what did you read as a child ?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Danny B » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Just about anything, although I gravitated more towards adventure novels, horror and SF&F. I went through a bit of a period of reading anything about animals, whether they were anthropomorphised, like in Redwall and its sequels, or slightly (though not much) more naturalistic, such as Duncton Wood, Marshworld or Watership Down, as well.

I would say my absolute favourites were The Hobbit and LotR, The Borrible trilogy by Michael de Larrabeitti, The Deptford Mice trilogy, Whitby Witches and Whitby Child by Robin Jarvis, and anything by Diana Wynne Jones, Ursula K. le Guin, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Michael Moorcock, Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Westall, Graham Masterton, M.R. James, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Douglas Adams.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby Antiq » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:49 pm

As a child, oh wow.....Jack and Jill, anyone remember that? Beano, tons of Enid Blyton, Hans Anderson, the brothers Grimm, A C Doyle, and, believe it or not, GK Chesterton. I still have his Coloured Lands, the copy I have must be more than 60 years old now.
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Postby deldaisy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:36 am

Like I have said before... I am number 11 of 12 kids who never had TV. :D Soooooooooooooo many books. Moving our book collections every three years was a larger operation than moving the furniture. It was always the ideal of the other kids "teach the little ones to read really early and you won't have to read TO them" so I read my first novel at 5. (apparently my parents didn't aprove of that book and it was the ONLY time I ever had a book taken away from me.) We had books on every subject under the sun; everyone had different tastes and they were all there for the reading. I think we had more books than the travelling library van.
Though I do remember with joy a little hard cover children's book called "Bunchy". Loved that book. She was a little girl who lived with her grandmother and had to amuse her self with cotton reels and pegs and things she found around the house (guess I identified with her). She also had a vivid imagination and there were "people who lived in the carpet" Hmmm. Sound familiar?
deldaisy

Postby Maria » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:08 pm

I know where you're coming from deldaisy. I'm the 5th of 11. :shock: Books gives me more pleasure than TV ever could. The Brothers Grimm. I read these stories I think when I was four. I was given a big hardcover book full of rhymes for Christmas. It was the Matilda rhyme we had to perform when I was about 6 at school. My most vivid memories of reading are the Thelwell books. With the ponies. I know they're picture books, but did they make me laugh! :lol: I was going to reget them, but they are so expensive now. I can highly recommend them if you want a good giggle.
Maria

Postby Tiffany » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi Maria, I collect all things Thelwell & have all the books, in hb & pb. Not just the pony books. Thelwell was a brilliant cartoonist. He was also a not so bad artist too. I have picked up my collection, mostly cheaply from car boot sales, etc.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby james.a.vivian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:28 am

I was really keen on the Chose your own adventure book series and Encyclopedia brown kid detective books.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby snowballs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:32 pm

wind in the willows was my first book that I read myself, over and over again.
There is a Swedish authour called Sven Nordqvist who writes about an old hermit and his cat findus that my kids loved, I have bought them in English for my brothers sons aswell, really good books.
Allen Garner was an authour I liked when I was round 10-13 really good.
snowballs

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Remember Tin Tin? :D
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby snowballs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 pm

deldaisy wrote:Remember Tin Tin? :D

He is loved in Sweden, motherinlaws dog is called milou and one of my freinds sons is called milou after tintins dog.
snowballs

Postby snowballs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Will try this, if anybody has small kids these books are amazing.
http://www.sfinternational.se/static/img/movies/6D7D69A2-E4C3-4FE1-8604-C9FA108E063C/packshot.jpg
snowballs

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Did'nt he get canned and sold as dog food. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 pm

snowballs wrote:

He is loved in Sweden, motherinlaws dog is called milou and one of my freinds sons is called milou after tintins dog.
Tin Tin's dog is called Snowy over here. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby snowballs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
snowballs wrote:

Tin Tin's dog is called Snowy over here. :lol:

Was he??? no idea never read tintin when I was little but all the kids read it here.
ADHD isnt a problem it's like having another gear when you need to go faster
snowballs

Postby james.a.vivian » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 pm

I was more an Asterix and Obelix man myself in fact I still am, not to say that I didn't read Tin Tin
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby snowballs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 pm

james.a.vivian wrote:

I was more an Asterix and Obelix man myself in fact I still am, not to say that I didn't read Tin Tin

Totally agree with you about Astrix and Obelix. I used to read them while I had detention in the school library.
ADHD isnt a problem it's like having another gear when you need to go faster
snowballs

PreviousNext

Return to Children's Books