Are the Tiffany Books "Children's Books?"

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 am

Tonyblack wrote:Nah - we've got Daft Wullie. :lol:

I thought he was Rob Anybody? He certainly does Rob the taxpayer ... not that I can complain on that, because I am unemployable. Anyway, enough politics...

I love the Tiffany books, though I'd term them as young adult, especially with Nanny Ogg's sly winks and subtle hints in Wintersmith about her and Roland ... is it?

I think also that children aren't as blind as some people think they are to certain facts and details and they understand a lot more than some adults give them credit for, children aren't as innocent as they were fifty to hundred years ago, sadly.

My favourite character in the Tiffany Aching series happens to be - yep - you guessed it - Granny Weatherwax, and it's good to see a young witch that will ultimately become the next Weatherwax.

Tiffany is a cool girl and I can't wait for the fourth one - question, do you think she'll end up with the Baron's son?
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:44 pm

It's been great to watch the development of Roland through the series. I particularly liked him in Wintersmith. Tiffany obviously likes him - but we'll see. Maybe she'll be like Granny and put her craft before such things. :?

If you didn't know, Terry has commented elswehere that Eskerina Smith will be making an appearance in the next Tiffany book. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:01 pm

I think the opposite sex always comes a poor second to the career for Witches - even for Nanny as she happily combines matriarching with nepotism* and has all her family like a network of media correspondents all over Lancre and borders with Jason and Shaun both occupying key positions as blacksmith and major domo of all trades up in the Castle - the grandkids at school etc :lol:

Actually although Granny perhaps out-watts Nanny in the occult areas she's easily the more influential politically and socially in Lancre - and the people probably 'trust' her a little more... :twisted:

*and her husbands are purely incidental of course - are they dead or just knackered? :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:13 pm

There's one particular part of one of the books (which I've forgotten) where Granny spends the whole night Borrowing to try and find out what's going on. Nanny talks to a few people and has the answers. Granny comments that she would never have thought of doing that.

I think that speaks volumes about the difference between the two of them. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:There's one particular part of one of the books (which I've forgotten) where Granny spends the whole night Borrowing to try and find out what's going on. Nanny talks to a few people and has the answers. Granny comments that she would never have thought of doing that.

I think that speaks volumes about the difference between the two of them. :)

:lol: What is it in the start of Wyrd Sisters? The most natural and best number of Witches in a coven is 1? :twisted: Nanny's the revolutionary subversive Witch :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Probably. As Witches are too stubborn and selfish to work as a team, although they seem to band together brilliantly at the first whiff of trouble and the reaction at the end of Lords and Ladies when Nanny Ogg and Magrat thought Granny was dead was very touching, it showed they do care for the 'daft old besom!'
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

childrens books

Postby kayley » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:08 pm

To be honest i wasnt aware that they were specifically childrens books. I dont see why they couldnt be read by children, they are very creative story lines and get your imaginations active, which is great for children. Advanced readers would do well to read them. I think it is important for children to be encouraged to read books that might stretch them. It is important not to patronise them and encourage them to broaden their skills. Think Terrys book will be a great benifit to them. Especially if they can relate to the tones within the books through interesting paradims.
Kayley
Connecting and empwering children across the world!
http://www.themagicsunglasses.com
kayley

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:20 pm

I didn't know, at first that is, the Tiffany books were classed as for children, older childen anyway, in most book shops they are in the children's section, which is why I couldn't find Wee Free Men, untill I asked an assistant. At the same time, in the same place, I got all the Johnny books too. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Re: childrens books

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:42 pm

kayley wrote:To be honest i wasnt aware that they were specifically childrens books. I dont see why they couldnt be read by children, they are very creative story lines and get your imaginations active, which is great for children. Advanced readers would do well to read them. I think it is important for children to be encouraged to read books that might stretch them. It is important not to patronise them and encourage them to broaden their skills. Think Terrys book will be a great benifit to them. Especially if they can relate to the tones within the books through interesting paradims.
Kayley
I quite agree. There's all sorts of themes and ideas in the books for children to discover and relish through the joy of reading.

But I don't think the mainstream Discworld books are too difficult for a child to enjoy.

Welcome to the site kayley! :)
Tonyblack

Postby eagoodlife » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:48 am

Why do we need to classify them? There are too many boxes in the world already.
eagoodlife

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:29 am

eagoodlife wrote:Why do we need to classify them? There are too many boxes in the world already.
Personally speaking, I don't classify them except to say they are Pratchett books. :wink: What other classification do they need?
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 am

welcome to the site both :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Welcome from me as well. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby feanor » Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Ayup Jan...

I think Nanny's JUST LIKE Esme. But with a round lovable face. (if you accept the Illustrations on the books, that is.) Esme never got on with folk because the Witching is far too important to her as it gives her her POWER over the poor Lancre-astrians (?) she uses Headology for the most part over the simple villagers because she can, and they have been taught age after age to respect the Hat. she emphasises her importance by not mixing with them at all, her 'inferiors'.

But Nanny is as ruthless in her own way. Or she may be a little worse depending on your view. she's the 'lovable' bully who knows everyones dirty little secrets, uses her daughter-in-laws as skivvys, and sons as Informers, and gets to know everyones' business whether they like it or not, reinforcing the point. But She uses the Hat just like Esme though, when it suits... and it gets her her provisions and treats too. but to know all about people, she needs to be amongst them. hence living in Lancre town...

Myself, I like Esme's more 'Honest' aproach to Witching, because as the computer Geeks say, WYSIWYG... and she doesn't hide behind a smiley, jokey face like Nanny... And isn't that why they always looked down on poor Magrat, until she proved herself?
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 27, 2009 8:46 am

feanor wrote:I think Nanny's JUST LIKE Esme. But with a round lovable face. (if you accept the Illustrations on the books, that is.)

Didn't Terry say in one of the books that Nanny had a face like a happy apple? It was something like that anyway. So round & loveable sounds about right to me!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Books