what did you read as a child ?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

what did you read as a child ?

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:57 pm

was sitting and thinking about what tony wrote about redwall and I was wondering what I had read that involved mice !! then i remembered
thoroughly enjoyed the deptford mice by robin jarvis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deptford_Mice
and also by him
the whitby witches and the whitby child
http://www.robinjarvis.com/homepage.html

also was very into my point horror novels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Horror

what did you enjoy ?
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:29 am

I used to read anything I could get my hands on. That usually included any books that happened to be around the house. There was a lot of Enid Blyton and a truly awful series of books (although I didn't realise it at the time - only when I read one as an adult) about a guardian angel named Wopsy.

I've probably read more 'children's' books as an adult than I ever did as a child.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:42 am

I read everything as well. Anything anyone bought me, and a lot of my parents books too. Although I stopped doing that for a bit when I found Straw Dogs :shock: I think parents might be more aware of inappropriate content on tinternet, tv and games than they are of books!

One of my favourite authors was Eva Ibbotson. Some of her books I still love to read.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Likewise, I read everything and anything, if necessary with the help of a dictionary. I discovered SF early on via the large series of books printed by Panther and simply bought anything they published for several years
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Agatha Christie from my library. I realised that you could get loads of Agatha Christie books in the massive print versions that you couldn't get in the normal size print. I read them all by the time I was 12.

I won an Agatha Christie competition in my local paper when I was 11. You had to connect the first halves of book titles to the correct second halves. They made a mistake and put the same second half down twice, so I pointed it out to them and told them the correct ending.

I got two tickets to see 10 little Indians at the theatre - which was dead good and I still remember it to this day. :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Funny that Pooh, I cannot imagine you publicly pointing out to anyone that thay had done something wrong :D :D

The Mad Collector

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:48 pm

You missed the full stop off the end of your sentence there, Mad. :lol: :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jinx » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:22 am

The Chronicles of Narnia - All of them but especially A Horse and His Boy.
Got them from my uncle when I was about 6(ish).

Also read a book I really liked at the time about a children's adventure on a river barge. Can't really remember much about it now though.
Jinx

Postby Olorin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Chilly Billy!
Olorin

Postby mspanners » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:49 am

I read SciFi of the hard type (A C Clark and that type and not the fantasy stuff) and Astronomy books.... it was very interesting times with new and exciting discoveries being made rapidly.....near the beginning of Space exploration Era.

PS...

If you are not old enough to recall those heady times I would recommend the movie The Dish with Sam Neill in it... the Apollo 11 movie or from Earth to Moon Mini series!

Very exciting times as a child..

I wanted to be an Astronaut!!

I Still do! :lol:
mspanners

Postby feanor » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 am

Ayup All...

Like so many here: Everything and Anything. I have been trying to collect editions of those books I had from my school libraries, but nowadays they're as rare as Hens teeth.

One of my Ultimate Favourites, 'The Anthology of verse' has been broken up into pieces and the lesser known stuff has been omitted (Weck of the Hesperus, when Horatius held the bridge, etc) Pooh is well, pooh. (AA Milnes !) Jabberwocky's thought more of as the film, and all the Edward Lear, well, where is that ?

I loved (but own now!) stuff like 'Gobbolinos Cat, The adventures of the Little wooden Horse, all the Finn family Moomintrolls, Stig of the Dump, The Moon of Gomrath and that kind of stuff. I didn't like the Famous five, and the like, but loved the Comic strips spoof ('Oh Timmy, you are SO Licky !) But have a few 'Naughty Amelia Jane' originals and the like. Trouble was, when I left school, work Intervened, and more 'Factual' books took over...

The first DW book I actually read was 'The Light Fantastic', and actually bought 4 or 5 DW books to start 'from the beginning' and catch up...

Glad I did though. I can't thank Terry enough for all the Laughs he's given me since... :D
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Tiffany » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:31 am

I still love the Books of Beatrix Potter.

I read Monica Edwards pony stories, those are still good today, even won one as a school prize. :lol:

Enid Blyton, Mistletoe Farm series, All the Adventure books, Mallory Towers & Famous Five, Secret 7. Yes re-reading them in later life, they are dreadful. :lol:

I then graduated to the Bronte's & Jane Austen, mainly because we got them as set books at school.

Discovered Dennis Wheatley after that, then Alister Maclean & Desmond Baggley.
Joyce Stranger & Sci-Fi came later in life.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:54 am

Tiffany wrote:I still love the Books of Beatrix Potter.

I never had Beatrix Potter books as a child but have come to appreciate them as an adult. I have been to her house several times and am collecting the books as they come out for 100th anniversary specials. They only print 100 copies of each book as a special edition for worldwide distribution so I am on the collectors mailing and pre-buy before they as issued.

The Mad Collector

Postby mystmoon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:30 pm

I used to read everything, I think I knew my sister's Animal Ark collection better than she did!
I remember loving Thomas the Tank Engine though...
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:24 pm

mspanners wrote:I read SciFi of the hard type (A C Clark and that type and not the fantasy stuff) and Astronomy books.... it was very interesting times with new and exciting discoveries being made rapidly.....near the beginning of Space exploration Era.

PS...

If you are not old enough to recall those heady times I would recommend the movie The Dish with Sam Neill in it... the Apollo 11 movie or from Earth to Moon Mini series!

Very exciting times as a child..

I wanted to be an Astronaut!!

I Still do! :lol:
I was never into Asimov that much read come Clark and loads of others when I was young but always preferred Lin Carter,L Sprague,J. Vance and earlier etc. but yes exciting times. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Children's Books