Small Gods

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Small Gods

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Terry classes Small Gods as Household Gods. Those little gods that keep things running smoothly in your home. Do you have any Small Gods taking care of you?

I have a whole bunch that live on top of my computer monitor (they need a ceremonial dusting :oops: ).

Back row:

Glass tortoise that my neighbour got me because I collect tortoises (it's horrible but I can't very well throw it away).
Two crystal Swarovski turtles. These were a wedding gift from some very good friends and are quite lovely, especially when the sunlight catches them.
Hand carved ironwood tortoise. Got this in Monument Valley on the Navajo Reservation. Ironwood (as the name suggests) is very hard and heavy.
Brass Tortoise that an Internet friend sent to me from Australia. He was the first of my collection.
Another Ironwood tortoise that Sharlene bought for me.
Nodding Mexican tortoise. Got this in a museum in Tucson. It's hand painted.

Front row:

Clarecraft pewter Death figure.
Handcarved Zuni (a Native American tribe) badger fetish with turquoise arrowhead. The Zuni are famous for carving these animal figures from various types of stone. Each one is a tiny masterpiece.
Little pink pig that an Internet friend sent me. He's just kind of cute and I like pigs.
Coyote carved onto a piece of green and orange stone. I don't know much about this except a friend sent it and it's carved by Native Americans.
Zuni mountain lion carved from yellow lipped shell.
Daffy Duck - he's been with me for years. I can't even remember where I got him from.
Zuni tortoise. Another hand carved fetish. Tortoises are for wisdom in the world of the Zuni.
Zuni bear. When you see the displays of fetishes sometimes one of them insists that you have to buy him and take him home. There's no point in argueing. That was the case with this guy.
On another board I was awarded a special "Welsh Sod" award and was sent this lovely piece of sodalite.
A little pottery heart that Sharlene sent me.
Hand carved and painted Oaxacan jackrabbit. The Oaxacans are a Mexican tribe who make these incredible wooden figures of fantastic animals. The painting skills are incredible - you might not be able to see it but there are lilies painted on there and hundreds of tiny green dots.
Clarecraft pewter Detritus - my very own Internet troll. :wink:

So who lives on or near your computer? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:40 pm

absolutely nothing i use a laptop :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Nice collection Tony! I just have a Pumba beanie (the warthog in Lion King :P ) squished on the corner of the monitor and a silly Pooh Bear jelly thing on top of a spring surrounded by fluffy yellow marabou feathers at the top of a yellow biro - the nib retracts slighty so when you write with it a little light illuminates Pooh... :oops:

My housemate's a Disney nut but I do like Pumba 8)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 am

I have a dinosaur, a donkey & a penguin. I don't have my camera with me so no pics I'm afraid. But they're shy anyway :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Never thought of them as small gods, but I do have Xena, Callisto and Autolycus by the computer. There are also some Buddhas around the house.
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Catch-up wrote:Never thought of them as small gods, but I do have Xena, Callisto and Autolycus by the computer. There are also some Buddhas around the house.
You didn't know? :shock: Who do you think is responsible for the smooth running of your internet connection? And who makes things go wrong when you forget to worship them? :P
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Hmmmmm... I'm going to credit Xena for keeping things running smoothly, blame Callisto for sluggish internet connections, and Auto for my missing pocket change.

The Buddhas are just little happy fat guys around the house. I'll credit them for my good moods. Right action, right speech and right thought. Is that right? :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 am

Right! :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Various assorted VW camper models......... :?

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:Various assorted VW camper models......... :?

Cheers, Vena
Has anyone ever noticed that the guys riding the oliphants in the Lord of the Rings movies, have apparently got banners on their backs with the Volkswagen logo on? Is this product placement do you think? :lol:

Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:56 pm

I bet you dusted those, before you took the pic, Tony :D
Can't put anything on the top of my monitor, it's one of those thin ones. Got my little jade horse netsuke on the shelf though.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Could be, Tony. :D I didn't notice when I watched the movie though. :) They are doing a Dibbler from Moving Pictures. I just finished reading that book.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby The23rdman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Great collection!

We've a little wooden Ganesha and a tortoise with a nodding head on our monitor. There are also LOADS of little Buddha's lying about the place. Well, not exactly lying about. That would be stupid cos we'd just trip over them. Actually, thinking about it, our house is such a mess scattering them about would probably improve things. Maybe it's time for a spring clean??
The23rdman

Postby cols » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:44 pm

I've a lap top so there's nothing on it but my desk is covered in little elephants ... and my room, some in the bathroom ..I love them :D
cols

Re: Small Gods

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:47 pm

It used to live on the shelf above my PC along with some others but now on the windowsill just put on the compy to photo it, had it for years and years pressie from my Auntie. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to The Broken Drum