Living With Alzheimer's BBC2 Documentary

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Terrys trial

Postby Treekeeper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 pm

What a brave guy he is! All I can say is my admiraton for him grows on and on. I hope he will still be able to come and do book signings when discworld novels come out. He spent 20 minutes talking to me and signing personal messages for my daughter and myself at the last one he did in Lancaster despite there being a long queue. I wish him well and hope a cure oe become available soon
Treekeeper

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Welcome to all of you who have come here to wish Terry the best. Don't know if you'll be tempted to stay - we'd love it if you did. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:54 pm

welcome all :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:17 pm

What Tony & Chris said from me too. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby silverstreak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Ditto.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 am

Yeah :D

(Are we just scaring people off now? Don't go!)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 am

Sentiments wholeheartedly echoed - :D

If you admired the man you saw on the programmes enough to register and applaud his efforts to raise such important issues on this terrible condition and its effects on society as a whole, then please stay and see why we're all here already, if you don't already know Sir Terry's life-celebrating and inspirational work.
The potential loss or diminishment of this remarkable gift of spreading joy and laughter that he gives to his readers worlwide, is the reason why he's been moved to take up this banner on his own behalf, and for all the others who have given so much already in their lives to their families, and friends, and to the world. :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby LadyL » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Its so sad, but unfortunately I wasnt in Europe when this was on TV

and I missed it all.

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated :) you know what I mean, do you? :P
LadyL

Postby big yan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:30 pm

i've been a fan of terrys for a good few now but after seeing him fighting the (other) beast that cant be named. he has become a role model as well.
hope to be involved with his fight!
kev
big yan

Postby Catch-up » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 am

I haven't been able to watch this either. Wish I could somehow! If anyone knows of a site I could view it on, I would be grateful.

I'm heartbroken for anyone who has this disease. I dearly wish Sir Terry did not have it. :cry:
Catch-up

Postby Batty » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:42 pm

I really enjoyed the programmes. I also agree with TP about disliking being called 'brave'.
When I had cancer I was called brave and I still don't understand why?
There is nothing brave about being ill. It isn't a choice I made and there was nothing I could do about it, except accept whatever treatment was thrown at me.

Luckily, I gradually got better, which not everyone does. TP has to hope for a breakthrough or a long remission, which has to be harder to bear.

One question I thought of though when I watched the programme. If the sight is mostly affected, has TP tried to tie his tie with his eyes closed, and rely on memory alone?
By putting the brain on auto-pilot and memory alone may by-pass the sight/brain problem?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby woolliebullie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Just finished watching the second part of the documentary, I was really moved by Sir Terry's thoughts and feelings toward his form of the disease. Even though it is daunting for him he was quite on form throughout the documentary.

I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable for him while reading at the convention though, I kept hoping that the camera would move from him while he gathered himself, but he still managed to laugh it off.

My hat goes off to him and all those who suffer from this diease, as well as their families.
woolliebullie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 pm

woolliebullie wrote:Just finished watching the second part of the documentary, I was really moved by Sir Terry's thoughts and feelings toward his form of the disease. Even though it is daunting for him he was quite on form throughout the documentary.

I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable for him while reading at the convention though, I kept hoping that the camera would move from him while he gathered himself, but he still managed to laugh it off.

My hat goes off to him and all those who suffer from this diease, as well as their families.
Welcome to the site. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 pm

welcome wooliebullie good name not welsh r u :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby woolliebullie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi Chris.

I'm not welsh, sorry!!

It's a nick name I received when I adopted my two Mastiffs, not sure why I was given it, but it has stuck!!! :oops:
woolliebullie

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett