at the time. Since then I was hooked.

I have to buy them in HARDBACK now almost as soon as they come out, and CANNOT wait for the next Adult DW, though the arrival of the fourth Tiffany Aching novel can't come fast enough for me!

But due to his condition we have to be patient, and as long he can still write then I am happy, sad will be the day when he does stop writing. :(

Yes, this from me too. It will be a very sad day, :( hopefully not for a long time though. Image
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Catch-up » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:04 pm

I found Small Gods in a bargain bin one day. I was blown away! Technically, Good Omens was my first introduction to him, but I hadn't thought at the time to look for more books that he or Neil Gaiman had written. :oops:
Catch-up

Postby WannabeAngua » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Needed a new book to read on the train home from school and just happend to pick out Jingo from the shelf. Didn't really get into it so I put it aside for awhile, but it got me curious and I later bought Witches abroad and LOVED it... The rest, as they say, are history :)

Needless to say, i loved Jingo as well when I tried it the second time.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby bogieman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:06 pm

I was in a book shop and this strange coloured talking book was on sale for £3.00 and I bought it just because I liked the look of it. It was a little 3 hour audio read by Tony Robinson called ERIC. When I listened to that I was hooked and so the story goes one by one I got the books and very slowly built up my audio library.
bogieman

Postby big yan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:53 pm

mine was mort. I was blown away with the idea of death being like a demented uncle.
after that i was absolutely hooked!
big yan

Postby chris.ph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:16 pm

asked my mother to sent me a few books to the ship when i was down the antarctic in 1990 and com was in the box of books addicted straight away
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Nienna » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:32 am

I think I've told this story before on here... :? but hey, this is a new thread!

I got into the books at school. During free periods I usually hung about the library to read, but this time I was pretty hyper and my mates were trying to do work and I was just jabbering away being all distracting, so eventually one of them handed me The Fifth Element and told me to shut up and read it. :lol: What a lucky day! Being annoying pays off sometimes.
Nienna

Postby silverstreak » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:02 pm

1983 I was minding my own business in my local when I started talking
to two am.dram. types.They were going on about this brilliant new author
they'd found and they were so fired up about him I asked to borrow the
book (The Colour of Magic) which they did.Once read I was totally captivated and embarked on a richly rewarding journey,looking forward
eagerly to each new publication.I wish that I'd never heard of Pterry
until now so that I could read him from fresh and look forward with a
warm amber glow of anticipation for each of his Discworld books,and of
course Good Omens.I certainly hope that Pterry goes on as long as he
can to produce many more discworld tales.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Today at a car boot sale, I managed to find to replace my paperback copy, a hardback copy of Reaper Man, in the colourful dust jacket. I paid £1 for it.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Tiffany wrote:Today at a car boot sale, I managed to find to replace my paperback copy, a hardback copy of Reaper Man, in the colourful dust jacket. I paid £1 for it.
:D Can't fault it!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 pm

I've actually been doing quite well for finding TP's books at car boot sales lately.
If anyone wants a particular copy I can always look out for one? Though I usually buy any I see anyway, whether I've got them or not. :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Tiffany wrote:I've actually been doing quite well for finding TP's books at car boot sales lately.
If anyone wants a particular copy I can always look out for one? Though I usually buy any I see anyway, whether I've got them or not. :lol:
Me too - it feels like it's my duty to rescue them. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:53 pm

I have just discovered the copy I bought today of Reaper Man, is a first edition.

ISBN : 0-575-04979-0
Printing year : 1991
Publisher : Victor Gollancz

:shock: :shock: wow!!! :shock: :shock:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum