"What The Hell Do I Do Now?" Thread ~ GUILDTY!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

"What The Hell Do I Do Now?" Thread ~ GUILDTY!

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Update edits ~ due to patchy availability for prospective players we'll now play over a longer day phase. Have amended time limits where apropriate in BLUE!

Some people may have played or heard of the murder elimination game of Mafia - also called Assassin or Werewolf... (bet you can't guess which version this might be! :P )
It's a very simple whodunnit (several times over) type of thing where you're either a Citizen or a Mafia killer and - well lets show you how we can play it here and then you can decide whether you'd like to sign-up :wink:

GUILDTY!

Lord Havelock Vetinari has decided to formalise the body of Guild and Other Leading Citizens (OLC) spokespersons that ‘help’ him run the city. But there’s a catch - he will only allow 5 representatives into the House of Advisement and there are more than 5 Guilds or similar aspiring organisations of course…

… Two days after the announcement, rivalry reaches fever-pitch as a sometime member of the Alchemists Guild, Jan Van Quirm is found dead from a very nasty bump on the head, slumped over her super-sized mortar, where she had been grinding dried paprika peppers in her endless quest for the missing ingredient to the fabled chili-chocolate ice cream. Her pestle is nowhere to be found…

The murder has all the hallmarks of an Assassin’s Guild sanctioned inhumation – BUT – the Guild produces evidence that they have suspended all Guild & OLC-related contracts in Ankh-Morpork for the duration of the election process. The Watch are now looking at the dire possibility of a non-licenced killer (or killers) who may or may not be linked to the Assassin’s Guild, as the city’s most prominent people are wondering who will be next. Suspicion and paranoia run rampant on the mean streets…

The Disc’s sun slowly rises on Day 1 of the hunt as news of the first killing spreads and speculation is rife

HOW TO PLAY THIS

1. Sign-up for the game by posting below. It helps in this game to be able to post at least once every week - so up to 7 days) – if you can’t get in that often, then maybe you ought not to sign-up for a playing role – although you may post in the game thread as a Gawper (this is AM after all!) so you can then comment on what’s happening whenever you wish, but you will not be able to nominate/accuse people for imprisonment, vote – or get killed. :)

2. Depending on how many sign-ups we have, a playing role will be PMed to you as the game starts. You will be told in the PM whether you are a secret Citizen (potential victim) or a secret Rogue Assassin (RA -the killers) and some of you on either side will have special 'powers' or additional tasks to fulfil during the game – the PM will let you know what you have to do.
The roles are all assigned randomly (names out of a hat) so please do not beg to play a certain role…

a) If you are a Citizen you will not know who anyone else is – you have to figure that out yourselves.

b) If you are a Citizen you must not reveal what your secret task or power is (if you have one) unless prompted to do so by the Narrator (Jan)

c) If you are an RA you will be told the identity of your fellow RAs (at least one other person) and can have ‘behind the scenes discussions’ (BTSD) with them – PM or other means of doing this are up to you and your RA team mates.

3. Starting with a day phase (lasting up to 7 days) you will all be on the lookout for a likely suspect (or if you are an RA to divert suspicion away from yourself and/or your partner(s)). Each day phase cycle all the players post a vote for whomever they wish to gaol on suspicion of being a killer – you are allowed to change your vote ONCE per day phase IF you think you made a mistake (or wish to muddy the waters), or you can just vote the once and stick to your guns and the person you first voted for.
Whoever gets the most votes is then imprisoned and can no longer take an active part in the game (other people can also be a Gawper if they like, but they cannot nominate for arrests, vote or be killed). In the event of a tie the Narrator will determine who goes to gaol by a coin toss or other appropriate method (this cannot be appealed or challenged).
Players may also abstain from voting (or withdraw your first vote) but you must ensure you post your intention clearly as this may mean you attract suspicion yourself (this is why you need to post at least once during the day phase, as no-shows have a tendency to get voted out in the next round…)
4. Once the night phase begins (after 7 days of day phase posting and voting) no more voting can take place. All the players seemingly go home and must not post or communicate until the next day phase.
The Narrator confirms who has been sent to prison and will prompt players allowed to have night-time activity to PM her.

a) the RAs decide with BTSD who they want to be killed next (though they do not post on this of course) and PM the Narrator as to who they want killed next (up to another 7 day window ). This may be a joint decision or a ‘free’ vote’ but all RAs must PM the Narrator with their choice of victim. In the event of a free vote the person voted for most shuffles off this mortal coil and if it’s a tie by the Narrator’s coin toss etc

b) Players on both sides with special powers or tasks will also be asked to PM the Narrator to state whom they wish to be the subjects of their investigation/protection etc

Once all the BTSD or actions are over the Narrator then updates the story for the next day phase by revealing the next RA killing and any other events that may have happened under the cover of darkness.

5. And so on – with everyone voting off one person during the day phase and the RAs selecting one more victim every night phase until we get down to either the Citizens imprisoning all the Rogue Assassins (in which case the Citizens have won) or the other way when all the Citizens are dead or incarcerated – so the Rogue Assassins win.

THE RULES

1. Make sure you don’t reveal your true role to anyone (unless you’re an RA in which case you know your fellow killer(s) and they you) unless the Narrator says you can – else you’ll end up dead much quicker…

2. Just post as yourself / your regular profile and if that’s one of the official roles (there’ll be a rolling preview of these given during the sign-ups) then we can discuss what you want to do about your posting ID if there's a potential duplication (for instance - if wannabeangua is playing and Angua is one of the official roles then we might just refer to her as wannabe – 'cos she could be Carrot in the game... or replace Angua with Nobby

3. Do NOT try to roleplay your assigned role else we’ll get confused and you could be the target of the next killing or witchhunt. Everyone is themselves, a Citizen of AM on the thread.

4. Try not to get too upset with what happens once the killings start. If you’re eliminated you can still take part as a Gawper!

5. Try not to get too brutal with your accusations or denials – it’s a fun game to play so keep it light-hearted and remember if you’re too nasty then you’re likely to end up in the Patrician’s cells –possibly with a Mime!

You have been warned!

Let the sign-ups commence & feel free to ask questions in here if you need to :wink:

As people are gradually drifting in to sign-up we're now keeping sign-ups and the start date open - once we have enough people (at least 7 full players) I'll PM around and we'll get going :wink:
Hopefully we'll have a minimum of 7 people sign up on full status (Gawpers are unofficial bystanders and have no active part in the votiing etc), the more full status people who join up, the more characters we can bring into the 'frame' - but please bear in mind that you'll need to be available to post at least once every 7 days please! :twisted:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Good luck with this! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:44 pm

:roll: No takers yet? But some of you have been looking :)

OK lets tell you some more about this and see if I can lure you in to sign-up :wink:

Availability - roughly you'd be expected to post once every 24 hours but that's on busier boards of course. I'm playing in a game just now on my other forum with 7 other peeps and we're going OK with just 1 post per 48 hours (or longer if someone regular is a little late) but as we haven't got so many people posting most days I could perhaps extend the voting phases to 72 hours or longer depending on people who are interested but can't get in that often - SO DON'T LET TIGHT POSTING DEADLINES PUT YOU OFF! :wink: I can be flexible and have a timeframe to suit the 'official' players

What else might put you off signing off? *scratching chin*

'Acting' a special role? For people who don't like roleplay - this isn't that type of game where you have to 'play' at being Carrot or Dr. Whiteface - the whole point of Guildty! is that everybody's innocent on the thread and most people (except the Assassins) aren't supposed to know who anyone else is - so even if you ARE an assassin you're not supposed to ACT like one... in public anyway :P
The 'roles' are strictly for behind the scenes purposes and only amount to the assassins telling the narrator who gets killed next - or for the hunter/protector roles to tell the narrator who they want investigated or made immune from attacks or imprisonment...
So if you're shy about posting as one of the official roles (if assigned to you) then don't be because that has to remain a secret in the same way that the assassins ID are unknown throughout until they're all in gaol and the Townies triumph... :twisted:

:D All you're being asked to do in the thread is post wild speculation or accusations and gradually try to guess, from people's responses or reactions to others denials or pleas of innocence, who the assassins are before they kill the lot of you! :twisted:

Some teasers then and lets start with one of the 'Assassin' roles to whet your appetites (I'm using any character who fits the brief regardless of whether they've been killed off or are still current - assume this happens during a time when they're still around... :twisted: )

Mr. Pin ~ a promising young psychopath who has been refused membership of both the Assassins and the Thieves Guilds on the vague grounds of 'unsuitability'. You are currently setting up shop in Ankh-Morpork as an independant contract killer and are open to all offers for a very modest fee. Every night you prowl the streets or rooftops in search of your secret client's next target...

and finally ~ GAWPERS ~ normally non-participants aren't allowed to post but as this is Ankh-Morpork and by-standing is an advanced art form (and because there's not too many regular posters) I've decided (as the 1st corpse and narrator) to allow anyone to post in the game, but if you're not a sign-up you are 'only' part of the street scene and so cannot nominate suspects, vote or indeed get killed. You can however get on bandwagons, join witch hunts and generally egg people on -in other words you may react to what's the players are getting up to... And of course its fun to join in a bit and maybe next time you might like to play officially... :?: :!: :wink:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby cols » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Okay Jan I give in :D :D
Never played anything like this But I'm game so sign me up!!!!
cols

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Well now I've had time to read the whole post I'm happy to have a go, but do we have enough members who post that regularly? Maybe we're just a board full of gawpers :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:14 pm

I have to say that I have seen this played on other boards and if it is done well then it can be a whole lot of fun.

I'm not a games player - never have been, but I'll certainly be gawping with interest. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks for signing up Cols and Dotsie - brave ladies! If we can get 7 people then that'll be enough to have a bit of fun and a nice bit of mixing up with about 4 'proper' roles to mix things up a bit :wink:

It's quite easy to get the hang of things once we start and you'll know from the outset what status you have in the game.
There'll be at least 2 Assassins who will team up and basically need to appear to be ordinary A-Mers in the thread and evade being slung into gaol - so one is Mr Pin obviously :wink:
The Townies will mostly just have a vote on who to send to gaol every day phase, but at least 2 of them will have additional 'duties' in the game as a Townie who can protect others - or as a member of the Watch. So lets meet one of A-M's finest who will be in the line-up

Sgt. Angua ~ One of Ankh-Morpork’s finest Watch officers, every day you are hot on the trail of the killers. To aide you in doing this, you have 2 powers of arrest you can use. You may only use 1 at a time and may not use them on the same person twice in a row. Each night you will choose to either:

1) Place person X under house arrest ~ the person you choose to use this power on will be confined to their house the following day and will be unable to post or vote in the next day's round of voting.

2) Take in person X for questioning ~. whoever you choose to use this power on will be unable to use any secret powers/abilities that they may have.

Hopefully we'll get some more people wanting to join up soon - the absolute minimum we need is 5 people who are prepared to take a full part rather than just Gawp :lol: And the Gawpers anyway will be able to add to the speculation part if nothing else :wink: At least 2 more roles to come and maybe more if we get more interest 8)
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:22 pm

sorry jan not my type of thing :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:35 pm

NP Chris - but come by and gawp if you like! :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:49 pm

ill have a gawp then :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Hmmm - :? well I'll keep up with the character previews for now as there aren't too many (one more after this one) and bump the ad thread over at the Drum and see if I can tempt anyone else over during the next few days and then give it up for now anyway. :)

Worth a try and a bit of patience as it's a million to one chance that we'll get enough people for this :wink:

So our next Assassin we'll be hunting for is *drumroll*....

Mr. Jonathan Teatime (pron. Tay-ah-Tim-ah) ~ a rather too thorough and over-zealous member of the Assassin’s Guild, Lord Downey, the Guild-head has expressed concerns to the Watch over you so you are therefore the subject of close surveillance and high up on the list of suspects. This only makes your sociopath mindset even more determined to pull off the ‘impossible’ under the very noses of the Guild, the Patrician and the Watch. Every night you prowl the streets or rooftops in search of your secret client's next target...
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:45 pm

Players so far:

cols
Dotsie
Tonyblack
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:55 pm

*blows grateful thank you kiss in the vague direction of Cardiff and hopes Tucson doesn't mind too much* :P

Seriously though it's no big deal if we don't get enough people to go with this time - and I'm amusing myself quite happily here so it's honestly not a slog for me :D (I can always trot this out another time somewhere - or maybe try an Uberwald version with Werewolves instead of Assassins :wink: )
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Well - time to tuck this up and put it to bed for now I think. I may very well use this on another site later in the year so the planning isn't wasted and it was anyway really fun to put this together - so here's the last key role and a partner for Angua :D

The Librarian ~ as a ‘special’ Watch officer (and a wizard librarian too of course) you have been called in for this crisis situation, assisting the regular officers who are hot on the trail of the killers. Commander Vimes has assigned you to special duties and each night you will choose one of the guild members you consider most at risk to guard.
Whoever you choose to protect will survive any attempt at assassination for that night only. You cannot choose to protect the same person twice in a row, nor are you immune to attack as you cannot guard yourself…

So many thanks to Cols, Dotsie and especially to Tony (as he volunteered against his inclinations :P ) for your interest - maybe we'll try it another time if the forum continues to grow? (Pollyanna :D )
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Aw! Really sorry it didn't take off Jan. :(

Maybe there'll be more interest in it another time.
Tonyblack

Next

Return to Games