I'm away... tomorrow.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby carllota » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Tractors live forever mobile phones die all the time!
I have 3G and it is not good but i'v signed a 12month contract so have to stick with it until i can go back to broadband.
I know this thread was started so jason could say he was away but
I'M GOING AWAY TOMOROW.
not going to devon thou sniff sniff
going to ROME in Italy
jumps up and down
ouch hit my head on the ceiling
dont have a laptop so cant post after today for a few day but i'm sure there will be lots to read by the time i get back hehe
If the number of mad people out number the sane people who is to say who is mad?
carllota

Postby carllota » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:08 pm

sorry didnt mean to post that twice but i got and error and thought it hadn't been posted so did it again oooppps
If the number of mad people out number the sane people who is to say who is mad?
carllota

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:34 pm

That's ok - it seems to be a fault with the board. If you post and get that message, the post has (probably) gone through. Just click on the link that says: Terry Pratchett Forum Index and that will get you back to the forum. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 pm

OK, I am back from the holiday home from hell. I am sure some people like having all sorts of for want of a better word crap on their walls but I'm not convinced!

In our bedroom for example on the walls were, a guitar, a suite-case, a couple of old tin baths, some fishing baskets, a couple of bouys, many toy boats, empty bottles in display cases a massive lighthouse bedside lamp (that didn't work) and many other items I have tried to forget about.

It looked like a really badly themed pub. Which is a real shame because the building itself was a really nice barn conversion.

We had problems with the shower which leaked badly into the living room with water going all over the wall lights! We abandoned the showed and had to make do with baths. Which is fine apart from my wife who is six months pregnant finding it almost impossible to get in and out of the bath.

It was nice to get away from work but it was the worse holiday cottage I have ever stayed in.

Getting to it was fun as well, some of those Devon roads are tiny. We had to enter via a B road which was about 7 foot wide (bushes were scraping the wing mirrors on both sides of our normal sized car) and about 1 in 4 steep at places. The car would only climb it in 2nd gear if I got a good run at it - and more often than not I had to revert to first gear to get up the hill.

I'm glad to be back!
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby LadyL » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:36 pm

Welcome back Jason :D

Seems you had a most memorable holiday
at least you can tell your grandchildren about :wink:

Did you take any pics?
LadyL

Postby Jarmara » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Oh dear! We'll be braving Devon 'roads' ourselves in a week's time.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Good to have you back Jason - so sorry it was so awful. :(
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:51 pm

It was a nice break and we only spent the evenings in the house. We spent most days out and about.

I personally had one really bad day but the rest were good fun.

On the day mentioned - we got petrol and Lisa suggested I get chocolate for everyone. So I get two Dairy Milks, on Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut and one pack of Smarties for my youngest. When I got back to the car the youngest decided that she actually wanted chocolate so I had to give up my chocolate and have the Smarties instead.

We drove into Dartmoor to a place called DartMeet where we have been many times before and love and as it was around mid-day we decided to have lunch first. We popped into the cafe / shop and ordered some snacks. Lisa ordered the smoked salmon thinking it was poached salmon and I order a bacon roll. When the food was brought out and Lisa realised that the smoked Salmon was raw and that she isn't allowed to ear raw fish being pregnant decided she couldn't eat it. So I gave my bacon roll to her and attempted the Salmon sandwich. I'm not a great fan of Salmon and this was quite gelatinous. I managed about half before felling rather queasy and so gave up.

After lunch we decided to walk on the rocks in the river (there are loads of boulders space around the river and it is fun to use them as stepping stones). I was raining lightly but nothing that would spoil the fun. We got the girls into their swimming costumes and purchased a fishing net to see if they could catch any fish. My youngest decided that she wanted to traverse the stones so I went with her. We got a small way out an lost my footing because I was trying to keep her balanced. My left foot ended up in about a foot of water (I was wearing Jeans / Socks and Trainers) at the time and smashed my right leg and foot on the rock trying to steady myself. The youngest no longer having my support also toppled into the water. I promptly rescued her and passed her back to Lisa who was standing on the side laughing and taking pictures! The youngest was screaming because she got wet and then my eldest pointed out that I was no longer wearing my glasses! The next 20 minutes were a panicked search of the river bed looking for my spectacles. Even though the water was clear the fast movement made them impossible to see. Eventually though shear luck and determination I plunged my now very cold and wet hand into the water and found them.

So after that we dried the girls off and heading back into Newton Abbott where there is a large Tesco store. I purchased some new socks and we got a few supplies. While in the store my eldest turned round with a bottle of water in her hand and managed to clobber me on the head with it.

I was glad to get back to the house that night in one piece. Once back I was able to remove the wet clothes and change into some nice dry ones. It took three days for my trainers to dry out.

I think this will certainly be one of the holidays we all remember. It will also be the last holiday we have as a foursome. Next time we have a family holiday their will be five of us.
Last edited by Jason on Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:59 pm

:lol: Sounds like fun! :lol:

I had something like that happen with my glasses - only it was just the one lens that popped out. It was sheer chance that I managed to find it by touch as it was invisible in the water.
Tonyblack

Postby SapphireForgeCat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Lol what a day! Btw, congratulations on your new child!
..Sig by Shadowwolf
SapphireForgeCat

Postby Watchman44 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:24 pm

Moderator - Jason wrote:
Getting to it was fun as well, some of those Devon roads are tiny. We had to enter via a B road which was about 7 foot wide (bushes were scraping the wing mirrors on both sides of our normal sized car) and about 1 in 4 steep at places. The car would only climb it in 2nd gear if I got a good run at it - and more often than not I had to revert to first gear to get up the hill.

For those of us that live here 7 feet is almost a motorway :lol:

It's only really narrow when you have to fold your mirrors and the road has a grass strip along the middle :shock:
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby demdike » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:14 pm

Can empathise there Jason, a pair of my glasses are still at the bottom of the Severn or possibly Bristol channel by now, and a pair of Jeffs are off the Welsh coast :D
I have flying monkeys, don't make me use them
demdike

Postby Katariina » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:57 pm

At least you got back home in one piece. :lol:
If Pinocchio says "My nose will grow now", what happens?
Katariina

Postby silverstreak » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:04 pm

demdike wrote:Can empathise there Jason, a pair of my glasses are still at the bottom of the Severn or possibly Bristol channel by now, and a pair of Jeffs are off the Welsh coast :D
Sorry demdike I've had a look and can't find them for you.
silverstreak

Postby carllota » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:22 pm

LOL poor Jason what a hol to remember! I had a fab time in italy very hot thou and alot of walking as we were only there 4 days! I walked up the dome at the vatican with is 320 steps if you take the lift up the 1st 3 floors was a fantstic view and they have a shop up there as well! I glad I didnt go to devon hehe but we did nearly get arrested by the italian police! a very rude manager of a resturant wouldnt let us pay for just the 2 meals we eat, we meet up with my uncle so there were 4 meals and they didnt eat theirs. was realy bad food! still no need to call the police!
hope you have dried of nicely by now jason? Just get lots of blankets and huddle under your desk hehe
carllota

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum