Small Gods Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Maybe around then - not absolutely sure on that, but FE's the last one of his that's in his usual Discworld style - The Truth's not quite so wild :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Maybe around then - not absolutely sure on that, but FE's the last one of his that's in his usual Discworld style - The Truth's not quite so wild :wink:

I do believe Thief of Time was his last mainstream cover.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Won't argue with you on that one - bit vague about the book order in that period TBH, but Nightwatch and Thud are definitely Paul's :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Won't argue with you on that one - bit vague about the book order in that period TBH, but Nightwatch and Thud are definitely Paul's :)

Yeah. Who did The Amzing Maurice, now that I come to think of it?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Yes, Thief of Time was his last. See HERE. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:47 pm

You guys totally missed the point.

I have 99% of all the KIRBY cover books. The other 1% is the one Kirby cover book I don't have. I'm sure you can guess which one that is!

:D

H-I-B
raisindot

Postby swreader » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:33 am

I think that most of us (at least of those who read the discussions) got your point, Jeff. But just for the record, would that book (which you don't want to get in a Kirby cover--believe me) be PYRAMIDS?????

I'm one of those few who really don't like any of the Kirby covers--but this particular one embodies nearly all the things I find wrong or unappealing (and from a bookseller's point of view -- not designed to make you want to read it) about Kirby's covers.

Does anyone know who did the cover of the British version of Maurice?
swreader

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 am

If you mean this one?

That's definitely Paul's I'd say - I'll check with the Art of the Discworld for you in the morning :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:34 am

I believe Kirby did do the German version of the cover for Science of Discworld, which shows Rincewind being forced into the virtual suit.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby DaveC » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:37 am

Quatermass wrote:I believe Kirby did do the German version of the cover for Science of Discworld, which shows Rincewind being forced into the virtual suit.

Not seen that one - how stupid of me to forget Thief of Time :oops:
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:37 pm

raisindot wrote:You guys totally missed the point.

I have 99% of all the KIRBY cover books. The other 1% is the one Kirby cover book I don't have. I'm sure you can guess which one that is!

:D

H-I-B

We all understood. :roll:
Though I think that your 99% figure is a touch unrealsitic. Unless Kirby did 100 books and you've got 99 of them, which I'm pretty sure he didn't, and you haven't. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:If you mean this one?

That's definitely Paul's I'd say - I'll check with the Art of the Discworld for you in the morning :wink:

Well it isn't in Art of the Discworld - however I'd say that's one Paul Kidby's or else he should sue for plagiarism :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Meanwhile . . .

Small Gods . . .

Anyone? :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm trying Tony - :wink:

I think Josh Kirby's cover for Small Gods is my favourite with the expression on Om the Tortoise's face looking particularly shocked. Excellent stuff! 8)

Actually the black cover's pretty good too - if I win the lottery next year then I think I'll start collecting them :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Another piece of verbal symbolism since we're into minutiae now :P Simony the denier of Om - Simon Peter chief disciple of Jesus and 1st Pope - who also 'betrayed' his god in a moment of fear and madness, but was ultimately the rock of belief in which the Turtle Moves and on which New Practical Omnism is based.

A much better reference is Simon Zealotes, a minor disciple who traditionally belonged to the Jewish revolutionary group seeking to overthrow the Romans. He was a bit player whose role as a trouble-maker became culturally enshrined in his one-song appearance in Jesus Christ Superstar.

J-I-B
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels