Why is it?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:38 pm

I hope the wrath of certain members doesn't descend on me for this, but I've noticed that the new Beetle is quite popular with ladies of a certain age who may be keen on flower arranging. :D
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Erm.... no wrath, just confuzzlement? Nor do I know why they have a plastic flower in there unless it's some sort of a complimentary car freshener? I do think the new Beetle's quite nice especially the convertible which looks a little like a Noddy car with the top down... :P

Now the 'new' Morris Mino I cannot see the point of at all as it has far too fat a boot and nor indeed is it that small - talk about cynically cheating with nostalgia - if you want to go retro do it properly I say! :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:24 pm

There's a new Morris Minor? :shock:

Please tell me you're joking.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:49 pm

i think jan means the mini :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 pm

chris.ph wrote:i think jan means the mini :lol:

Ooooh! They seem to be really popular in the US and I recently saw a station wagon version. I haven't decided what I think of them yet - I wasn't a great fan of the original.

I've been seeing a lot of Nissan Figaros around lately and must say that I really like them. But then I've got weird taste in cars.

Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:00 pm

they are all japanese grey imports they stopped making them in 91. the diahtsu copen is the other version on our roads my misses likes them both :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Very Retro, it reminds me of the 1950's Renault Dauphine. :)
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:13 pm

:oops: Yes it was the Mini not the Minor *looks hard at new pup who was doing something or other that needed stopping and I missed the 'i'* :evil:

I don't particularly like the Mini - but that was the whole thing - it was supposed to be tiny and give you cramp if you had to travel in the back. :x Giving it more legroom is just ruining the design criteria - it needs to be little and cute (from the outside anyway) not styled and the same size as any other little runaround :evil:

As for the Morris Minor - apparently they were THE European car to be seen in in Zimbabwe in the late 80's according to a friend in Bulawayo (this is back when they still an economy to speak of and luxuries like water were still possible...)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 pm

You'll laugh at this! :lol:

Why is it that when you're p*ssed at 2am and are scanning ebay for interesting TP books to add to your collection, you see one, check out the details then you look at the seller's other books to see if you can combine the postage, but you see a first edition Lewis Caroll "Hunting the Sark" from 1876 which has a low price but 4 days left to go and you think just for the hell of it you'll bid because it's so cheap and when you do it says you've been outbid, so just out of curiousity you try to see how much the other person has bid, accidently become the highest bidder and over the next 4 days nobody overtakes you, so you're stuck with buying a book you have absolutely no use for?

Bugger!! :roll:

The moral of the story is, "Don't bid on ebay when you're wellied!"
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:59 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:You'll laugh at this! :lol:

Why is it that when you're p*ssed at 2am and are scanning ebay for interesting TP books to add to your collection, you see one, check out the details then you look at the seller's other books to see if you can combine the postage, but you see a first edition Lewis Caroll "Hunting the Sark" from 1876 which has a low price but 4 days left to go and you think just for the hell of it you'll bid because it's so cheap and when you do it says you've been outbid, so just out of curiousity you try to see how much the other person has bid, accidently become the highest bidder and over the next 4 days nobody overtakes you, so you're stuck with buying a book you have absolutely no use for?

Bugger!! :roll:

The moral of the story is, "Don't bid on ebay when you're wellied!"

Oh dear. I guess all you can do is put it back on auction and hope for someone even more wellied to bid for it. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Yes, Poohcarrot, re list it, but you might lose money on it though :(
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:36 pm

It's a great book mind and a Classic in its way and the illustrations are very good. :D

Here's a Wiki on it.

"In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away---
For the Snark *was* a Boojum, you see. "
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Problem sorted!

When I get it I'll bung it on ebay with a USBC 1st edition (1987) Equal Rites (only cost me 8 quid and I don't really want it), start at 1p, offer free shipping and donate 80% of the selling price to an Alzheimer's disease charity.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:27 pm

Comments about children: My biggest fear is not ever having children, I've been wanting children since I was a child. So, I guess my hang up is completely opposite to most people on this thread - people who can have children but don't and THEN criticise women who DO want children saying they should be more WITH THE TIMES, i.e. career oriented. I had a couple of feminist PE teachers and they both treated me like a second class citizen for my saying I didn't want a career I wanted children!

Another hang up ... my favourite programmes ALWAYS being shifted around because of sport, football and rugby are the main culprits, I hate that! Not all of us want to spend our weekend watching men getting overly paid for a game that kids play in the park thank you! What about putting some old black and white films on instead, surely it can't be that much more expensive? Not all of us can afford sky you know, and as we can't afford sky what makes you think we can afford every thing on DVD?

And does anybody know why BBC3 and BBC4 only show stuff from 7PM? What's wrong with putting repeats of programmes like Two Ronnies, and the old William Hartnell Dr. Who's or something. Not all of us were privileged to see these the first time around... just SOME ideas you know beeb to make it worthwhile on going Digital!

Oh, and as for IPLAYER making the unmissable. Unmissable, well, how come half the things I find unmissable never end up on there?
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:36 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Problem sorted!

When I get it I'll bung it on ebay with a USBC 1st edition (1987) Equal Rites (only cost me 8 quid and I don't really want it), start at 1p, offer free shipping and donate 80% of the selling price to an Alzheimer's disease charity.
That's incredibly generous! :D
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum