How to blow a grand.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How to blow a grand.

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 pm

As I said on a previous post, I had 1000 pounds to invest in TP books and memorabilia
The pound is currently 50% lower to the Japanese Yen than it was a year ago. A reasonable price for one pound is 200 yen. It is now 128 yen. In real terms these purchases only cost me 600 pounds.

Did I get a bargain?

Once more with footnotes
The complete set of Diaries including the 2002 Diary signed by TP and Paul Kidby
The Bromiliad Trilogy First edition HBs
The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy first edition HBs
Nation ARC
Mort Comic First edition signed by TP and Graham Higgins
Hogfather signed First Edition
Interesting Times signed First edition
The four Discworld Maps signed
Colour of magic facsimile signed
Light Fantastic facsimile signed
Equal Rites FE HB BC (only 8 pounds!)
Signed Paul Kidby Rincewind and Death prints

This is the kickstart to my collection and will go with the well-thumbed 18 first editions I already have.

I'm afraid I've become an addict!! (but I won't touch the stamps!)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Sounds like you did very well to me. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:40 pm

That's looks to be a great spending spree my friend! :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:27 pm

If you can get enjoyment from all these things and they're not just for investment purposes, then it doesn't really matter what you spend*. So off you go & enjoy your new purchases! :D

* I use this argument for buying shoes. By the sounds of it, Chris uses it for buying books. I suspect our other halves don't fall for it at all :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm

they do sometimes :lol:
got a new excuse now , i tell her ive accidently clicked the one click purchase button on amazon :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Brilliant selection Poohcarrot. You did do well there. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:54 am

Because I live in the land of the rising sun, until a month ago I'd never heard of Once more with footnotes, the Diaries or the Mort comic, so my purchases were biased towards things that I really want to read and which will give me hours of pleasure.

I also want some things to make my classroom look nice so the maps and prints will come in handy.

I spent 150 pounds at the Paul Kidby site (well recommended!) and got the signed maps (12.99 each) the Colour of magic facsimile (with two Dust jackets) and the Light Fantastic facsimile, both signed (40 pounds each). On ebay someone was trying to sell the Colour of magic signed facsimile for 250 pounds!

The only problem is that postage to Japan can be quite expensive! The complete set of diaries cost 50 pounds to post! They were my most expensive purchase costing 40 pounds each, but ebay prices can be up to 120 pounds for an early one, so the 2002 double signed should be an excellent investment.

Two years from now when the pound has risen to it's proper value I might consider re-selling them, but probably not because I'm hooked!

PS I posted part 1-4 of a story I wrote about Japan on the Your writings thread in the Games section. Tony gave me a nice comment, but if anyone wants to post some honest criticism, please feel free, I can take it.
(BTW I'm not implying that Tony's criticism was not honest!)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:34 am

There seems to have been some problems opening that thread, so maybe people missed it. Hopefully you can get to the story here. Do have a look at it. It's well worth reading. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:14 am

In 1983 the Colour of Magic was published in the UK for the first time. It is extremely rare. Is a first edition 1983 Colour of Magic US Bookclub copy with same DJ any good?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 am

well from a completeist collector then yes you want one of them but monitary theyre not worth very much, if you go for the US 1st of com thats going to sting you in the region of £100 but sometimes alot less its down to the luck of the draw
The_Discworldaholic

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:20 am

Ta!
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:43 am

My babies!

-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:28 am

*Is GREEN with envy" :D
Tonyblack

Postby cols » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:39 am

Tonyblack wrote:*Is GREEN with envy" :D

me too!
Take good care of those babies poohbcarrot.
cols

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 am

shame your missing the 1996 diary :)
The_Discworldaholic

Next

Return to The Broken Drum