Rankin' Rankin

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Rankin' Rankin

Postby raisindot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 pm

As in Robert Rankin.

Based on the suggestions of you folks on other humorous British writers, I've been plowing through the relatively small selection of Rankins available through my public library system. So far, I've read (in order, although not necessarily wisely)

The Toyminator
Raiders of the Lost Car Park
(Forgot the name) The one with the evil protagonist who gets a job flicking a light switch all day for the telephone company)
Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls (still in it)

My overall impression is that, while entertaining and often very funny, Rankin shares Jasper Fforde's terrible flaw of trying to out-clever Doug Adams, PTerry, Neil Giaman and other, far superior and original British humor writers.

His characters are not particularly deep, compelling or distinguishing, his plots are not very original, usually some kind of very explicit parody of detective, SF, crime or other Hollywood genres. And his use of overly 'cure' literary tricks (like repeating narrative sentences as dialogue, or using annoying made-up words like "bestest") gets cloying after awhile.

In other words, well-written but rather forgettable trash that is fun to read for its own sake but doesn't leave you thinking "Wow, this is an amazing book" the way PTerry's best work often does.

Just my .02

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:08 pm

I'd generally agree with that. I've read a few and found them amusing, but wouldn't go out of my way to read any more. Actually, I found his first book, The Antipope, very disappointing.

Still, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing. For example, some people think Pyramids is Terry's best book. :shock:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:49 am

Tonyblack wrote:I'd generally agree with that. I've read a few and found them amusing, but wouldn't go out of my way to read any more. Actually, I found his first book, The Antipope, very disappointing.

Still, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing. For example, some people think Pyramids is Terry's best book. :shock:

I found Pyramids.......not my favourite. Not saying I didn't enjoy it. Perhaps one day I will reread it and see what I missed. (though I rarely read any book more than once there are a few that I have; maybe one of the reasons I am a fan of the DW books). But there are other DW books I would and have reread. One not being Pyramids.
deldaisy

Postby mystmoon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 am

read a couple of Rankins books, but i find them quite hard work to slog through, in comparision to pTerry where I fly through the story
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:36 pm

I love Robert Rankin.

I'm currently in re-read mode and keep swapping from Pterry to RR.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Tonyblack wrote:For example, some people think Pyramids is Terry's best book. :shock:

I shall refrain from making qualitative comments about "Pyramids" for three reasons:

1. This is a discussion of Rankin;
2. My views on Pyramids are pretty well known;
3. Any negative comments about Pyramids puts one at risk of getting poohed upon.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Robert Rankin is very funny and gets funnier the more you read, but I'd overall agree with J-I*b. (except about Pyranids because he's a twit! :lol: )

PS And so is Tony! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

poohcarrot wrote:Robert Rankin is very funny and gets funnier the more you read, but I'd overall agree with J-I*b. (except about Pyranids because he's a twit! :lol: )

I didn't realize Rankin wrote a book called "Pyranids." Why is he funny with his other books and yet a twit for writing this book? Was this one yet another tired Rankin parody, in this case of a crappy PTerry book?

Ooops. Broke my own vow. Here we go....

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:39 pm

I realise you're only doing that in memory of Leslie Nielson, so I forgive you. :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:40 pm

My Favorite Rankin books are the original trilogy, Fforde copied his style in one of his books, he does does not try to out funny anyone as that is his own stlye some of his characters are based on real people and places, and is one of the authors who Terry says makes him laugh,I was at a Con one time where the Robster was the GOH and Terry turned up as a fan. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm

I quite enjoyed what I've read so far. I wouldn't call the books trash, they've got some clever parts and some annoying parts (just like Fford). But the clever parts are not as clever as Terry's clever parts.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16 pm

I wanna go for a drink in the Flying Swan!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Well you can't go for a drink in the old one as it was turned in to flats, but the new one is in the high Street ,disguised as The Magpie and Crown.
[url]Image[/url]
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I wanna go for a drink in the Flying Swan!!

Don't know how to made them smaller though.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Just made it smaller hope it turns out Ok

Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books