Merlin

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Merlin to return for a fourth series

From the BBC web site
Saturday night family hit Merlin is to return for a fourth series, BBC One bosses have announced. The third series of the retelling of the Arthurian legend has regularly attracted average audiences of more than six million. "Merlin continues to perform outstandingly well against The X Factor," the BBC's controller of drama commissioning Ben Stephenson said. The show stars Colin Morgan, John Hurt, Richard Wilson and Anthony Head. The BBC said the show had been sold to 180 countries. The third series, which ends on 4 December, has featured guest appearances from actors including Warwick Davies and Miriam Margolyes. Filming for the new 10-part series will begin in March.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:57 pm

"Merlin continues to perform outstandingly well against The X Factor"

And there guys 'n' gals is the reason - anything's better than watching the Simon Cowell ego show! :lol:

Except when we had a visitor down who's obsessional about the silly circus I have never watched one full programme of the X Factor since it started and never felt the need to, except to marvel at the supposed lost 'talent' of the failed contestants during daytime magazine shows the week after they're so tragically kicked off... :twisted:

The one episode I did watch had Wagner in it - what an all-round miraculous entertainer! :shock: PMSL :lol:

Actually I'm being unfair - I would willingly watch Merlin even if they didn't have the X factor on at the same time. Now that Morganna's secret out in the open it's also starting to get closer to the original mythology too. But Merlin's still waaaaay too young in there! But he's a decent actor and I like the comic touches they put in so it's all good :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:26 pm

We have X-factor too, but I don't watch it...

But hey, MERLIN CONTINUES!! :D :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby StevenF50 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:04 pm

I have watched all the Merlin's. The series is great. I hope they make a series about when Arthur becomes king! Morgarna is really evil, why can't Uther and Arthur notice it?? I thought I was the only fan :D
StevenF50

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 pm

You and about 7 million others, Steven!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Merlin the Movie.......... set in modern day.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ ... orks-43957

Oh dear.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Actually there's nothing new in the idea of a contemporary Merlin - T.H. White's spoofy Arthurian series that inspired Disney's Sword in the Stone classic animation had the old guy living backwards in time and so his Merlin wasn't magic so much as technologically astute. :lol:

Then there's Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee at the Court of King Arthur which has the ancient/modern contrast as well :wink:

Actually it's been a while since I read T.H. White's Arthur books - they really are terrific books and I think Terry and he would have got on like a mason in flambay as Nanny would say :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

One of my favourite programmes

Postby Manxnancy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:15 pm

The series takes a bit of an artistic license with regard to Arthurian legend, but it is really good fun and quite comical at times. I honestly love the series and the casting is good as well. I am delighted and often surprised with the new characters and the all-star guests playing heros or villains each week, even John Hurt as a dragon - gotta love that! :o
"Everything in this book may be wrong." - RB
Just like everything else in life.
Manxnancy

Postby michelanCello » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, Manxnancy! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby unseenu » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Merlin is one of my favourite shows atm,i recently learnt viking futhark runes which allows me to translate a lot of the runes that appear in the show.I feel really geeky for pausing the manticor episode and spending an hour interpretting the book on manticors.
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby Spiggle » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Hey, just an idea; does anyone else have some Merlin episodes on itunes? I've got mort d'arthur. Not sure what series that is, sorry, but I'm sure there must be some method for sharing.
Spiggle

Postby Tiffany » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:59 pm

I have been looking at photo's of the next episode & came across this one...

Gorgeous, gorgeous grey horse, 8) (I want him!) but I can't help thinking that a servant would not have had such a proud steed, nor would Gwen be riding astride. It was a deffinate 'nono' in those days for women to ride astride, they had to ride side saddle, even in fairly recent times, due to them having to be virginal. :oops:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:25 pm

I didn't know yoou could knit chainmail. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:26 pm

To put the record straight, apparently ladies in medieval times did ride astride, the side saddle wasn't invented until the 16th century :oops: They obviously weren't too bothered about ladies virtues before that time then. :oops: :lol:
I still don't think she would have had such a well bred horse though.
And she shouldn't have him, he should be mine! :evil: Envious me! Course not! :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Conforumist » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 am

I have been disappointed with the episodes of late. It seems like every week is the same thing. The kingdom a accosted by magic and Uther is too dumb to wake up to the fact that, you need magic, to fight magic.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre