The book of lost things.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The book of lost things.

Postby Octa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 pm

I've just started said book, it is both sinister and amusing. I would recommend this for Terry Pratchett fans and fans of Lewis Carroll work. It has tones of the style of Frances hodgson brunetter (writer of the 'secret garden' and 'the little princess') in the fantasy style and could be seen as quite 'Nania'-ee.

Aimed more so at the teen audience, as some adults may find the fiction too juvenile. John Connolly writes the tail of a young boy suffering from the loss of his mother and the change in family life with a crooked twist.

It distorts the old fairy tales in both a disturbing and thoughtful way.

I am only on chapter 19 (X1X) so if any have read this before me please don't ruin the ending for me ^ ^
Kate

=^-^=
Octa

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm

I loved this book. When you've finished it you may not find it as juvenile as you think - but then I thought it was pretty sinister all the way through!
Dotsie

Postby communityfriend » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:56 am

Oh I really struggled with this book. I liked they way that some of the old fairy tales were brought forward and related back to the original tales that the Brothers Grimm collected - blood and guts included instead of the Disney style ones.

But I just couldn't click with the book. I just didn't connect with the characters. By the end of the book I was really quite happy that the last 3rd of the edition I had were book club reading notes - which I skimmed over before giving it away to my brother to have a bash at.

I have Every Dead Thing sat on my book shelf ready to read but as The Book of Lost Things was my first book by John Connolly it puts me off picking it up.
Hard boiled egg anyone?

www.communityfriend.co.uk
communityfriend

Postby Witch from Lancre » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:57 pm

I didn't find the book juvenile at all.
Witch from Lancre

Postby imperfectlynormal » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:10 pm

I really liked The Book of Lost Things. I did find it pretty sinister, one character in particular gave me the willies.

This won't give away the ending, as they end differently, but has anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth and noticed the similarities?
"Lord Vetinari won't stop at sarcasm. He might use" - Colon swallowed - "irony"..."He's probably going to be satirical, even," said Colon, morosely.
imperfectlynormal

Postby silverstreak » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:58 am

That book was going to be the next on my list,but I couldn't find the damned thing!
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:30 pm

It's probably behind your sofa cushions
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby silverstreak » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Dotsie wrote:It's probably behind your sofa cushions

Off course...It's always the last place you look.Don't you just hate that when it happens.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby WannabeAngua » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I thought The Book of Lost Things was rather creepy.... me like :)
Has anyone read The black angel?? Also quite good.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Return to Non-Discworld books