Jack in the office...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:48 pm

In fact Ibbotson and Rowling are splendid examples of convergent evolution! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:In fact Ibbotson and Rowling are splendid examples of convergent evolution! :lol:

LMAO :lol: :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 am

pip wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:Did mine on trains. Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.

Man, that just reminded me of the Robert Rankin book I'm reading, "Raiders of the Lost Car Park," where Prince Charles is a side character. And he sits all day thinking about trains. Even when he's shagging a beautiful personal assistant.

:D

I don't get this thing with trains you Brits have. I don't get it. Why don't you take up a proper American-style obsession, like tweeting, fantasy football, overclocking your PC, and building a meth lab?

:)

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby pip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:27 am

raisindot wrote:
pip wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:Did mine on trains. Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.

Man, that just reminded me of the Robert Rankin book I'm reading, "Raiders of the Lost Car Park," where Prince Charles is a side character. And he sits all day thinking about trains. Even when he's shagging a beautiful personal assistant.

:D

I don't get this thing with trains you Brits have. I don't get it. Why don't you take up a proper American-style obsession, like tweeting, fantasy football, overclocking your PC, and building a meth lab?

:)

J-I-B

Major error Raisindot.
I am most definitely not British.
Like the americans we kicked em out and have been enjoying independence for quite a while. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:24 am

Then you come over here and tarmac our drives whether we want it done or not!!!

God, I haven't seen/heard of that for years. Wonder if it still goes on?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:31 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Then you come over here and tarmac our drives whether we want it done or not!!!

I'll take the job and throw in a dog with it. :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 am

You'd throw a dog in hot tarmac.

You beast, you!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:You'd throw a dog in hot tarmac.

You beast, you!!

After a eat the hamster though :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby deldaisy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Dotsie wrote:
pip wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Have a look at Eva Ibbotson's The Secret of Platform 11 (it was published first). You'll have deja vu all over again :wink:

The plot is formulaic and is similar in style to a few books i'm sure.

A boy is kidnapped as a baby and grows up in a regular family, who have one other son, and the whole family bullies him & makes him sleep in the basement. He has no idea that he's actually the heir to the throne of a magical kingdom, which can only be accessed though a secret entrance on platform 11 of King's Cross. He is eventually rescued by a witch and a giant (and a third one, I forget who), who have been sent by the King to fetch him.

It's a bit more than similar, but I read an interview with Eva Ibbotson where she said she didn't mind & was quite flattered. So that's alright then.

Oh my Isn't Eva Ibbotson casual about plagarism. Thanks for that Dotsie.
deldaisy

Postby deldaisy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Then you come over here and tarmac our drives whether we want it done or not!!!

Don't panic Bouncy. They are all over here now. Yeah and THIS time I am sticking with my policy: I am NOT dating an Irishman ever again.
deldaisy

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books