I Shall Wear Midnight *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby rferrett » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Err... Am I reading that wrong, should that read "certainly "isnt" the end"?

I thought Snuff was of uncertain status at the moment, or is it the next one?

Ralph
rferrett

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Oops, well spotted, I have corrected my typo. :oops:

Snuff is far from uncertain however, it is largely complete and the part of it read out at convention suggests this is going to be a really good one and it will definitely be the next Discworld book.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 am

Oh, where to begin on this book. First, best book in a long time! Best suspense and character building. I thought UU was the best, and it is for humor, and that ole discworldian feel. I liked ISWM simply because I could not put it down easily at any point. Even when he DW fans complain the lack of chapters so we can say, "Okay Chapter 6. I'll stop here for tonight and go to sleep." Nope, not a chance with this one. I was trying to read this morning falling asleep and he book hit me in the face about 6 times before I grudgingly put it aside, but when I woke up enough it wasn't long until it was back in my hands!

Second, Feegles! I liked that they were more social (if you really want a social feegle) and allowing Tiffany a little more leeway for help and not seem so mysterious and off standing with her people on the Chalk. Wee Mad Arthur finding his true home and the clearing up of his muddled background from previous books is great. Always thought he was more feegleish than gnomeish.

Third and most important as stated earlier in this thread was what Tiffany was fighting against was pure ignorance in all its form. Written, art, people and deed. It was subtle but when it struck me was when Tiff was looking at the tapestry. A simple picture taken in the wrong context can lead to a big misunderstanding.

What I also liked was Preston. Roland was right thinking that he does love Tiff, but he doesn't have the mind or patients to deal with it. He would need all his thinking to rule his country and trying to understand a simple conversation with a wife like Tiff would be too much, but what he is getting in Letita (sp?) is not going to be much better, but maybe being in close quarters and being trained along side Roland might help. I see Letita being more of a kitchen witch then a social witch like Tiff. Preston is definitely more along Tiff's understanding on life and love and how the real world works. I do see him and her having a long and happy life, even if they don't get married, they will have an 'understanding' and might 'make their own entertainment'.

I like that Angua is now a Captain, long over due in my opinion and with the complaints that people had with her being made captain out of a Watch book, Cherry was made a sergeant in between books as well. I always thought of Angua a Captain since Monsterous Regiment.

When the Watchmen yell, “they go the Sarge” when that person is thrown out of the King’s Head was it Colon? I thought it was by the size of the person and helmet?

Boffo! I loved that the masks of the evil wicked witches was from real life, and her son trying to tune a fart kept me laughing!

So much more I want to discuss, but too many thoughts right now. Best book ever in the Discworld, but maybe I am saying that since I just finished it. Must read again when it is availibe for the nook. This will give me time to digest it and go in with fresh eyes.

Oh, yes. (see too many thoughts) I kind of thought after the meeting with Esk and he time travel I looked at the cover and picture and thought it was but the hare necklace was throwing me off. I thought the horse would have been there! But I was right in my surmise!
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby polythenegirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 am

Woo Hoo! First proper post (other than intros and weather lol) so go easy on me!

I have to say although I enjoyed it I was not that impiressed with it. I think it was too fairytale like and had a happilly ever after ending which is really unlike TP IMO. Not such a fan of it, but then I'm not a fan of the Tiffany Aching books anyways (except for the wee free men characters). They seem to be written for the younger readers of Discworld and don't raise enough of a satiricial comparision to real life for me. I found some of the language and the way it was written almost condescending at times.
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

i shall wear midnight

Postby 10luluff » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:43 pm

just finished iswm i loved it i was giggeling on nearly every page terry craks me up,i was delighted by the return of esk i often wonderd what became of her.and i was extatic when granny wetherwax and nanny ogg came for the wedding and funeral,even though they wenrnt a big part of the story there 2 of my favorite charactors and it was nice to know they are still knocking about somewhere and we may hear about them in the future[which is a comfort,to me anyway]i thought the mysteryous old woman in black was granny aching but obviously it was tiffany hooray we know she got there in the end 5 stars from me. ps my spelling is akin to rob anybodys sorry :oops:

am reading small gods now its the only one i dont remember propely.

:D
10luluff

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Welcome to the site 10luluff :D Have you read them all then? Sounds like you have :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Small Gods is an incredible book!

Welcome to the site, 10luluff! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:42 pm

Welcome to the forum 10luluff. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby TXWRX » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Started the book last week and am very much enjoying it but i've skimmed over the rest of the thread, will come back properly when i've finished it!

Seem to be enjoying it more than unseen academicals, although it might just be that i'm in a better frame of mind, need to give it another go i reckon
TXWRX

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 pm

I think the narrative flows better than Unseen Academicals. ISWM pretty much follows Tiffany and what she does. UA tended to jump around to various characters, which could be a little jarring at times. :)
Tonyblack

Postby JustJas92 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:45 am

I just finished and i think it ma be my favorite of all discworld which is not something i say lightly. I just loved it, plan and simple. the hair runs through the fire The sounds of words have been getting me thinking way to much 3rd thoughts and all.

i found this book really inspiring. I loved the Preston its so wonderful for Tiffany to have someone like that. though in the beginning i was very upset about he and Roland. i was so happy that Esk was in it, i have often thought of what happened to her. i actually had that thought just as Tiffany and myself realized it was her.

For some reason this book is really resonating with me. i've read all the discworld novels and love them all in different ways, but ISWM just got me in a whole new way. i think its because i relate to Tiffany more then any other discworld character i feel like i'm a cross between Tiffany, Agnes, and Glenda from UA. but right at the moment Tiffany just gets me. Thank you Sir Pratchett for lighting up my life continuously!!!
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded"
JustJas92

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:52 am

Glad you enjoyed it - I did too! Welcome to the site, JustJas92! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me too JustJas92! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Samsscarf » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:51 am

The Mad Collector wrote:Snuff is far from uncertain however, it is largely complete and the part of it read out at convention suggests this is going to be a really good one and it will definitely be the next Discworld book.

Oh, boy, am I one happy bunny this morning! Image

I didn't know anything about the next Discworld book; just to find out the name is great, but to discover as well that it's going to be about my hero, Sam Vimes, is like having all my birthdays come at once.

You've made my day! Image
Samsscarf

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:25 am

Hi Samsscarf

That smiley is really bugging me. I keep watching it hoping the green one will get to the far right and it never does! :lol:
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels