David Eddings

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

David Eddings

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:03 pm

I love this author. He is the reason why I am into fantasy books, as he has a great sense of humour, along with the epic scale of LotR with feisty women, and great story telling skills, I can't find fault with his books, which is odd because I can find fault with a lot of things.

If it wasn't for David I wouldn't have even gone near Terry Pratchett!

If you have not read his Belgariad I suggest you do so. My favourite character is a man called Silk. Read and find out why.
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:13 pm

:lol: Silk's great and I think he's my fave Belgariad character - and in the Mallorian as well although I find the Emperor quite intriguing (can't for the life of me remember his name just now)

I dunno with Eddings - David and/or Lynn... They're great at dialogue but sometimes they seem to get a little mired in it and also in their desire for most of their character's to be 'cute' in some way. Maybe that's why Silk and the Emperor are more attractive as they have a deeper and much darker backstory that makes them a little more rounded than other characters perhaps? Anyway the serial books are great reads - very playful and pacey and for people just getting into fantasy are much easier on the eye and the mind than say Tolkien or someone like Stephen Donaldson - will go over to the Comparably Fantastic thread to debate though! :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:58 pm

i can find fault the elder gods series are all the same book repackaged ,their all the same , nowthe mallorean , belgariad , elenium series were all original . myfavourite book is belgarath the sorcerer and favourite character was aldeus
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:05 pm

altheus :oops:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:17 am

I enjoyes the Belgariad, the Mallorean, the Elenium and the Tamuli, but when they started on the Elder Gods, I found that phrases were being repeated, especially 'be nice', and the characters were basically the same, but just in different clothing and with different names.

I feel that the Eddings' have lost their way.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby NightOwl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:36 am

The Belgariad came out when I was a student playing RPGs - Silk was everybody's favourite.

back then, Polgara was quite cool and Durnik was admirable - Mallorean (sp?) the Paladin was a role model for daft players!

Eddings repeated self in the second series, but returned to form with The Ruby Knight or whatever it was called.

I stopped reading pretty much after than series, it just started to seem formulaic.
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:20 pm

I hated the Elenium series I didn't even bother reading the ending - got to finish the Elder Gods series but I do prefer that one. I found Elenium a bit too depressing - I did not feel like I was reading Eddings at all ... Elder Gods brought back some of the old style. And that was the style I fell in love with.

But it hardly matters since his death!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby silverjunky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi, im new, and adding my two cents worth:

I found the eddings books when i was a teenager and loved them, have read them at least once a year since. My favourites are the Belgariad and Mallorean series. Also the Elenium and Tamuli.

Eddings have always written in a faily similar style even to the jokes/cameraderie between characters (in all the books).

I tried the Elder gods and gave up, very sameish all the way through.

my 2 cents, ta daaa! lol
Just moved to Brighton in the Uk, dont know anyone and my housemates are hard to get on with. Feeling very lonely and so have been reading lots of Mr. Pratchett for company lol
silverjunky

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi silverjunky,welcome to the forum it's good on here friendly people.
Why not pop in to introduction section and say hello.Image you will find it in the The Broken Drum. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:32 am

Welcome to the site, silverjunky! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 am

welcome to the forum silverjunky :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Penfold » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm

ImageWelcome from me as well! The Elenium and Tamuli series were my favourite, and I think Sir Sparhawk one of the best of his creations.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Welcome Silverjunky! Hope you enjoy the forum.

I'd generally agree with those who sad it all got a bit formulaic, too many sweet little girls :(
But the Belgariad series was great fun to read such a shame it doesn't bear rereading. :(
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

welcome to the site silverjunky :)
chris.ph

Postby wicked woman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:21 pm

I enjoyed the Belgariad but later books were the same old same old. I wouldn't reread any of them.
wicked woman

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books