Name for a boat?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Name for a boat?

Postby UnrulyRiffian » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:35 am

I've just bought a boat but I don't like her name so I'd like to change it. I think a Discworld reference of some sort would make a good name but I'm afraid my pathetic grey cells are rather failing me, so I'd be grateful for suggestions.
UnrulyRiffian

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:48 am

How about "The Prid of Ankh" in Jingo or there was Chidder's boat in Pyramids "The Unnamed".
"Moist" might be tempting fate a bit.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby UnrulyRiffian » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks poohbcarrot. Yes, wouldn't want to tempt the fates. I like the Unnamed idea.

Any more suggestions?
UnrulyRiffian

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am

How about 'The Potent Voyager' from Colour of Magic. Or, as I saw on an old episode of Junkyard Challenge (or whatever it's called) 'Binky II'.

Welcome to the site.
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby UnrulyRiffian » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks tonyblack.

How about 'The Potent Voyager'

Haha! I'm a tad worried that people seeing my boat approach might think me something of a braggart

Welcome to the site.

Thank you.
UnrulyRiffian

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 am

Welcome! And congrats on the new boat. But....

...isn't it considered bad luck to change the name of a boat? I'm not superstitious myself, but I understand that sea-farers tend to be.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby UnrulyRiffian » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 am

hi Dotsie

Welcome! And congrats on the new boat.

Thanks

...isn't it considered bad luck to change the name of a boat?

Only if you don't perform the necessary offerings to the sea gods in a ceremony that involves quaffing copious amounts of Champagne. Like you, I'm not superstitious, but I do like the occasional sip of Champagne so I intend to perform the ceremony!
UnrulyRiffian

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 am

UnrulyRiffian wrote:
...isn't it considered bad luck to change the name of a boat?

Only if you don't perform the necessary offerings to the sea gods in a ceremony that involves quaffing copious amounts of Champagne. Like you, I'm not superstitious, but I do like the occasional sip of Champagne so I intend to perform the ceremony!

Phew! Well that's alright then :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Being a native Plymouthian and the do's and don'ts of changing ship's names - The Golden Hind that took Sir Francis Drake circumnavigating the world (with a spot of discerning pirating on the side to keep his hand in :twisted: ) had its name change from The Pelican halfway through that epic voyage in honour of his sponsor (fence) apparently... :twisted:

What was the name of those scabby crow-like birds on the beach in Small Gods - vaguely nautical :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
What was the name of those scabby crow-like birds on the beach in Small Gods - vaguely nautical :lol:
Scalbies? :?

If you are thinking of naming the boat after an animal or bird, what about 'The Pointless Albatross' or the 'Ambiguous Puzuma'? :D
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Silver Horde springs to mind. :)
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:34 pm

How about 'Tethis' or 'Sea Troll'? :D
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi, UnrulyRiffian, Welcome to here. :)
How about....Colour Of Magic?
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:
Scalbies? :?

If you are thinking of naming the boat after an animal or bird, what about 'The Pointless Albatross' or the 'Ambiguous Puzuma'? :D

Scalbies is the one - I put that up and got 'do you mean scabies?' :lol: But I found the quote now - 'Nothing ate scalbies, except other scalbies. Scalbies ate things that made a vulture sick. Scalbies would eat vulture sick. Scalbies ate everything...'

The Pointless Albatross is good though :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 pm

avast me hearty dont change the name from the old seadog or drunken sailor if its the weekend :lol:
welcome to the site :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum