New french illustrator for Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:00 am

I like the brick-in-the sock on the Sourcery-cover! :lol: But they are both awsome, of couse :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby DaveC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!

The Sourcery one reminds me of the but in Die Hard 2 when Bruce flies up to the camera in the ejector seat. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby madam » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Magnificent
madam

Postby kemar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks a lot!
I was terribly frightened to do those two, as they were about the iconic characters of the discworld...
kemar

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:24 am

I have to say Kemar that The Luggage is BRILLIANT. The best one I've seen by a long shot - I love how you've got the face in the grain most of all :lol:

The other characters are inevitably influenced by previous work and the SKY films, so I'm not as truly impressed with them as they can't really be wholly original, but again Cohen - I loved him from the moment his comfy rubber ring was hung from his saddle and it's because of the indomitable irascibility of the character despite all his geriatric ailments and your Cohen has it in bucketloads! :D

All the great Discworld artists bring something fresh and visceral to the genre and you my friend seem to be able to capture the soul of the characters - that expression on Cohen's face, glinting out of his one eye says it all! Image
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby kemar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks Jan Van Quirm, I've never seen a discworld based film at all, but I think sir Pratchett is very good at describing characters, especially when those can be found in several books.
kemar

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 pm

I don't think Terry's that good at the physical descriptions so much as getting across attitude and the character of the characters (if you know what I mean? :P He does do descriptions more in the early books than the later ones so I can see how you were so anxious about painting these two covers. :wink: But that's why painting artists (rather than cinematic ones/casting directors ones :roll: ) very often strike a note far more successfully than the film of the book (most people on here don't like David Jason as Rincewind 'cos he's too short, fat and old, but he's pretty good as Albert in Hogfather :D ).

So I did wonder about the films being an influence (I haven't really seen any of them either) but for most non-artist fans it's the nearest thing to bringing the books to life. Really though, I meant to compare your work to Paul Kidby's and Josh Kirby's who have (had) different approachs and your work seems to bridge the two general styles in some ways with the Kirby-style wildness of the characters and the locations as well as 'the look' of Kidby which is pretty accurate to the novels but (I think) too sedate/static. I really can't find anything not to like about the LF but a very small 'carp' with Sourcery...

It's really just the placement of Nigel and Conina more than the poses - they're just too horizontal? Conina's stance does look more 'posed' than Nigel but with them being fairly close together the strong lines of her leg and his sword look a little too studied? That's the one thing that looks a little off - the rest of the fiery spiral effect is wonderful and I hope the titles don't completely blot out the elemental face by Rincewind's foot! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:

I don't think Terry's that good at the physical descriptions so much as getting across attitude and the character of the characters (if you know what I mean

I agree with you there. Terry's writing of characters thought processes and dialogue is the main reason DW is so addictive (and very re-readable). However when describing a scene or environment he can sometimes be a tad repetitive. When he first described darkness as not just an absence of light but true dark, I loved the turn of phrase. But after a few books I just thought, yes okay, we get it - no light, very very dark!

There again I suppose it's not a problem if you haven't read all the books, but being as they are so good reading them all is inevitable!
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby kemar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:32 pm

You both are right, and that's what I meant by "good at describing".
Jan van quirm, you're right about Nigel and Conina too, I may have needed some few days more for the deadline to polish that, for sure.
I see each character in Pratchett world having first an "attitude" and a "move". (for example, Vimes is walking (and smoking), as most of the watch, and Rincewind is running/rushing and yelling at the same time), if we (as illustrators) just add the proper accessories, the discworld is so well defined that everyone that knows it can recognize the characters quite easily. For example, there's nothing special in Rincewind face, as I pictured it, but giving him a weird pose, his wizzard's stuff and half a brick in a sock, and there's no doubt at all.
Considering the vast amount of characters, this is quite something typical of the discworld compared to many other books (try to do the same things with other books, and that's rare)
And I must add that I love the work that has been done previously by Kirby, and Kidby. :)
kemar

Postby DaveC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Just spotted the Maskerade cover

It's really good and uses the depth of field of opera in a very different way to Kirby.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:09 pm

I think we should make a gallery somehow to compare all the covers on the same page.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Oooooh, I like it! Greebo looks terrifying. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Oooooh, I like it! Greebo looks terrifying. :D

:lol: Actually I think Greebo looks like those guard dog thingies(who were really Sigourney and Rick Moranis - near the end of the vid) in Ghostbusters 1 :twisted:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm

oh my god AMAZING PICTURES they are ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS Image
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Yes that is a very atmospheric drawing. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels