The Unadulterated Cat.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Unadulterated Cat.

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:54 pm

At the same time I bought Going Postal DVD's I also bought this...

A must for cat lovers, I am more of a dog person myself, but I found it very amusing.. :lol:

And I got a Discworld calendar also. :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm

I have UC - it's brilliant. :D Gray Jolliffe's the chap who illustrated the Wicked Willy books and the ones in UC complement the words beautifully (Pete 'Year in Provence' Mayle did the writing for WW)
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this elsewhere on the board. I got a copy for Sharlene, who loved it. It's not available in the US and Sharlene was trying to get her friend at Harper Collins to get them to publish it there. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Amazon have it, Tony, or did. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Yes, you can get it from Amazon in the USA, but it's imported. They don't do an American version like the do the other books. :)

I must say that I love this Russian version.

Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 pm

It's one that I never got around to buying.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 pm

is it a novel or just a picture book?
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Bit of both I believe.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Actually, it's neither. It's a collection of anecdotes about what Terry calls 'Real Cats'. Anyone who has ever been owned by a cat will recognise what he's saying.

Here's a description from Wikipedia:

The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett, illustrated by Gray Jolliffe, is a book written to promote what Pratchett terms the 'Real Cat', a cat who urinates in the flowerbeds, rips up the furniture, and eats frogs, mice and sundry other small animals. The opposite of the Real Cat is the 'Fizzy Keg Cat', a well-behaved and bland kind, as seen on cat food advertisements. It was first published 1989 by Gollancz.

There are sections in there such as Cat Games. His description of Cat Chess is hysterical. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:27 pm

:lol: My favourite is the 'getting your cat to take a tablet' bit - you've probably already read that as it's one of those memo style things that goes around on office email - the one where you get progressively more mauled and the cat keeps spitting it out gags. Lesser versions of Terry's original - I nearly suffocated when I 1st read it :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:31 pm

i first saw that on a great dane forum im a member of, as an afterword it says how to give a tablet to a dane(or any dog basically) it said " wrap tablet in a sausage and throw in the general direction of the dog" :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Temple_maiden » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Aha - I have this book. Must re-read it sometime.

I have a laudable collection of Cat Haiku though - maybe a poetry thread is in order . . .

*wanders off vaguely in search of a Creative Writing section*
. . . and I'm all like, "I wrote a book, innit," and they're all like, "Well where can we get it," and I'm all like, "Here . . ."
Temple_maiden

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 pm

There's a poetry thread somewhere in here I think - not been posted in for a good 6 months thought
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:There's a poetry thread somewhere in here I think - not been posted in for a good 6 months thought
HERE it is. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Temple_maiden » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Aha!! :D
. . . and I'm all like, "I wrote a book, innit," and they're all like, "Well where can we get it," and I'm all like, "Here . . ."
Temple_maiden

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books