Unseen Academicals ***SPOILERS***

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
As Patrician I don't think he's actually had too many people killed or even executed - I don't think he makes a habit of it.

We don't really know this, because the only people we hear about are the people who are "saved" from death, like Moist. He certainly does execute criminals who deserve to be put to death, since Vimes is self-assured that Carcer will be hanged at the end of "Night Watch."

It is interesting though, that the criminal element of Ankh-Morpork seem a lot more scared of Vimes and the Watch than they are of Vetinari. After all, Vimes once arrested the Patrician!

On the other hand, he does have a habit of throwing mimes into the scorpion pit, which is about as close to execution as you can get, although not necessarily unjustified... :)

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:36 pm

The mimes are sitting up and begging for it! :lol:

Killings of the past in Nightwatch are long before he got to be Patrician and so don't really count as political despotism - he was a 'freedom fighter' at best :P

I really can't remember whether Vetinari did kill Lord Winder - he certainly could have and got the unofficial credit for it although he wasn't really on Snapcase's side either. Anyway - the other people he killed defending the barricades don't 'count' being Untmentionbles :wink:

Executions authorised as Patrician are dealt with by due process and so are legal and those who are assisted off the mortal coil deserve all they get, even if that's politically expedient. Any sensible ruthless despot doesn't want to create martyrs if he can avoid it and Vetinari is anything but stupid.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:The mimes are sitting up and begging for it! :lol:

I really can't remember whether Vetinari did kill Lord Winder - he certainly could have and got the unofficial credit for it although he wasn't really on Snapcase's side either.

He didn't "physically" kill Winder--he approached him as an assassin and, without laying a hand on him, 'intimidated' Winder into having a heart attack on his own. Classic Weatherwaxian headology, and a classic example of Vetinari's ability to manipulate people to his bidding without them even being aware of it.

Jeff in Boston
raisindot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:54 pm

That was it! :lol: Thanks - I was pretty sure he hadn't actually 'done the deed'.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Unseen Academicals

Postby Les_le_Breton » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:19 pm

I've just finished UA and LOVED it. What appeals about Terry Pratchett's writing is the way he morphes current culture into discworld. I saw Juliet Stollop and Trev Likely as Posh & Becks! As for the usual suspects, I am delighted that Rincewind has found a permanent place and is still owned by the luggage and the librarian is still active. I couldn't put the book down ( like I am with most of Terry Pratchett's).
The cultural references to fashion and the psychology of football were brilliant and very well observed, as were the political nuances of Vetinaris benign dictatorship.
How amazing that the new character of Nutt arrived with the governmental shennanikins over their scientific advisor similarly monikered! There must be another novel in there Sir Terry.
Les_le_Breton

Postby Lady Vetinari » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Did anyone know that Arthur Megapode was one of the unused names for Monty Python's Flying Circus ... :lol:
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Re: Unseen Academicals

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Les_le_Breton wrote: as were the political nuances of Vetinaris benign dictatorship.

*Raises a finger* Tyrant... slight difference, but significant.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Lady Vetinari wrote:Did anyone know that Arthur Megapode was one of the unused names for Monty Python's Flying Circus ... :lol:

LOL no, I had no idea. 8)
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Rincewind-Type of cheese? » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:05 pm

I personally love Unseen University and I loved this book as it was in it. I always chuckle at the Bursar, Dean and Archancellor Ridcully. This book was fantastically enjoyable but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Discworld novels. Maybe No. 8.
Rincewind-Type of cheese?

Postby Rincewind-Type of cheese? » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 am

This book was brilliant, I loved the whole Nobbs (no relation) thing and Hix was a fantastic character.
Ho! The megapode!
Rincewind-Type of cheese?

Postby Ook! » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I really loved the book, considering i am not interested in football in the slightest, i approached it with a certain amount of scepticism. But i was pleased to say it surprised me and i loved it!

I was a little disappointed that Vetinari wasn't the ref though, as he is pictured on the cover (although the age old adage, you can't judge a Patrician by its cover....or something, comes to mind)

Ook!
Ook!

Unseen Academicals uncorrected proof copy?

Postby Dellwak » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 am

I was going to write here about how bad I found the book Unseen Academicals to be. But reading through all the other posts I find that nearly all other readers find the book to be excellent, one of Terry's best.
My copy reads like it was written by some amateur trying to copy the Pratchett style and failing miserably.
Before anyone asks, I have read all of Terry Pratchetts books and have thoroughly enjoyed every single one of them - up until this one. Many of these books are my second or third copies, the previous copies having been read to death.
I now suspect that Amazon.de have sent me a US Advanced Readers Copy or a UK Uncorrected Proof. Is this possible? :?
It is important never to look behind you.
Looking back only slows you down.
Dellwak

Re: Unseen Academicals uncorrected proof copy?

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Dellwak wrote:I was going to write here about how bad I found the book Unseen Academicals to be. But reading through all the other posts I find that nearly all other readers find the book to be excellent, one of Terry's best.
My copy reads like it was written by some amateur trying to copy the Pratchett style and failing miserably.
Before anyone asks, I have read all of Terry Pratchetts books and have thoroughly enjoyed every single one of them - up until this one. Many of these books are my second or third copies, the previous copies having been read to death.
I now suspect that Amazon.de have sent me a US Advanced Readers Copy or a UK Uncorrected Proof. Is this possible? :?
Welcome to the site, Dellwak. :D

I had an advanced copy of Unseen Academicals and it was certainly very disappointing. But when I read the proper copy a second time, I enjoyed it a lot more. I wouldn't say it was one of my favourites by a long way.

It's unlikely that you were sent a proof or advanced copy, but if you did it would have soft covers and should say that it's an advanced copy.

I can only suggest that you read it again some time and see if you like it any better. Some of my favourite Discworld books I didn't much care for on the first reading. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Willem » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:02 am

I didn't like it much either Dellwak, there's no accounting for taste. At least, no accounting for the awful taste of the members of the forum. For example, there are people here who think Pyramids is Pratchett's worst, and others who think it's his best (you can recognise them from their straightjackets).

Wouldn't it be a boring old world if we were all alike, and all that.

Oh, and welcome!
Willem

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 am

Welcome to the forum Dellwak,If you have been sent a proof copy lucky you they are worth a lot of money. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels