Discworld technology

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld technology

Postby Straw Walker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm

My favourite has got to be Hex. Ten tons of assorted ants nests, beehives, glass tubing - made by a glass blower with hiccups - a mouse (real one inna nest) and of course the GBL and the FTB. I like the way extra bits have been added and of course it's temperament echoes Microsoft's finest.
A close second would have to be Sam's dis-organiser, Bingely beep! :)
So, what do you like?
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:06 pm

I do like the fact that proper clockwork things are more highly valued than ones driven by imps. And I'm kind of looking forward to what is going to happen with the tunnels and Devices found under A-M in Thud! The rumour (more than that really) is there is going to be an Underground Railway. I believe that maps of the stations have already been constructed, although I don't know how official that is. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Straw Walker,you've already booked the two best bits of Discworld
cutting edge technology.Although I wouldn't mind a shot at the ablutions
in the Unseen University as demonstrated by Mustrum Ridcully in Hogfather.As far as I can see the only requirment needed is not to have
a faint heart (or a weak one).
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Straw Walker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I do like the fact that proper clockwork things are more highly valued than ones driven by imps. And I'm kind of looking forward to what is going to happen with the tunnels and Devices found under A-M in Thud! The rumour (more than that really) is there is going to be an Underground Railway. I believe that maps of the stations have already been constructed, although I don't know how official that is. :D

That sounds like a lot of fun potential. Stations at UU and the Drum could be interesting places to work :)
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm

I always liked Twoflower's imp camera - and the artist in residence complaining of running out of pink at the whorepits and shades of black at the Temple of Bel-shamaroth. :lol:

The Disorganiser is also a good one :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 pm

I would like a procrastinator. As a student I think it would come in very handy :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby sgt-Angua » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:03 pm

I'd like to second Dotsie's request for a procrastinator...... it would be great for work :-D

I quite like bloody stupid johnsons mail sorter with the new Pi
"The only person who shouts 'FORWARD Brave men!' Is the one with the only truly arrowproof armour on behind a very large rock!"
sgt-Angua

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:06 pm

I rather like the reaping machine in Reaper Man-- Now where's that three quarter Gripley?

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:45 pm

the shower in the nailed up room in the unseen uni :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 pm

Yes Hex & that Bathroom. :D
The Clacks too.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Return to The Broken Drum