Why is it?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Why is it?

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Why is it so hard to buy a can opener these days?

Mine broke and I thought I'd easily get one from Tesco.

Wrong!

I counted eight different types of corkscrews there but only one type of can opener. The same type that I bought there before which was rubbish and broke after a couple of uses. :evil:

And trying to find a decent can opener these days seems to be getting harder and harder. I have had about five in the last few years and they've all either broken or basically not worked.

It's not like we've all stopped using cans is it.

Add your 'why is it' questions here. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Straw Walker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:56 pm

We bought one of those automatic push button ones about 4 months ago as Mrs SW has problems with her hands. It lasted through 2 battery replacements then just refused to work again. :x
Our current gripe is with indoor clothes airers. The metal 'scissor' action types the rivets come loose and the whole thing collapses spreading clean washing across the floor and similarly, I'm having to tighten the screws on a fairly expensive wooden one every other time it's folded and unfolded. :evil:
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I know what you mean. Everything is so shoddily made these days. :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm

We had to get one of those plug in electric can openers too as we couldn't find a wall mounted turn handle type in Tesco either. It only works when it feels like it. :x
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Can't complain about mine. Although I only bought it about a month ago as I was fed up complaining about the last one :roll:

Why is it that I can't meet anyone who is a parent without them asking me "So are you going to have children then or what?" Mind your own business I say! :x

My stock answers include:
"I'll have one soon" (to placate them - just followed by warnings of my most probable infertility at this age)
"I can't have any" (the only answer that doesn't seem to cause offence)
"So are you going to have a career then or what?" (This does not go down well - I only use it if I'm feeling :twisted: )

As you can perhaps tell I've just had some hassle - two mums at once, & I wasn't allowed to offend them :roll: Although I am pretty easy going, this really pushes my buttons!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 pm

:lol: I know what you mean Dotsie! It's like some people seem to think that having a baby is the only thing to make your life complete.

And to listen to some people you'd think that getting pregnant was particular difficult. Why do we congratulate people when they get pregnant? It's a basic human function - we might as well congratulate them for a bowel movement. :lol:

Ok - all joking aside - if someone decides they either don't want children or that they aren't ready to have children, then it's no one's business but theirs.

Maybe if more people did that there'd be less unwanted kids around. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:23 pm

*shakes head sympathically at Dotsie* Luckily I'm too old now to get that any more (although technically I could still reproduce). I once said 'No I'm not - but if I did I'd make them blow their noses once in a while' :P Luckily she was a good enough friend to laugh it off...

Seriously the 'I can't have kids' one is the clincher of course, but it's sometimes the hardest to say, even if it's true, because you feel bad admitting to it in the first place and also because you feel bad when the asker gets embarassed or sad for saying it at all and then you get the pitying looks as well... even though as you say it's none of their business and why should you be made to feel so awkward.

And mums are just too much, especially if they team up :roll: I really don't know why people even ask the question - I never have as I think it's a really intrusive thing to do.

As for flaming can-openers! :evil: I'm left-handed and my housemate's right and it just infuriating how often the ones we managed to find that 'go both ways' never seem to last long and as you say the electric type ones are temperamental but it's not just openers - peelers are horrible (although Tesco does do a 2-way hand held that doesn't make you feel like your fingers are being slowly re-sculpted and feels reasonably comfortable to use) and knives! :roll: Luckily Pete doesn't use them too much but we have got a couple of 'hers only' ones so he doesn't skew them and make it impossible for me to cut up meat effectively (you wear the edge on one side so if you both use the blade then it's not as sharp... :x )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Peelers aren't a problem for me as I like to eat the peel. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Bish » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:34 pm

I was mythed enough when i realised my household had thrown out the electric tin opener and replaced it with a manual one. Didnt realise there was a problem finding one at all.
Bish

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Bish wrote:I was mythed enough when i realised my household had thrown out the electric tin opener and replaced it with a manual one. Didnt realise there was a problem finding one at all.
Not just that but you also have the Goddess Anoia to deal with. :wink:

Welcome to the site Bish. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Quilpusha » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Dotsie wrote:Why is it that I can't meet anyone who is a parent without them asking me "So are you going to have children then or what?" Mind your own business I say! :x

Years ago, before ours started sprouting out everywhere, and the better half and I had been married for a couple of years, we were often asked, 'when are you going to have children'.
My 'stock' answer was, 'when I find a saucepan big enough to cook a child in'. That back in the early '60's stopped most conversations about children dead in their tracks.
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Quilpusha wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Why is it that I can't meet anyone who is a parent without them asking me "So are you going to have children then or what?" Mind your own business I say! :x

Years ago, before ours started sprouting out everywhere, and the better half and I had been married for a couple of years, we were often asked, 'when are you going to have children'.
My 'stock' answer was, 'when I find a saucepan big enough to cook a child in'. That back in the early '60's stopped most conversations about children dead in their tracks.
:lol: Nice one!
Tonyblack

Postby Quilpusha » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 pm

. . . and as to opening cans, try taking them out onto the drive of your home, lay on a baking tray and back a wheel of the car over them.
Do remember to do them one at a time, or you mix all their contents.
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Quilpusha wrote:. . . and as to opening cans, try taking them out onto the drive of your home, lay on a baking tray and back a wheel of the car over them.
Do remember to do them one at a time, or you mix all their contents.
I'd try that except a) I don't have a drive and b) I don't have a car. :P
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Quilpusha wrote:Years ago, before ours started sprouting out everywhere, and the better half and I had been married for a couple of years, we were often asked, 'when are you going to have children'.

I like that one :D I also used to say "Oh but I love children. I just couldn't eat a whole one"
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Next

Return to The Broken Drum