25%
Don't like it
2%
Hate it
4%

Total votes : 53

Colour of Magic - poll

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 pm

So how do you feel about the Colour of Magic?

I like it! :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby pip » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Have to agree with Pooh.
Like it, Don't love it.
Still worth a read :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby michelanCello » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:57 pm

I'd say it's OK... Not as a first DW read, but when you know TP's style a bit better... I hesitated between "liked it" and "OK", but since "Love it" is the highest you can get, I sticked with OK...

('cause Small Gods (and many others) I do love, there are some books I liked, and comared to them, CoM is OK...)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tiffany » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Same here, like it.
I love Equal Rites though. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:15 pm

I like it! :P Always have.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:29 pm

It's an age thing I think - if you were a fantasy enthusiast before CoM then it was literally a breath of fresh air in comparison to other author's work (and not in a Harry Potter sense as back then Fantasy was way serious and Tolkien ruled). I loved it then and I still like it a lot and in some ways it's a purer Discworld or a more raw and unformed one where humour is perhaps more studied.

I voted 'love it' in honour of it being the way I discovered both Terry and Discworld :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby michelanCello » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:It's an age thing I think - if you were a fantasy enthusiast before CoM then it was literally a breath of fresh air in comparison to other author's work (and not in a Harry Potter sense as back then Fantasy was way serious and Tolkien ruled). I loved it then and I still like it a lot and in some ways it's a purer Discworld or a more raw and unformed one where humour is perhaps more studied.

I voted 'love it' in honour of it being the way I discovered both Terry and Discworld :D

Sentimental value, eh? :wink:

Maybe that's why I like Small Gods so much... that was my first DW book...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:37 pm

When I first read it, I was blown away. It was enough to get me to read all the rest. But I can't seem to get into it now, which is a shame because the one-liners were hilarious!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Hate it.

Well, someone had to do it. Might as well be me.

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm

It's OK but no better than that, the jokes are strained to make the parodies of things that were almost self-parodies in themselves, I advise newcomers to the series to avoid it, LF and ER and start with Mort so that they won't get the wrong impression of the rest of the series.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:15 pm

I like it, Not my favourite but it's the first Discworld novel and introduced Rincewind! :D
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby mspanners » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:40 pm

LOVE IT!
mspanners

Postby LifeChild » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:38 pm

I like it, it got me into the series and gave me a few laughs. I'm one of those people who can't read a series out of sync though, I knew that was the first one so I had to start there and go in order, and i'm glad i've read them all in order so I can see the characters progress but at the same time I think if I were recommending TP to someone else I don't think i'd have them start with the first few, the style definitely changes and gets better later on.
LifeChild

Postby DaveC » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:59 pm

LifeChild wrote:I like it, it got me into the series and gave me a few laughs. I'm one of those people who can't read a series out of sync though, I knew that was the first one so I had to start there and go in order, and i'm glad i've read them all in order so I can see the characters progress but at the same time I think if I were recommending TP to someone else I don't think i'd have them start with the first few, the style definitely changes and gets better later on.

I concur, still would reccoment the right order, though
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:53 pm

I loved it because when I read it there was not a lot like it at the time, although it is nowhere near his best it was the parody of Ffarhd and the Grey Mouser who did it for me, as soon as I read that. I liken that paragraph to the one in the Hobbit (riddles in the dark) where Bilbo is way down hidding from the Goblins and meets Golem who comes out with the line "what's it got in pocketses we hates it my precious " well thats the jist of it. My favorite bit of the book that was. :)
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Discworld novels