Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:55 am

Willem wrote:At least, no accounting for the awful taste of the members of the forum. For example, there are people here who think Pyramids is Pratchett's worst, and others who think it's his best (you can recognise them from their straightjackets).

:twisted: I'll post a suitably witty riposte to that insult just as soon as I can get my arms free. Maybe if I bang my head against this padded wall it might help? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 am

Re-read Unseen over the weekend, and gotta say that it still doesn't do anything for me.

A few smiles (Nutt's compliments about Glendas bust), and a "who ate all the pies" reference, but apart from that, I thought it one of his worst.

Please send a straight jacket, as I think Pyramids was good. :wink:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 am

I like Pyramids too - just it's not in my top 5 too much.

I have to say that I'm not too impressed with UA myself but then I wasn't likely to be as I really can't be bothered about football. The WAG aspect of it was good though and I enjoyed the bits with Pepe a lot - Glenda and Nutt were kinda sweet too
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Please send a straight jacket, as I think Pyramids was good. :wink:
You only get one if you think Pyramids is the best or worst book. Straight jackets don't grow on trees you know! :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 am

Tonyblack wrote:You only get one if you think Pyramids is the best or worst book. Straight jackets don't grow on trees you know! :P

I think Pyramids is "third worst," next to "The Colour of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic." Does this at least entitle me to some dried frog pills?

:D

J-I-B
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Thought you were on 'em already Jeff? :shock:

You're certainly not having any of mine! :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Hardly his worst but it was of the same standard as his earlier works rather than his recent works and there were a few poorly explained things like why it was important for the Patrician that the game be a success.

I have two questions which I can't seem to find an answer to no matter how many times I read the book:
a) Does Pepe have a beard
b) Is Jewels short for a human since she can pass for a tall dwarf
One Man Bucket

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 pm

I presume that Pepe has a beard as the only dwarf we know of without a beard is Casanunder.

As to Jewels - I think this is a joke along the lines of saying that a normal sized person is the world's tallest dwarf or the world's shortest giant. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm

I suspect the Patrician wants the new version of the game to be a success because its easier to control than the old version with streets full of people all pushing and fighting.
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I presume that Pepe has a beard as the only dwarf we know of without a beard is Casanunder.

As to Jewels - I think this is a joke along the lines of saying that a normal sized person is the world's tallest dwarf or the world's shortest giant. :)

Mad also lacks a beard. I don't recall Pepe's facial hair or lack thereof being mentioned but I suppose the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Rhys Rhysdaughter

Postby One Man Bucket » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:41 pm

With Rhys casually dismissing his advisers concerns about Jewels and Shatta, it seems to me that his position is much stronger than it's even been. In Fifth Elephant and Thud he seemed to be on tenterhooks whenever he dealt with his people as though any moment he could be unseated. I feel that we're going to see Rhys outing herself sometime within the next few books as he's become to popular and has changed the way dwarfs think to such an extent that it won't be the sort of thing that would have him dethroned
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby high eight » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I presume that Pepe has a beard as the only dwarf we know of without a beard is Casanunder.

Have I missed something? I thought Pepe was human.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 am

I am struggling to get into this [I hate football] :(
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:16 am

*digs up the thread*

Even though I greatly dislike this book, I can't help but wonder: If it would have been written PAST the 2010 world cup, how much would have changed?
With Vuvuzelas, Paul the Octopus, the breaking of the wembley-curse (breaking as in: the scales have been evened again...gods, that game was glorious XD (apologies to all british football fans here)) around, and that only on the topic of football.

You think the story would have went different?
LilMaibe

Postby TheTurtleMoves » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 am

I didn't dislike it but it just wasn't that memorable a story.
"We're on a mission from Glod"
TheTurtleMoves

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels