best discworld novel ever?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby bikkit » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:31 pm

Theif of time and thud

good omens is my favouritest but that´s not discworld.

I love night watch too but my friend dropped my copy in her bath :cry:

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:47 am

Reaper Man. That being said, Hogfather, Thief of Time, Going Postal, Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight are also amongst my favourites.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Verns » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Quatermass wrote:Reaper Man. That being said, Hogfather, Thief of Time, Going Postal, Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight are also amongst my favourites.

Interesting, Quartermass. I'm going through a Pterry glut at the moment, re-reading a lot of them; I picked up Reaper Man, read a bit of it and then put it guiltily back in the shelf. I don't like it at all, so would dearly like to know what I'm missing! I know it's probably heresy to say it, but I'm not that keen on Hogfather either, although I do love Susan. And I have little time for those tiresome wizards! Particularly Rincewind, who I just want to slap. :x :oops:

Erm, I've just remembered that this is supposed to be about favourites, not least favourites. The Watch can do no wrong in my eyes, so I love all the Watch books, in particular Night Watch and Thud! I also love the Witches - I think Wyrd Sisters was my first DW novel (not counting The Amazing Maurice) and I still have a very soft spot for it. As for the others, Small Gods, Thief of Time, The Truth and Going Postal are definite favourites, as are all the Tiffany Aching books.

In democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism it's your count that votes.
Verns

Best book

Postby mickh46 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi all There are so many that would make it my best ever but if forced to make choice then it would have to be any of the night watch books followed closely by Thief of Time
"What is rule 1"
mickh46

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Welcome to the site, mickh46! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Wow, Verns!

Except for a disagreement on the merits of Hogfather (which is in my Top 5), I'd say your ratings of the various 'series' just about completely align with mine.

Now, if you said that Pyramids was just about the worst DW book we'd be nearly 100% on the same wavelength (and you'd share my space on Pooh's hit list).

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 am

Verns wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Reaper Man. That being said, Hogfather, Thief of Time, Going Postal, Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight are also amongst my favourites.

Interesting, Quartermass. I'm going through a Pterry glut at the moment, re-reading a lot of them; I picked up Reaper Man, read a bit of it and then put it guiltily back in the shelf. I don't like it at all, so would dearly like to know what I'm missing! I know it's probably heresy to say it, but I'm not that keen on Hogfather either, although I do love Susan. And I have little time for those tiresome wizards! Particularly Rincewind, who I just want to slap. :x :oops:

I feel that Reaper Man just hit all the right buttons with me. I like Death and his stories, especially where he tries to learn more about the human condition. But Mort annoyed me, given the love story and the stuff-up Mort made, and Soul Music, while good, seemed to be a rehash of Mort, but what Mort should have been. At least Hogfather and Thief of Time, while similar to each other, had some progression and interesting bits in them. But Reaper Man had Death by himself, confronting his own destiny, and learning about humanity. It didn't hurt that the second plot was interesting and involved the wizards in a good way. And one of Death's lines towards the end was good. WHAT OF THE HARVEST, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:13 am

I didn't like the end of Reaperman with the shopping mall. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:33 am

poohcarrot wrote:I didn't like the end of Reaperman with the shopping mall. :D

I thought that it was a clever and funny idea for shopping malls to be some kind of Lovecraftian cosmic horror. I just wish that it had gotten to the point sooner.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:11 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I didn't like the end of Reaperman with the shopping mall. :D

Totally agree. I think that whole mall and wizards subplot is the reason I didn't like RM that much. Almost as if Pterry felt that a Death story itself wouldn't be popular with readers and threw in some cultural parody and wizards to keep his readers happy.

J-I-B
Last edited by raisindot on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raisindot

Hogfather

Postby angela1221 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi! My favorite is the Hogfather and right now it is available in Hungarian, too. Translation of the title is Vadkanapó (http://konyv-konyvek.hu/vadkanapo). I have been looking forward this!
angela1221

Postby Willem » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:27 pm

My favourites all come from books 11 to 21, a very solid bunch. After that I feel they tend to tread familiar waters, with Going Postal (and Monstrous Regiment) a breath of fresh air.
Willem

Re: Hogfather

Postby michelanCello » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:46 pm

angela1221 wrote:Hi! My favorite is the Hogfather and right now it is available in Hungarian, too. Translation of the title is Vadkanapó (http://konyv-konyvek.hu/vadkanapo). I have been looking forward this!

HI AND HELLOOOO!! :D Welcome to the forum :wink: Funny you should say that - I bought the book yesterday as a christmas present for a classmate of mine :wink: Was actually looking for Soul Music but hungarian bookshops and TP books... :roll:
Didn't know it was so new though :wink:
Good to have someone from Hungary on the forum :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Welcome, angela1221! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Welcome, angela1221! :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

PreviousNext