Any Budding Pratchetts Out There???

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Faerel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Thank you! My, what a friendly forum :D
Faerel

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:08 am

Hey, all. First time poster at these forums, but fairly entrenched Discworld fan.

One of the reasons why I decided to post was that, despite my attempts to write a book in time for the competition, thanks to my perfectionism, I ain't gonna be ready on time. I mean, I have a book and story that can be ready by the end of the year, but it's too damned shallow for my liking, and if I put the current book in to be judged by Terry Pratchett and Tony Robinson, I feel like I am really selling myself short to two people whom I respect. I've put all of my other writing projects on hold while I struggled to finish this one, but unfortunately, I'm gonna have to drop out.

This doesn't mean that I am abandoning the story. It's too good a story to throw away. I just intend to write a better book than a romp.
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 am

Welcome Quatermass :D

I can sympathise with you - I thought about entering but I've got a number of writing projects on the go and one of them is shaping up quite nicely into something I'd like to get published but unfortunately is not about an alternative Earth (or too close to the real one and some events I've been 'playing' with) so I passed simply on time and energy grounds. :?

I'm of the school of 'if something's worth doing it's worth doing well' so I think you've probably made the right decision - 6 months or so to write 70K - 100K words is a tall order, especially if you have to start from scratch. :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:09 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Welcome Quatermass :D

I can sympathise with you - I thought about entering but I've got a number of writing projects on the go and one of them is shaping up quite nicely into something I'd like to get published but unfortunately is not about an alternative Earth (or too close to the real one and some events I've been 'playing' with) so I passed simply on time and energy grounds. :?

I'm of the school of 'if something's worth doing it's worth doing well' so I think you've probably made the right decision - 6 months or so to write 70K - 100K words is a tall order, especially if you have to start from scratch. :wink:

I'll say. I basically came up with two concept ideas. The problem was beefing it up to the 80K word minimum, and while I managed to find a story that I was (at first) satisfied with, and started writing this draft (in late November, I might add), once I got to the 56K word mark, I realised that this wasn't the book I wanted to submit.

I intend to follow the guidelines of the contest, barring the whole word limit thing, but I won't be able to finish it on time to submit it. Which is a real pity, it was an excellent story concept. Let's just say that my starting off point was, while not completely original, was a what if question that I don't think has been often done in fiction. It was going to be rather fantastic alternative history, but still very possible.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Welcome to the site! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Welcome to the site! :D

Thanks. It's a pity that I can't enter the competition, but submitting the work that I have that is so close to completion would be a disservice.

I write by intuitive improvisation (to nick a phrase from Christopher Walken's Bond villain Max Zorin), and the current draft, which I am now discarding, is the 34th draft of the second story concept that I thought of. I wrote at least 21 drafts of another story concept which I later abandoned. All drafts were in varying states of completion.

And this, for me, is normal. The only book that I have completed (and which I was looking for an agent for until Terry's competition came knocking) to my complete satisfaction went through over a hundred drafts, several different settings, and at least ten completed full drafts before I was completely satisfied.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Pratchett Prize Subs

Postby rurustarr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:39 am

Hello

Could anyone tell me if they have submitted a manuscript to the competition and received a confirmation email? I submitted yesterday, but nothing has come back from Transworld, so I'm curious if this is the norm.

Thank you :)
rurustarr

Re: Pratchett Prize Subs

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:19 am

rurustarr wrote:Hello

Could anyone tell me if they have submitted a manuscript to the competition and received a confirmation email? I submitted yesterday, but nothing has come back from Transworld, so I'm curious if this is the norm.

Thank you :)

Sorry, can't help you there. I wanted to enter the competition, but unfortunately, my own perfectionism sabotaged me.

As for that, well, there's nothing in the rules about an acknowledgement email. Hopefully, you will receive one later.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby rurustarr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks Quatermass

I gather from writing forums that sometimes an automated response comes back to confirm receipt of the entry, but I wasn't sure whether or not to expect one.
I BCC'd it to myself so I know it went somewhere.

I've never submitted anything to anywhere before.
rurustarr

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome rurustarr :)

Penguin were experimenting with a synopsis submission by email (not a competition and not for manuscripts and they ran it for 3 months) and they did send out an automated email which came back in a minute or so of my sending. As this is for manuscripts I would think that possibly the email would have to be opened before the automated response goes out? Maybe? :)

I would think that Transworld is also perhaps suffering a staffing problem with the cold weather here and as it's also nearly Xmas they might have been winding down around now for the holidays. As you got your BCC OK, I think you must be safe as the email will show the original date anyway, regardless of when they get round to opening them :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Welcome from me too. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Ditto^ :D
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby rurustarr » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Hello everyone
Thank you for having me. :D
I pop in from time to time (which is how I found out about the competition) but I haven't commented before.

All excellent points, thank you Jan. It's just my paranoia creeping in. I'd hate to have written the thing and then have the internet eat it on the way to the competition.

I really needed this goal and creative process this year. It's been a big deal to me to have the project and to complete it. Just another in the long list of reasons I'm grateful to Terry Pratchett. I hope he takes all the entries as evidence of his positive influence and impact on people. Sending in my book (flawed little thing that it is) is as much a thank you card as an entry.

Now that I'm finished writing I'm allowed to read 'I Shall Wear Midnight'. I's been on the nightstand for over a month thanks to thoughtful and kind partner who doesn't understand the concept of torture.
rurustarr

Postby MrMrsHedgehog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Rurustarr, I submitted mine a couple of weeks ago and didn't get any confirmation back, so you're not alone.
MrMrsHedgehog

Postby pip » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Shortlist announced this week for this contest. Congrats to the six .

Quote:
The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But
Here, Anywhen But Now
First Novel Prize
SHORTLIST ANNOUNCED!
Sir Terry Pratchett and Transworld Publishers launched a new award for aspiring
debut novelists in June last year: the Terry Pratchett Anywhere But Here,
Anywhen But Now Prize. Since the deadline for submissions on 31 December
2010, the team have spent many hours reading, reporting and discussing the
over 500 entries that were submitted for the £20,000 prize as an advance on a
publishing contract.
Here is the final shortlist in alphabetical order:
1. Postponing Armageddon by Adele Abbott
2. The Platinum Ticket by Dave Beynon
3. Half Sick of Shadows by David Logan
4. Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan
5. Lun by Andrew Salomon
6. The Coven at Callington by Shereen Vedam
The six shortlisted books cover a breadth of topics and sub genres, imagination
and alternate worlds. Each shortlisted entry was chosen for their skilful writing,
vast imaginative powers and ability to tell a good story!
The winner will be judged by Sir Terry Pratchett, Tony Robinson, Michael
Rowley from Waterstone’s, Marianne Velmans, Publishing Director of
Doubleday and Simon Taylor, Editorial Director at Transworld Publishers. The
winner will be announced by Sir Terry Pratchett at a party to be held on 31 May
Sir Terry Pratchett and Transworld Publishers would like to thank everyone who
submitted an entry to the prize.
For more information please contact: Lynsey Dalladay, Press Officer at
Transworld Publishers on 0208 231 6793 or l.dalladay@transworldpublishers.
co.uk
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett