Did you love it or hate it?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Did you love it or hate it?

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:08 am

St Valentine's Day that is.

Mr Dotsie gave me a necklace & I gave him a packet of Jammy Dodgers. Score! :lol:

For dinner we tried to make sushi whilst supping on a bottle of champagne, but it all went badly wrong, so we went to Tesco's & bought belgian waffles instead :D

I have to say though, I'm not really bothered by it all (hence the packet of biscuits), & we generally try to do something nice for saturday night dinner anyway as Mr Dotsie is away all week.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Ogg » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:15 am

Dotsie wrote:...I gave him a packet of Jammy Dodgers. Score!
Wicked, you certainly know how to treat a man Dotsie, now if it had been cocolate hobknobs I'd label you a tempting temptress :)

I simply had to send a card to a rather special person but as she's far far way I had to eat the candle lit dinner for two on my own :)
Last edited by Ogg on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby Tiffany » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:51 am

OH didn't give me a thing for Valentines, but then I didn't give him anything either :) I did get a card though & I was dead chuffed, from a pen pal who lives in Canada, it made my day :D , the fact that he is nearly 80 isn't relevent. :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 am

I think it depends on the situation you are in. If you are on your own it can be quite depressing. Mind you it was pretty depressing when I was married to my ex. :lol:

Sharlene and I have fun with it and I think that's the best way to take it. We send each other cards and gifts, and that is a fun thing to do. Personally I don't think you need a special day to tell someone you love them. :wink:

Having said that, we in Wales have also Saint Dwynwen's Day on January 25th. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 pm

Those lucky Welsh women!

Version two wasn't very romantic, was it? And in the third one, why didn't she just wish she could marry Maelon? Sometimes women are just plain wierd :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:20 pm

i took the boss out for a meal in my local completely forgot that england were playing wales at rugby :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 pm

We don't feel one way or the other about it. We'll say "Happy Valentine's Day" to each other, but we don't buy cards, gifts or do anything special for it. Although, for several years in a row that just happened to be the date of our tax appointment. :oops: :lol: The Things have a lot of fun with it though. :D
Catch-up

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Never really trained mine up and then I got out of the habit anyway *mutters*

I did send an ecard to my 'internet son' but that doesn't really count as it was a cheer up really - his girlfriend dumped him on the 13th :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:49 am

Valentine's day in Japan is a little different. Only women send chocs to men. They send them to their bosses, teachers etc. They are called "giri" chocs which means obligation chocs. I received 9 boxes FFS!

On March 14 is "White Day". This is a concept created by Japanese choc makers. On White Day, men send chocs to women. So all the people who received chocs on Valententine's day have to return the gift. This usually costs me about 150 pounds coz I buy chocs for all my female students!!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Nienna » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:41 am

Haha! Wow, poohb, I never knew that! Interesting.

I don't really know if its a good thing to really hate Valentine's Day. I find it hard to hate a day dedicated to love and kindness. :\ But, I don't like people doing stuff for me on it. It all seems far too contrived for me and I think because everyone says we should send chocolates and fluffy teddy bears holding hearts to each other, that makes me not want to do it: why should I show my love to someone because everyone tells me to? I'll do it when I bloody well feel like it thank you! :wink: Also, it is completely sell-out and the gifts don't seem very personal. Why should I get all romantic and wobbly-legged over some reproduced gift that someone (usually) hasn't really even thought about? :\ If it's on the shelves under a sign that says "For your lovely valentine!" it doesn't mean I actually want it.

Sigh... :roll: [/i]
Nienna

Postby Catch-up » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Great points Nienna. I'm happy with just a "Happy Valentine's Day". :D Most of the merchandise is not that inspired.
Catch-up

Postby Nienna » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Nienna

Return to The Broken Drum