Jack in the office...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Which is odd, since you were studying mathematics at the time! :wink:

Did mine on trains . Really makes me sound like a proper nerd.

Got a first though :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Which is odd, since you were studying mathematics at the time! :wink:

Knew something didn't add up there!
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Doh. :roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:26 pm

As always the books are better than the films so you ought enjoy them I think :D

The Prime Minister (definitely Tony Blair) is in it for about 5 pages so imagine any recent male PM you like, but Major was way before the book and any timeline was even written :wink:

The writing's pretty good, particuarly the dialogue and the magical names and places and spell-associated objects, but it's the characterisation that made me want to scream as it tends to be heaven or hell - luckily in the films the casting was absolutely spot on in most cases, so that carried it pretty well if you were reading the books after the films (which I was up until The Prisoner of Askaban). If it's book first then seeing the film will help a lot with reading the later characters, but overall because its focussing on Harry most of the time it's rather like Frodo in LotR and after about Bk 3 you want to shake him and scream FFS lighten up a bit you self-obsessed anal little nerd! :twisted: Ditto Ron - Hermione kind of improves 'cos you want to scream that at her within about a chapter of her being introduced, but she mellows and is quite likeable in a Rincewind sort of way after a while - for being the voice of reason mostly :P

What I dislike about JKR is that she's definitely standing on the shoulders of giants and there's very little in the fantasy line that's new - she's great at giving things a new spin on in terms of updating and making things a little 'edgier' - the later books are definitely darker and not really for little kids as a rule I'd say. Hogwarts is terrific fun but after a while I got the distinct feeling I was reading about a magical Mallory Towers or St. Clares (Enid Blyton boarding school books to the young and/or uninitiated :roll: ). They're definitely fun to read and not too bad on the re-reading front (I've still got to get the last 2 books though and I'm not into that except for Terry for some reason these days) but to some extent she's over-rated I think because the books lack depth and were definitely written for children and kind of growing up with them in some respects. In that she does deserve the success she's had in making a whole generation want to read fiction, let alone fantasy. But she's no Terry at the end of the day, really because she's got far too much appeal and popularity so the books are essentially too 'easy' for people who want to be swept up by more than the admittedly amusing smoke and mirrors. :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm

pip wrote:

Well done but didn't it make your handwriting a bit shakey tho? :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby pip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:As always the books are better than the films so you ought enjoy them I think :D

The Prime Minister (definitely Tony Blair) is in it for about 5 pages so imagine any recent male PM you like, but Major was way before the book and any timeline was even written :wink:

Definitely Major as the PM time as the year is 1996 based on Harrys age etc. rememeber the books are set a few years before there publishing dates. Harry was born in 1980 . Sorry for the geek moment . :oops:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 am

Penfold wrote:
pip wrote:

Well done but didn't it make your handwriting a bit shakey tho? :wink:

Especially considering how old our trains are. :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:12 pm

pip wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:As always the books are better than the films so you ought enjoy them I think :D

Definitely Major as the PM time as the year is 1996 based on Harrys age etc. rememeber the books are set a few years before there publishing dates. Harry was born in 1980 . Sorry for the geek moment . :oops:

Major was still PM in 1996 - Bloody hell!!!!! :lol:

Well there you go - but Labour got into government in May 1997 so it was Blair when they were making film... :roll: The PM character (such as it is) is nothing like JM, so I'd say that's a publisher's edit requirement for reprints as all JM had going for him was his Spitting Image puppet - anyway it's fiction so you have to use your imagination :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
pip wrote:

Well there you go - but Labour got into government in May 1997 so it was Blair when they were making film... :roll: The PM character (such as it is) is nothing like JM, so I'd say that's a publisher's edit requirement for reprints as all JM had going for him was his Spitting Image puppet - anyway it's fiction so you have to use your imagination :wink:

One of JK Rowlings biggest weaknesses was keeping track of timelines so its quite propable she had tony in mind to be honest but i just wanted to nerd out a little. Did love the ol grey man in spitting image all right. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Nerd outs are good for the soul :wink: Did you know I'm a bit of a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien? :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:29 pm

I must admit that I thought all the characters in the films were quite true to how I imagined them to be, apart from the dementors, and I thought Peter O'Toole was a better Dumbledor. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby DaveC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:32 pm

pip wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:
pip wrote:

One of JK Rowlings biggest weaknesses was keeping track of timelines so its quite propable she had tony in mind to be honest but i just wanted to nerd out a little. Did love the ol grey man in spitting image all right. :D

I remember someone mentioning Playstation in either Philosopher's or Chamber and its meant to be set way before then in the book!

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby DaveC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:35 pm

poohcarrot wrote:I must admit that I thought all the characters in the films were quite true to how I imagined them to be, apart from the dementors, and I thought Peter O'Toole was a better Dumbledor. :P

That would have been interesting - I reckon Gambon is way better than Harris but I always feel bad saying he should've been cast originally

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Harris/O'Toole whatever. :oops:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:40 pm

O'Toole's too gaunt - although Dumbles was supposed to be very tall.

Michael Gambon was better and more avuncular as Harry got closer to him. Richard Harris certainly looked the part. but sadly I think he was far too vague and slooooooow or too mawkish like his Caesar in Gladiator :roll:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books