WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SCENES IN DISCWORLD NOVELS !!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby FirstoftheGangtoDie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:01 pm

THAT. IS. NOT. MY. COW!!
FirstoftheGangtoDie

Postby deldaisy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Thordoc wrote:there are a few of fave moments.

the bit in feet of clay where Fred bounces off the cow, onto the sheep and then onto the chicken which went mad. and in the same book when he meets up with Mister Vimes and he ducks into a doorway and then promptly ducks straight back out again.

and feet of clay again, when Mister Vimes was chasing the golem when he slips over, stands up, slips over again, stands up again and then falls down for the thrid time and decides to accept the majority vote and stay down

lords and ladies when the faculty (or part of it) meet Casaunder for the first time.

been an australian i really enjoyed pretty much every bit of the last continent that had to do with rincewind (TP really nailed the attitude of 'no worries')

and as mentioned above, where do you stop :lol:

Where do you start?
Impossible to post on this thread... if I tried to look up a quote I would read the book again..... it happens.

The nic seeeeeems familiar but if I haven't said hello then ... WELCOME! and if i have already said welcome then ignore me.... most everyone does. (I'm an aussie too)
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Thordoc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 am

The nic seeeeeems familiar but if I haven't said hello then ... WELCOME! and if i have already said welcome then ignore me.... most everyone does. (I'm an aussie too)

thanks deldaisy, i'm mostly a lurker so don't or prolly won't have a large post quota

back on topic slightly

pyramids when they are just entering the turtle shooting zone, and this little turtle is making a break for freedom. I'm always cheering that little guy on
"ach, crivens!"
Thordoc

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 am

Thordoc wrote:

thanks deldaisy, i'm mostly a lurker so don't or prolly won't have a large post quota

back on topic slightly

pyramids when they are just entering the turtle shooting zone, and this little turtle is making a break for freedom. I'm always cheering that little guy on

Hi Thordoc! :P

And may I say what an excellent choice of quotes from what is probably TP's finest book. 8)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:45 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Thordoc wrote:

back on topic slightly

Hi Thordoc! :P

And may I say what an excellent choice of quotes from what is probably TP's finest book. 8)

It would be his finest book if a certain set of circumstances existed as in he didn't write any other books at all . :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:51 am

Ignore him Thordoc, he's insane. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 am

poohcarrot wrote:Ignore him Thordoc, he's insane. :lol:

No, the world is insane and i'm the only sane one in it. 8)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 am

pip wrote:

I'm a madman, but a very self-aware one. Thus, I seem and act sane. Most of the time.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:01 am

Quatermass wrote:
pip wrote:

I'm a madman, but a very self-aware one. Thus, I seem and act sane. Most of the time.

Well some of the time anyway.

But god Om help anyone who loses track of a thread. :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 am

pip wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
pip wrote:

Well some of the time anyway.

But god Om help anyone who loses track of a thread. :lol:

I couldn't care less if they lost track of someone else's posts, but if mine are involved...well, let's just say that my jaw unhinges when I am angry.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:16 am

and we don't want to see you angry.
At least not up close.
:lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:25 am

And I breathe poisonous fumes, although that's more halitosis than any malign ability.

Quatermass

Postby Thordoc » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Thordoc!

And may I say what an excellent choice of quotes from what is probably TP's finest book.

why thankee Pooh. mind you pryamids isn't my fave book, but as a mostly stand alone book it's hilarious. I'm a huge fan of the city watch books, in particular sam vimes....however I believe that discussion is in another thread somewhere in this vast L-Space

Ignore him Thordoc, he's insane.

who's to say that I'm sane??? :shock: nah just kidding I have a certificate somewhere that says I am.....at least that's what I think Agi said it was.

back on topic again

wee free men when the Nac Mac Feegle are in the doll house and find the red coats (sojers, :lol: ) and the bear, then the fighting starts
"ach I kicked meself in my own heid"

Daft Wullie and Big Yan, 2 of the best feegles

and in hat full of sky dressed up as the man, with the talking knees and such, hilarious laugh till it hurts stuff that
"ach, crivens!"
Thordoc

Postby Antiq » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:17 am

Vimes entering his son's room.
Tiffany dancing with the bees.
Any appearance of DEATH, all of Reaper Man.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Broccolee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 pm

I can only quote a few from some,as I havent read all of them yet-shame on me,I know-but I have only started a few years ago and I cant go out in cold blood and just buy the lot...I have to wait till the local library gets them in English.Plus,I wouldnt know where to stop,as lots of people before me have mentioned.
So...
A scene in one of the Vimes Books where Detritus says "Captain Carrot said there´s some Good buried in everybody" and Vimes asks if he´s doing the drill and Detritus says no,he´s the deep mining expert.
(Know the feeling.)

The scene in the Fifth Continent where Death asks for information on the dangerous creatures in Fourecks.

The scene where Susan is teacher and has this trying scholar who desperately wants to break into the cupboard and she tells him under which circumstances he is not allowed to open said cupboard.
(Boy,been there,bought the ticket.Several times.Just with different names and different cupboards) :roll:

Same book,where she explains that kids can do algebra if you dont tell them beforehand that they can´t.(My kids go to Montessori school and it really works.Had I not read TP,I wouldnt have known.See?)
:wink:
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels