Favorite group poll

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:16 pm

The Guards. No question. Not a bad book in the lot, and most of the top ones are there.

Much as I love the Witches, the series is hampered by the mediocrity of Maskerade.

The Death series is dragged down by the mediocrity of the mall subplot of Reaper Man.

The Moist and Co. series is dragged all the way to the bottom by the total crappiness of Pyramids. :)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Guards/Death/Wizards :wink:

Can't choose between them :P
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby deldaisy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Not ONE of us can post a one choice answer!
:D :D
Must be amazing watching you lot at dinner at a DW convention.
"I'll have the fish!... noooooooooooooo..... the roast!.... waaaait... The Chicken!.. yes... no wait........ I DO like venison....."
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Ahem! :lol:

I wrote:No dithering for me it has to be the Witches on the basis that they're the most powerful and above all sensible people on the Disc. I like the Watch as much really, but they don't have Greebo (which is why they have the edge - even though I really love Gaspode regrettably he can't change his morphic field)... :wink:

One group with qualifications? :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby superfurryandy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 am

Has to be The Watch for me. Vimes is kind of a hero, and I love the books that are set in the city.
superfurryandy

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 am

poohcarrot wrote:Feel free to antagonise me anytime you like. :lol:

With gusto.

BOOT TO THE HEAD!

*thwack*

I would have been more intellectual, but I recently figured out the optimum use of brain power against you.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:21 am

So on all the other forums you used to be on, did you get booted off for being offensive, or were the members too puny for your enormous intellect? :roll:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:31 am

poohcarrot wrote:So on all the other forums you used to be on, did you get booted off for being offensive, or were the members too puny for your enormous intellect? :roll:

Uhh, no to both. There is a distinction between a troll and an insufferable, annoying intellectual who doesn't suffer fools gladly. A fine distinction, yes, but a distinction nonetheless.

I know not to cross the line. I prefer to be annoying rather than offensive. You can get away with annoying, as long as you're remotely entertaining and are not malicious.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:20 am

Anyway, to make up for derailing the thread, I thought that I would do a tally of the votes so far, and yes, I am including fractional votes. If there are two Discworld plotlines mentioned, then each plotline gets half a vote. If there are three, then they get a third of a vote each.

The Wizards of UU = 1.3

The City Watch = 4.6

The Witches = 2.16

Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegle = 0.5

Death & Co = 1.83

Moist Von Lipwig & Co= 0.5

Okay. So, by my calculations, the City Watch books rank first, the Witches (by which I assume the Lancre Coven) second, and the Death stories third.

So far, anyway.

Actually, aren't these threads capable of being made into polls in the first place?

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby DaveC » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:19 am

Quatermass wrote:Actually, aren't these threads capable of being made into polls in the first place?

Just what I was thinking - can't retroactively put one in either, another thread would have to be started.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:45 pm

No you can put a poll on an existing thread - I did it with the Discworld PLaying card Workshop - but it has to be done by the 1st poster (so Mongo that's you) :D

If not then Tony can do it anyway and he can add in other options too

The Witches - has to include the Tiffany series since she interacts with the Lancre Witches in her sub-series

and finally
Quatermass wrote:
pooh wrote:
So on all the other forums you used to be on, did you get booted off for being offensive, or were the members too puny for your enormous intellect?

Uhh, no to both. There is a distinction between a troll and an insufferable, annoying intellectual who doesn't suffer fools gladly. A fine distinction, yes, but a distinction nonetheless.

I know not to cross the line. I prefer to be annoying rather than offensive. You can get away with annoying, as long as you're remotely entertaining and are not malicious.

I don't particularly hate to disillusion you, even though you're still a relative newcomer, but that's being a troll too - only with no excuses if you're aware of what you're doing with some people who aren't so clued up or share your so far indiscriminately vindictive and wholly inappropriate and snidey sense of humour. So far you've had a lot of lifebelts thrown for you 'mate' :evil: but there's a limit to how much longer the people who can be rude and insulting in an amusing and sardonic fashion will put up with your so-called take on intelligent ribbing and sarcasm. If you're doing it to impress and vie with other more established people on this forum it's not working... :roll:

You may be a giant in Who fandom and hugely knowledgeable about other realms of extreme nerd-genredom, but I'm not the only one who's getting pissed off at your constant sniping at other people's perceptions and don't think you're being particularly amusing, let alone funny. Wind your neck back and zip it until you learn how to snipe without wounding and putting other people's backs up or bugger off to WoW or Warhammer or some other community that gets off on posturing like some geek cyber rambo where your pearls of wit and wisdom will be appreciated if not understood.

You have crossed the line - I don't flame like this usually except when I know somebody pretty well (pooh is my witness because we've mutually burnt our respective eyebrows a few times) and I don't do this lightly with you, as a relative newcomer, but this constant attitude is getting old now. Back off and think what you're saying and how other people are not getting your jokes and then apply some discretion and I'll post back to you as I have been doing up until now - I only have so much Yule spirit to spare and you've now had more than your fair share. :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:07 pm

(nice speech Jano! :P )
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Jan, stop holding back. Say what you REALLY think.

[ducking]

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:23 pm

J-I-B wrote:Jan, stop holding back. Say what you REALLY think.

[ducking]

:D

Yeah yeah - :lol: that's after I took a sleeping pill when I hadn't slept for over 3 days. He's a lucky guy I did this today and not yesterday - and so are you! 8)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 pm

In the Moist and Co, does that include Good Omens, Nation, Truckers (etc), Johnny (etc) and Once More With Footnotes?[/quote]

Moist & Co only includes Moist, Dearheart and the Golems, the Post Office workers and the Bank workers

Some of the characters of Discworld don't belong with any group.

Although Tiffany is a witch (provisional) she and the Feegle don't belong with the Witches group
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels