I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT - IS IT A CHILDRENS BOOK?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT - IS IT A CHILDRENS BOOK?

Postby Robocop » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 am

I have not got the book yet, waiting to see what the Hogfather brings :D
Anyway, I have a 11 year old nephew, and my mum wants to buy this for him. He has not, as far as I am aware, read any of Terry's tomes, but I need to know if this is suitable for him. I have read the other three Tiffany books, and whilst they weren't the same adult orientation as the other DW books, I think he would have enjoyed them. Any oppinions folks?
Robocop

Postby pip » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:31 am

Welcome to the site.

Well to be honest its a bit dark but if hes a child that reads it should be ok but It would be a lot better if he read the other three first to ease into it and for it to make sense.

The main difference between the adult and kids books is more the language used than the contents and style.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby One Man Bucket » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:47 am

It's not a Children's book it's a Young Adults book. That being said if you reckon your child has got an adequately good grasp on the nature of the world they shouldn't have any problems digesting the contents of this book
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:49 am

Like pip I think it would be best if your mum buys him Wee Free Men first. There isn't the humour in ISWM that there is in the first book, and since it's the last book in the series it might spoil things for him - relationships that Tiffany has had throughout the series are referred to heavily.

If I was an 11 year-old boy I would prefer WFM. If I was 16 I would prefer ISWM.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Yep - agree with Dotsie and OMB. In a way the books are entirely suited to age of the heroine, who is rather mature in most respects and certainly a bibliophile! :wink: So really these books will strike chords in people from ages 9 - 17 and older if you can remember what the world was like before you 'grew up'
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Antiq » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:54 pm

Depends on the 11 year old. Generally I would say yes, if they are literate and bright enough to get all the worth from it, but I agree with Dotsie et al, best to start with the first one.
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Welcome Robocop! :D

He'll really need to read the others first as this is (I think) very much a series. I suspect that once he has read Wee Free Men, then he'll insist on reading the other books - no matter how grown-up they are. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BobtheDrog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 pm

I agree with the others better to start at the beginning and work his way through the series, like with the harry potters the books are written for the reader to follow as they get older. each one is for a slightly older reader than it's predecessor
BobtheDrog

Postby deldaisy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Hmmmmmmmm. Just finished Midnight. I can't see it being different in scope for children V adults from any of the other DW books. I mean if you are a bit "protective" of your children the language the Cunning Man uses to Tiff is a bit out there for some parents. I have read other DW (adult) books that aren't as confronting about some issues as this book is. As an adult who as a child was raised in the country and knew about the facts of life early it didn't phase me.. though it may to some.
deldaisy

Postby Tiffany » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:45 pm

I agree with the others. Read Wee Free Men first.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby LaurenGuyott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Ok from what I am getting from this, is that "I shall wear midnight" is one in a series.

Would the book make sense (to a certain extent) as a singular story, or is it going to need to be read in order?

"I shall wear midnight" is the 1st terry pratchett book i have ever bought, and I have already started to read it, but might as well stop if it isn't going to make sense without the others!

LaurenGuyott

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi LaurenGuyott :P

If you've started it, read it all. :P
If you like it, then read Wee Free Man, then Hatful of Sky, then Wintersmith, then read ISWM again.

If you don't like it, that's life! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby LaurenGuyott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Haha, good stance!

I was just worried about vital points being missed and therefore the whole story making no sense, but we shall see aye :)
LaurenGuyott

Postby chris.ph » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:48 pm

hello lauren nice mask :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby LaurenGuyott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:48 pm

chris.ph wrote:hello lauren nice mask :)

Thanks
Its just a random google find i think :S

But i likt the picture :P xx
LaurenGuyott

Next

Return to Latest books