Spellcheckers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:02 am

I just typed 'Greebo' into Word and it suggested "Reebok". :lol: Somehow that struck me as really funny.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:05 am

A sad indictment against our consumer society! :shock:

You'd have thought, even if it couldn't come up with our fave kitty, it would at least mention greasy bikers ahead of an over-priced plimsoll *mutters* :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Is Greebo a type of trainer then, as well as a cat? :?
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:14 pm

no its not tif :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby rissoles » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:10 am

I use the OED tenth edition, Visual Thesarus 3 and the MS Word Spell checker.

Between the three I like to think that I are infallible.

I write books of a fantastic nature. This usually means that many words are made up, this in turn requires that MS Word be "updated" to add all the "new" words and their variants (including apostrophes and capitals etc) be added. And then you upgrade from Word 2003 to 2007 and have to start again because you cannot import your existing dictionaries...irriots.

This was also true between the 97 and 2003 versions so I am pretty sick of it by now.
rissoles

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:27 am

:lol: That was my own feelings! It's taken me ages to create my personal dictonary and ten I got a new computer. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 am

Yesterday I was told my custom dictionary was full :? And it wouldn't let me ignore the rest ("You can not ignore any more words"). Cheeky bloody thing! :lol:

As a scientist I do add a lot of words, but I didn't think there were that many.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Being a Tolkien Elf elsewhere I use names and places that Word doesn't like all the time - as for Sindarin (principal elf language of ME) :roll:

Because of that I don't use Word too much now for prepping forum stuff except for long lore or fanfic posts. I have now given up doing full doc spell or grammar checks altoghether as they're far too vague or far too pedantic in illogical bursts and now just pick up whether the wiggly red or green lines are correct in telling me something's incorrect as I go - the red wiggly lines I do take more notice of, although I have my own internal UK English filter (my brain of course) switched to 'ignore once/all' almost constantly (as my default language selector is determined to revert to US English whenever possible) so I've never got to the point where I've filled my custom dictionary.... :evil:

A pox on Microsoft I say! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 pm

Whenever I'm staying at my friend's house in the Netherlands, her computer quickly learns that I'm typing English rather than Dutch and stops underlining every word. It doesn't try to correct my spelling or grammar though, so it's a good thing that I'm a good speller in the first place. :P
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:47 pm

*goes to reset her language default to Dutch* :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum