2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

Option A ~ Regional
14%
Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)
3%
Option C ~ Grouped by Series
37%
Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)
31%
Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)
9%
Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby Jane » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:21 am

Hm, if we're doing art for the Jesters and Aces, that's 18 pieces altogether.
Who else would be willing to do art? Would Anilori? Except she's not very active around here anymore; we'd probably have to look for her on the Disc Monde forums.

There are Discworld artists on Deviantart that might volunteer. Is this a forum only thing, or can we recruit others to do a piece or two?
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby mystmoon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I would be willing to help out with art
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:25 pm

:D You're in MM. A volunteer is worth a dozen pressed men - EWWWWW! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:42 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
Jane wrote:Aw, the poll is locked. :(

Arrgghhh! :shock: They're after me! They've seen through the Pigletonion disguise. I voted and now the poll's shut down. :shock:

Come with me if you want to live :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Sjoerd :roll: :lol:

Jane/Mystmoon - I'd rather keep it to members of this forum, but some of our art contributors are on Deviant too. :)

Whatever happens we know we're doing 4 face cards per suit (incl Aces) plus Jokers (executive decision - we use the Clowns Guild as Jane says but not Verence. Will come back on that later :wink: ) - that's 18 in all. There's BatrickPatrick too, although she's not been on much either lately - I think it's down to our arty types all being younger and up to their ears in exams etc :( However - term ends in a few days so that's in our favour and if worse comes to worse then would you be OK to split the suits between just the 2 of you? :D

Does anyone know what's happened to Cheery? I know she's really busy between school and work so it may be she's had to drop coming over here, but I know she's on deviant and so's Anilori, so can we can try and get in touch with them. That makes a 4 way split easy enough if they want to participate and we're still keeping it in the family as it were... :wink:

All 54 character cards can be done ad hoc if people want to carry on with making up random sets to go on the basic template.

OK - Jokers. Dr. Whiteface yes - and for the other how about a version of the Boffo ad? I'm afraid my memory's shot today but isn't there a little piccy like that in Wintersmith? Alternatively if we want an actual clown then how about the poor little guy who got shot in Men at Arms? Forgot his name too :oops:

The only other thing is the back design - I can do that myself as I'm working on the template (tomorrow in fact) by adapting some of the art from the leaflets/bookmarks for the convention - which Transworld have already approved so this is no different really :wink:

Will have the design template ready early next week 8)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby deldaisy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:

Arrgghhh! :shock: They're after me! They've seen through the Pigletonion disguise. I voted and now the poll's shut down. :shock:

:shock: Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1? :shock:

Don't trust him Pooh! er I mean "Banana!"
Trust NO-ONE!
Run Pooh! ... bleeding heck... "BANANA" Run!
Run like you have never run before and then run some more!
Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!
(oh and don't forget your asthma inhaler)

I have been up all night making you a disguise Pooh errrm "Banana"
Don't thank me now. just ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:

:shock: You said that at the Convention too. I still have problems sitting down, but it certainly is living all right :shock:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:25 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:54 pm

:lol:

I'm sorry Pooh. Next time I will make sure my shotgun is on safe :twisted:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 am

:shock:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jane » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:34 am

If we split the work up, I hope no one will be annoyed at stylistic inconsistency.
Once school finishes, I guess I would be able to do a 9 card half set. It'll take longer to finish the deck than if we had a bunch more people. I also tend to cutesify characters, so I'm sorry if they don't match your head pictures. :(

The clown dude who got shot was named Beano. Alternatively, we could have Edward d'Eath dressed as Beano holding a gonne. Scary clowns holding guns is just pure awesome, and canonical too!
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Ooooo yeah! Beano/Edward! Image :lol: and Dr. Whiteface is scary without anything :twisted:

Don't worry about style or doing the classic face card mirror poses etc - this is about your individual take on the characters and you know we love your artwork so unless you want to experiment then don't sell out your oeuvre as 'twere :wink: (((hugs))) - I'll try PM/emailing about today and see if I can get a few of the other creatives in here and fired up :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby mystmoon » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Wish I knew more pTerry fans on devART but most of the stuff I know is all anime-related.
I have started some designs, will scan them when I get back to Sheffield
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:54 pm

mystmoon wrote:Wish I knew more pTerry fans on devART but most of the stuff I know is all anime-related.

I've found Cheery over there (and actually signed up to leave her a message! :roll: ) but she's not been mega-active there either - last message from her was end of Nov but at the weekend so it might find her OK.

Did someone say Anilori was on deviant - have tried looking and found nada - but she might have another name on there.. :?
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Cheery » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
mystmoon wrote:Wish I knew more pTerry fans on devART but most of the stuff I know is all anime-related.

I've found Cheery over there (and actually signed up to leave her a message! :roll: ) but she's not been mega-active there either - last message from her was end of Nov but at the weekend so it might find her OK.

Did someone say Anilori was on deviant - have tried looking and found nada - but she might have another name on there.. :?

awww sorry for making you sign up! And thanks for sending me that message! I didn't realise how much I missed you guys!

I've voted for "regional" because I'd really like to see a general Ankh-Morpork themed suit (with Lipwig as the joker :lol: ) including the watch, the wizards, Vetinari and all the other wonderful characters who hang out there.
Cheery

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett