2012 DW Convention ~ Cripple Mr. Onion Card School

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How do we theme the Discworld Deck? (re-read 1st post please)

Option A ~ Regional
14%
Option B ~ Suit associated (match character to hearts etc)
3%
Option C ~ Grouped by Series
37%
Option D ~ Ranked characters (Death = Ace)
31%
Option E ~ Inclusive/Random (all 54 character cards)
9%
Option F ~ something else? Suggest something then clever clogs!
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 pm

:lol: When is a King not a King? When she's a Queen Regnant.

Too many to mention but there were at least 2 of note in Ancient Egypt - hardly a civilisation known for it's obsession with equal rights. Namely Hapshepsut who was one of the greatest Pharoahs ever, and of course Cleopatra (although you could argue that she was a Governor under licence from Rome she still called most of the shots and had no co-ruler). Then there's Elizabeth I who was a superlative monarch and politician, also Matilda, daughter of Henry I who literally fought for the crown with her cousin Stephen and only stopped when he agreed to pass the crown to her son Henry II and not his own son as his successor, acknowledging on the sly that her line was the rightfully and better entitled... Other Queen Regnants are well enough known on the British and European thrones, but some lack the clout of Liz and Matty as they had hubbies or a strong masculine council inserting their oars at every opportunity... :?

So bring on the girlie Kings where they fit :wink:

Back in later with some options gleaned from posting so far - as for having 54 character cards... Let's see what our artists have to say about that shall we? :lol: It's certainly possible to do that many, but choosing the faces and aces is already getting complex :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Witches don't curtsy, they bow. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Jadwiga of Poland

Her official title was 'king' rather than 'queen', reflecting that she was a sovereign in her own right and not merely a royal consort :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby deldaisy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 pm

:D Jan while being examined by a fool gynocologist before his students once (the silly man had the NERVE to say something alone the lines of "If women could only get rid of their ovaries and PMT they could rule the world" or something equally proposterous) I launched into a tirade of indignation and listed a long list of "most powerful women of the world historical AND modern" followed by some final lines of "Call administration! I am not having fool like you touching my innards!" and advice to his interns to always "consider the source" when taking advice or notes from a "senior". He gave me a withering look and said "See what I mean!" and walked off. :shock: Good thing I couldn't reach the water jug!

No I only meant on a "traditional" basis for cards if using them with "other" people.

But I stand corrected. Its just that there ARE so many strong women in DW huh.
deldaisy

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Back in later with some options gleaned from posting so far - as for having 54 character cards... Let's see what our artists have to say about that shall we? :lol: It's certainly possible to do that many, but choosing the faces and aces is already getting complex :wink:

Hey, if the Bushie warmongers could scrounge up the images of the 54 most wanted Iraqis to put on playing cards, identifying 54 different DW characters should be a snap.

For example, use Juliet, Sally, Angua and (for equalrightsism) Cheery for the rank right under the jacks.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby deldaisy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Agree Raisindot :D
deldaisy

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 pm

OK! OK!! :lol: 54 all-characters decks are an option - depending on how long people want to wait to have something to play with? :wink:

Seriously - we could do several sets and still not run out of options so I'll get a poll going over the weekend; the creatively gifted can maybe look at existing work they'd like to contribute if it fits or do from scratch and I'll get a very basic template going :)

Perhaps what we could do is set up a catalog to fit the template and people can use set decks as we formulate them, or make up their own altogether from a mix of what's been produced?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby deldaisy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:OK! OK!! :lol: 54 all-characters decks are an option - depending on how long people want to wait to have something to play with? :wink:

Seriously - we could do several sets and still not run out of options so I'll get a poll going over the weekend; the creatively gifted can maybe look at existing work they'd like to contribute if it fits or do from scratch and I'll get a very basic template going :)

Perhaps what we could do is set up a catalog to fit the template and people can use set decks as we formulate them, or make up their own altogether from a mix of what's been produced?

Brilliant idea Jan. Cards 2 - 10 with a template (border with the suit and denomination and existing artwork to fit inside the border) and special artwork to honour the picture cards. A bit of photoshopping should make the two-way option easier.
deldaisy

Postby Jane » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Whoa, a full character deck?
I was thinking maybe the 12 face cards, 2 jokers, and the aces for character pictures, and even then, choosing the characters is pretty hard.

I imagined organizing the characters based on their personality, like Carrot for King of Hearts, Rosie as Queen of Hearts, and Casanunda as Jack of Hearts. Or is that too complicated?

And that brings up stylistic features...
Should we have the traditional 4-5 color palindrome cards with thick outlines, or just clear outlined regular pictures set inside the template square?
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Bumpity bump - for poll on how we theme this :wink:

Please refer to the 1st post for details on the various options :D
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jane » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Aw, the poll is locked. :(
The rumour spread through the city like: ______.
A) Wildfire
B) Margarine
C) Venereal disease
D) A disco of pain
Jane

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Locked? :? Well 3 people have all voted for the serials...

TONY! Can you twiddle with the poll setting for us please if it's got stuck?
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Jane wrote:Aw, the poll is locked. :(

Arrgghhh! :shock: They're after me! They've seen through the Pigletonion disguise. I voted and now the poll's shut down. :shock:
poohcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 am

That's because your a shitehawk pooh. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:05 am

Shitehawk = "A useless, going nowhere, idiot that talks crap."

Yep! That's me! :lol:
poohcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett