RIP Henryk Górecki

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

RIP Henryk Górecki

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 am

I'm not sure if this death is going to mean much to anyone else, but it saddened me when I heard it today. :(

Henryk Górecki was a Polish composer, probably most famous his Symphony No.3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), which was a huge hit with all sorts of people - even those not into Classical music.

Oddly enough, yesterday I was looking on YouTube for his music and then today I heard that he'd died.

Here's the 3rd movement of the Third Symphony sung by Dawn Upshaw - just beautiful! :(
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby michelanCello » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 am

Oh, no! He died? :shock:

RIP, Henryk... :cry: may your music live forever...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:15 pm

He'd written and was due to conduct the debute of his 4th Symphony in London this year. Sadly it was put off due to his ill health. :(
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Not too familiar with his work but it sounds sublime. At least he did finish his 4th symphony which must have been a comfort to leave a legacy like that. :)

RIP Henryk :(
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 am

Actually, people may know this piece by the group, Lamb. It's called 'Gorecki' and was based on Gorecki's 3rd Symphony. It was also used in an episode of Torchwood. :)

I'm currently listening to the local, Tucson Classical music radio station and they are playing the 2nd movement of the Symphony No.3 at this moment.
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Return to TV, film, theatre