God, the Devil and the US President.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:09 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Penfold wrote:I should have written that as 'De Niro'; now edited to make it look like Tony is the one who can't spell. :wink: (sorry Tony :P )
And I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids! :evil: :wink:

:lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:19 pm

From a Yank's point of view:

God=George Burns in "Oh, God!" (Not a great movie, but Burns really nailed the part).

Devil=Tie between Peter Cook in the original "Bedazzled" and the Devil in "South Park: Uncut."

US President: Peter Sellers in "Dr. Strangelove" ("Gentlemen, we can't fight in here--this is the war room!")

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 pm

raisindot wrote:From a Yank's point of view:

God=George Burns in "Oh, God!" (Not a great movie, but Burns really nailed the part).

Devil=Tie between Peter Cook in the original "Bedazzled" and the Devil in "South Park: Uncut."

US President: Peter Sellers in "Dr. Strangelove" ("Gentlemen, we can't fight in here--this is the war room!")

J-I-B

So from a Yank's point of view, you pick two Brits and from a Brit point of view I pick three Yanks! Go figure! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:10 pm

poohcarrot wrote:
raisindot wrote:So from a Yank's point of view, you pick two Brits and from a Brit point of view I pick three Yanks! Go figure! :lol:

Given that most of your Brits have been choosing mostly Americans for these parts, I'd say it's simply a balance of actor.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Willem » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:30 am

I kinda liked Alanis as God :) She was playful. But I understand that you don't want a woman to play God (Yanking your chain Dotsie - but I'm running for the hills now just to be safe from your wrath).

Pacino's devil was good, in the Devil's Advocate.

Bill Pullman in Independance Day. Now there's a president!
Willem

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:39 am

Willem wrote:I kinda liked Alanis as God :) She was playful. But I understand that you don't want a woman to play God (Yanking your chain Dotsie - but I'm running for the hills now just to be safe from your wrath).

If there was a god, she wouldn't want to be played by a whiney adolescent :P

raisindot wrote:Given that most of your Brits have been choosing mostly Americans for these parts, I'd say it's simply a balance of actor.

When we send you an actor, they end up playing a baddie or the main character in a soon-to-be-cancelled show.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Dotsie wrote:When we send you an actor, they end up playing a baddie or the main character in a soon-to-be-cancelled show.

Lies and slander, slander and lies! Hugh Laurie has had a longer career on "House" than he ever did on any of the British shows he was on. Patrick Stewart lasted 7 seasons on "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Joan Collins vamped up "Dynasty" for ages. Jane Seymour starred in whatever the horrible show she was on for at least five seasons. The guy who played Mr. Belvediere--that show lasted far longer than necessary. And the woman who plays the almost-wife on "Californication"--that show's going into its fourth season. And what about Anna Paquin and the guy who plays her brother on "True Blood"? Oh wait--they're New Zealanders.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Willem » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:47 pm

The hundreds of examples you're giving are all the exceptions that prove the rule! :)
Willem

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Dotsie wrote:When we send you an actor, they end up playing a baddie or the main character in a soon-to-be-cancelled show.

Give it time, young Jib :P There's nothing you like better than an evil Brit, admit it!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby deldaisy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Dotsie wrote:

Give it time, young Jib :P There's nothing you like better than an evil Brit, admit it!

Yah Dotsie... thats cause the Brits are so damn polite even as a Devil
"Ah excuse me... would you mind awefully stepping into the inferno... yes at the rear... no pushing people, no pushing... yes just one step more... spendid! Not too warm for you ?.. no? perfect... NEXT!
lol just had visions of Rowan Atkinson doing his devil routine.
deldaisy

Postby deldaisy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Rowan Atkinson as the Devil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGrQMD6Uqc
deldaisy

Postby michelanCello » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:34 pm

deldaisy wrote:Rowan Atkinson as the Devil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGrQMD6Uqc

:lol:
Hilarious!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Michael Palin would make the perfect Brit devil.

"Please follow me this way to the 8th circle. Good, good, here we are. Now, while you're filling out these ten trillion registration forms in triplicate would you mind just stepping into this pool of fire and brimstone, which, I'm afraid may be a little bit hot but I'm sure in a little while you'll get used to your skin burning off throughout all eternity. If you have questions at all, please don't hestitate to ask one of those demons who will be very happy to come over and shove the end of their pitchforks up your bum."

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:55 pm

I loved Peter Cook as the Devil in Bedazzled (1967). :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pandasthumb » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 am

I have always thought that it was quite an interesting comment that often when the Devil appears in the Simpsons it is Ned Flanders. Possibly with a pitchfork-erooney.

I remember watching 'Warlock' when I was young and being quite disturbed by it - can't think of the actor's name- but he was youngish and blonde. Which could be an accurate interpretation of Lucifer, son of the Morning.

I don't know about God but I was very impressed with Anthony Hopkin's portrayal of Nixon. Quite frankly, you would have to be impressed to have stayed in the cinema for the entire movie. :)
pandasthumb

Previous

Return to TV, film, theatre