SG1 or Star Trek franchise

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

SG1 or Star Trek franchise

Postby james.a.vivian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:29 pm

I've managed to buy all SG1, Atlantis, SGU as well as Enterprise, Deep space 9 and Voyager I would of kept buying a series a week but I was finally able to get cable in my building. I love them both to my missus' dismay I can watch them over and over again. My favorite Strek capt is Archer, probably because I was a huge Quantum Leap fan. 8)
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby Bickaxe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 am

SG1 for me ,just got the complete series (currently watching season 3) as well as all of Atlantis and season 1 of Universe
Have seen all of Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise but kept seeing recycled story lines. Not bad though.
I'm lucky in that my missus loves them (not been able to watch normal tv for the past 4 days due to Stargate)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:22 pm

ive got all of tng on dvd :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I've got the first four seasons of Voyager on DVD and most of TNG. I'm turning Sharlene into a Trekkie! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Both are great, but I would have to go with Star Trek after watching the Enterprise series.
Ash

SGn vs Trek

Postby Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:25 am

Good Lord - this is wierd. I'm way ahead of all og you for a change. SG-Alantis is done and SG-U is on it's third season. In fact - it's so pase here that they are doing a SGU marathon for new years and showing all of season 2 in sequence.

I have to say that I prefer the Star Gate over the Star Trek. Don't get me wrong - I'm a Treker (note - not a Trekie) from the very first episode - I can remember watching it and my Dad saying what drivel it was. (I was 5 or 6 at the time) But the SG milieu is much better. The movies were barely watchable, the first was just fair, the others went downhill, but Dean Anderson did something magical with them. Like the BBC he assumed the watchers were not idiots who would have trouble with the plot of a Bay Watch episode and he managed to work to an overall story line that required you to get involved with the whole thing. And - he left when the getting was good - leave 'em smiling.

Have you seen the latest from that 'studio' - "Sanctuary"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(TV_series)
The star is Amada Tapping - Major Samatha Carter from the SG world.
What ??
Daniel.Roscoe@gmail.com

Postby james.a.vivian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:30 am

I'm still holding out in hope that there will be a movie for Stargate Atlantis to explain what will happen now Atlantis is on Earth. SGU is on cable here we're half way through season 2 (Aussie). Sanctuary is great but it suffer from American mid season Christmas break.
james.a.vivian

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:14 am

From what I've read, there will be no more SGU after season 3. Currently awaiting a 3rd SG1 movie but it may not happen either, same with an Atlantis movie.

Missed SGU first time around so bought season 1 on DVD. Just missed season 2 re-runs and season 3 started here about a month ago.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby mspanners » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 am

All good there, try Babylon 5 + sequels and sliders as these are tops too! 8)
mspanners

Postby Willem » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:59 am

I tried to get into SG-1 but failed. It wasn't bad, just a bit... boring. No real surprises or original themes in the storylines. Comes from watching too much SF I guess.

Star Trek suffers from this too, but I love it still. Deep Space Nine and TNG were my favourites, although I recently rewatched all of Voyager and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I did enjoy Enterprise, especially the season that they spent in that region of space where the laws of physics were different.
Willem

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:19 pm

I love them both, but I have all ten seasons of SG1 and Continuuuuuum on DVD.

RDA was brilliant in it, and I was very sad to see him go.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby chris.ph » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:15 pm

anyone going to mention farscape :?:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:20 pm

I was never a big fan of stargate it was just Ok, but Farscape I really liked, when I had the FX channel for a few weeks it was great to watch it again and Babylon 5. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby james.a.vivian » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Farscape is the reason I got in to SG1 season 9 was when criton became mitchel. Claudia black is a stunner. Farscape was another canceled show that devastated me, a movie just doesn't make up for the loss of such great characters. :D
james.a.vivian

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:38 pm

I love love love Star Trek. It's ace. Especially the first series. And the last film was ace as well.

It's all ace.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre