Iain Banks

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mystmoon » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Danny B wrote: Finally, the author of a tiny series of novels that no-one has ever heard of, where a girl with a terminal lack of charisma gets stalked by a sparkly vampire 90 years her senior. Who still goes to high school. And chases sixteen year old girls. And breaks into their houses to watch them sleep. And destroys their self esteem with passive-aggresive comments, before carefully isolating them from their peer groups, just like abusive partners do. You probably haven't heard of it. :wink:

Send this to my twi-hard sister. Her reply? She isn't sixteen! I worry about her, I really do
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby bikkit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:52 am

:lol: you summed it up perfectly.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:50 am

mystmoon wrote:
Danny B wrote: Finally, the author of a tiny series of novels that no-one has ever heard of, where a girl with a terminal lack of charisma gets stalked by a sparkly vampire 90 years her senior. Who still goes to high school. And chases sixteen year old girls. And breaks into their houses to watch them sleep. And destroys their self esteem with passive-aggresive comments, before carefully isolating them from their peer groups, just like abusive partners do. You probably haven't heard of it. :wink:

Send this to my twi-hard sister. Her reply? She isn't sixteen! I worry about her, I really do

Especially as Danny's a guy! PMSL :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby bikkit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh god. Poor him.

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby mystmoon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:07 pm

No, she meant Bella isn't sixteen
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Antiq » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:18 pm

I loooovvve Iain M Banks!! I've read most of his books, both SciFi and standard. I prefer the sci-fi by far, and The Player of Games, The Algebraist and Feersum Endjin are probably my favourites.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby pip » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Found it hard to get into the scifi but love the other books.

The wasp factory and Song of Stone would be amongst my favourite books.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Wasp Factory, aargh! The scifi ones mentioned above are really good. But my favourite is Whit - Pooh read it, and said he liked it.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Beyond Birthday » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:33 pm

I have a hardback copy of Transition but I'm a little worried it might be preachy (you know, 9/11). I've had it for awhile now. Is it preachy? Also, how is Feersum Enjinn? That's the one I really want.
Beyond Birthday

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:45 pm

My favorite Banks book is The Business. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Antiq » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Beyond Birthday wrote:I have a hardback copy of Transition but I'm a little worried it might be preachy (you know, 9/11). I've had it for awhile now. Is it preachy? Also, how is Feersum Enjinn? That's the one I really want.

Excellent. You might take a couple of chapters of Bascule's style to get used to it - you'll see what I mean - but when you do it's great. He's the most endearing character I have come across in any of Banks' books. Banks doesn't really do endearing most of the time :lol:
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:50 am

Beyond Birthday wrote:I have a hardback copy of Transition but I'm a little worried it might be preachy (you know, 9/11).

Actually I've had it for a while myself, and haven't got round to it yet. Let me know how it goes :wink:

Feersum Endjin is good, this is the one with Bascule in it. If you can understand the title, you won't have too much trouble with the prose!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I was just irritated by Feersum Endjin the first time I read it but eventually came to sort of like it. I much prefer his other books especially The Player of Games and The Algebraist. Waiting for Surface Detail to come out in paperback
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Antiq » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:22 am

The Mad Collector wrote:I was just irritated by Feersum Endjin the first time I read it but eventually came to sort of like it. I much prefer his other books especially The Player of Games and The Algebraist. Waiting for Surface Detail to come out in paperback

I can understand that, but I'm so use to reading leet speak by now that I didn't find it too much trouble, I really enjoyed it in fact. I have to agree about The Algebraist, that was stunning!
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby pip » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 am

Antiq, with your love of Iain Banks and Frequenting Chapters did you happen to make the reading and signing session there earlier this year.
It was fantastic. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books