Bernard Cornwell

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:05 am

The one good thing I'd say about the TV sreies is that it got people reading Bernard's books who might not have otherwise.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:55 am

Bernard Cornwell's next book 'Azincourt' or 'Agincourt' in the US is set for release in the UK on October 1st. :D I'm relieved as I thought it was due out later in the UK and I was going to be in Tucson - I'd planned to order from Amazon Canada. No need now.

It comes out on January 20th in the US.
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

And an excellent book it is too! I bought it and read it almost straight through in one go. :D

He really brings the battle to life and pulls no punches. His research is excellent and the description of the actual battle is one of the best he's ever written.

Go and get it NOW! It's only £10 (and that's for a hardback) in ASDA, what are you waiting for? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Hmmm, I can see I will have to try one of his books soon :)
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 pm

I happened to be looking at Colin Smythe's (Terry's agent) website and the books that Terry has written or contributed to and came upon this item:

AN APPRECIATION OF SHARPE
Bernard Cornwell, Sharpe’s Trafalgar, Scorpion Press, Blakeney, Glos. 1999, p. [vi-viii]. Limited edition, bound in quarter artificial leather and marbled paper-covered boards, 99 numbered copies signed by the author. ‘A further 15 lettered de-lux copies, signed by the author and Terry Pratchett, were produced for private distribution.’ These were bound in quarter real goatskin with raised bands on spine.

More details and a picture here

I had no idea this item existed and my two favourite authors had worked together like this.

:shock: I want one!! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:20 pm

That is an expensive book, Tony.
I have never read any of Bernard Cornwell's books, though I have seen them for sale at car boots. I'm not keen on war books & have never watched Sharpe on T.V. though OH does.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 pm

*jaw hits ground with an almighty crash at the price!* :shock: Blinkety flip Tony! Are these goats from the Gucci herd? :roll:

All joking aside I suppose there's a good chance that if you admire several authors writing ,then they might also do the same as there's likely a link in that they deal with themes in a similar or complementary way perhaps or explore similar lines of interest and/or philosophy? Not an easy concept to sink in, but they do both use historical themes and translate them into themes that we still recognise today even if one works in fantasy and the other in the round world and in an appropriate setting?

Tiffany - even if you don't read BC's books do check out the TV shows - Sean Bean is wonderful in that role! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Well Bernard Cornwell when pressed to name a favourite character from another series named Commander Sam Vimes. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Good taste that Bernard Cornwell.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Nienna » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 am

I've been meaning to get into his books - I've been getting into history quite recently so they look v. interesting! I never knew he wrote Sharpe though! :lol: Thanks for the recommendation.
Nienna

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Believe me the Sharpe boks are far better than the TV series. We've had die hard Sean Bean fans join Hookton.com who, once they've read the books, think they are much better. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby NightOwl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:39 am

massive fan of Cornwell - the Sharpe series were superb for an insight into that period as were his other books - I love the way he gets the reader to understand the period without being too didactic.

9.5/10 so far as I am concerned.
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby chuckie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:06 am

Juat finished my first Cornwell book "Sharps fortress", which i believe is the third book set in India. Really enjoyed it and will definitelyread more, but is it better to read them in order?
chuckie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 am

chuckie wrote:Juat finished my first Cornwell book "Sharps fortress", which i believe is the third book set in India. Really enjoyed it and will definitelyread more, but is it better to read them in order?
They weren't written in order. The first book he wrote was Sharpe's Gold. He then went back and did the back story with Rifle's and Eagle and when he got to Devil, he went right back again to Sharpe's days in India with Tiger and then filled in some gaps in the original books.

So they can be read in chronological order - and that makes most sense, especially if any of the main characters die.

Here's a chronological list of the books and short stories that I compiled. :)

Personally I think he only went back to the India books so he could resurrect Hakeswill. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Just to correct that previous post:

Sharpe's Rifles was written after Sharpe's Siege. I've now added publish dates to the list available on the link. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books